OT- if you need a Halloween chuckle

holomuku

Okay, for the last few years my DH has not particpated in the Halloween experience whatsoever. I've been the designated candy giver. We don't have children but do enjoy other peoples.....apparently to a limited amount! We get the doorbell ringing nonstop from 5:30 to ??? (I've never had enough candy to last until the end of the T & Ts.....)

For whatever reason- this year I said "I'm not doing it. You can do it or we can go to the movies-- and donate the candy money to the Red Cross." I guess the last few years we've gotten more and more kids, particularly teen-agers and I just don't think that's what it's intended for. I love the little ones and they are so cute-- but I would not have been caught DEAD (no halloween pun intended) trick or treating when I was a teenager. And after all the tragedy that people have experienced of late- I just felt there were better ways to spend the $$. (okay, call me a grump...I think grinch is saved for Christmas).

So he's been in charge of purchasing and distributing candy tonight. I'm guessing we'll have very few Trick 'r Treaters next year- following some of these comments-

"Just how OLD are you??? You look 20."

"Weren't you just here? " (said to a Darth Vader- trust me, there is more than one)

"What are you? A Squirrel?" no...she was a horse. (go figure- must have been the tail)

"what do you think this -- a restaurant where you choose off the menu?" (said to a child who had "checked out" the candy bowl and asked for a specific item...didn't go over well)

and to the impatient youngster who rang the bell twice- "hey, you get half the candy- you rang the bell twice. I'm old- it takes me time to answer the door."

It's been a hoot to sit here and listen to it. Wish I'd had a camera!

And we're out of candy at 6:30 even though he bought more than I did last year when I lasted till 8pm. My guess is he gave all the cute ones lots of extra so he could finish his duties early. :)

I realize this has nothing to do with cruising... but after all that's happened of late it is sort of nice to laugh.

We have tons of trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood every year, I think they are bussed in!

While I agree the teens are too old, I just give them the candy with a friendly comment. Those are the ones you have to worry about the "tricks" they may play on you if you're not nice to them.

We had some adorable little ones last night. The most memorable Darth Vader was probably 5 years old, after I feigned fright, he took off his mask to assure me he wasn't the real Darth Vader.

We had a lot of rain early in the evening which cut down on the neighborhood children who walk. It didn't seem to deter those who 'drive' into the neighborhood! There was a real cute little girl with her daddy (I guess) at the door. I gave her candy and then he holds out 2 bags and says he has 2 twins in his car! I turned out the lights at 8:00 but that didn't stop some ringing the doorbell and knocking even as late as 9:25! Amazing!

I've got two more in the car???

Wow! As my mother (who was a Brit) would say "that's really cheeky"--

you have to wonder if he really did have twins in the car...and if he did or didn't...what kind of a message is he sending to his daughter?

I wonder if we took all the $$ spent on candy in the U.S. this year....and donated it to hurricane victims -- how much difference it could make? (I know, I'm the halloween grump!)

Andrew-

well, at least your office folks got some treats.....good for you for positive intentions.

glad you liked the story. I'm still chuckling and guessing that next year (if we should have the lights on) all the kids will say DON'T GO THERE- it's MEAN MAN!!

Archived