Shuttle to Vancouver airport

gizvic

We will be on an Alaskan cruise on the Millennium next summer. The cruise ends in Vancouver.

I know there are two cruise ports in Vancouver. Do all Celebrity ships dock at the same port? If so, can someone tell me which one that is?

I was looking on the website to try to book a shuttle to the airport that morning. I saw some "combos" like a tour and shuttle, but since our flight leaves at 12:45, we won't have time for that. Does anybody know whether Celebrity offers a shuttle directly to the airport, and, if so, how I go about booking it?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The last time we disembarked in Vancouver was in 2014. Celebrity had a motor coach that took you to the airport. The advantage of this was not needing to go through Canadian customs & immigration. I can't remember what time our flight was except that it was in the early PM and we were at the airport in plenty of time, despite the traffic on a work day. The driver also did tours of Vancouver so we had a running commentary of the sights we were passing. We're hoping to use it again next year.

We were docked at Canada Place for both of our Celebrity cruise in Alaska

We will be on an Alaskan cruise on the Millennium next summer. The cruise ends in Vancouver.

I know there are two cruise ports in Vancouver. Do all Celebrity ships dock at the same port? If so, can someone tell me which one that is?

I was looking on the website to try to book a shuttle to the airport that morning. I saw some "combos" like a tour and shuttle, but since our flight leaves at 12:45, we won't have time for that. Does anybody know whether Celebrity offers a shuttle directly to the airport, and, if so, how I go about booking it?

Thanks so much!

Actually there are no longer two cruise ports - all cruises now use Canada Place and unless we build a brand-new second port they always will. Ballantyne was (thank Bob!) retired a couple of years ago.

Celebrity and all other cruiselines will happily sell you an OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced transfer to the airport. I used all caps for a reason there, as they charge the same PER PERSON as a cab! Two people can get a frickin' LIMO for the same price as a cruiseline transfer!!!

If your sanity is teetering on the brink and you do still want to book one, check your online cruise personalizer - you should be able to book a transfer from on there once it gets closer to the time (they need to factor in exchange rates etc. for the season before setting the price - this year since our dollar went down and their costs did likewise, they increased the prices from US$24pp to US$29pp just to gouge you even more, next year it might be even worse...)

If you decide to stay on the right side of financial sanity, either spend the same and take a limo, save about half your cash and jump in a cab, or spend even less and get there even faster with SkyTrain to the airport ($4pp midweek, $2.75pp weekends and 26min end to end - even adding on the ten minutes to walk the three blocks from the pier and figure out the ticket vending machines makes it fastest unless you literally walk right off the ship first, there are no lineups for cabs, and there's no traffic delays).

Edited by martincath

The last time we disembarked in Vancouver was in 2014. Celebrity had a motor coach that took you to the airport. The advantage of this was not needing to go through Canadian customs & immigration. I can't remember what time our flight was except that it was in the early PM and we were at the airport in plenty of time, despite the traffic on a work day. The driver also did tours of Vancouver so we had a running commentary of the sights we were passing. We're hoping to use it again next year.

We were docked at Canada Place for both of our Celebrity cruise in Alaska

This circumstance is the only one that makes a cruiseline transfer worthwhile - and there are no guarantees it will operate. The program is known as 'US Direct' and, as the name suggests, you board the coach inside the cruise terminal (still technically USA for immigration purposes), the coach door is sealed, and it heads to the US wing of YVR without any stops (also technically USA for immigration purposes). Since you never legally enter Canada, you skip Canadian customs and immigration at the pier AND also US at the airport, saving potentially a couple of hours. In the other direction, nonstop flights in from USA can also do the sealed coach transfer to the US part of the pier.

If the cruiseline can actually confirm that they will do this, it's totally worth paying double the cab fare! But since this program costs money, and requires paperwork, it a) doesn't always operate; b) when it does, sometimes it is only inbound from YVR or only outbound to YVR; c) not all cruiselines sign up for it!

The best place to check if it's happening is on YVR website and Port of Vancouver website - obviously if they are not onboard, the program cannot run! If it is running it tends to be well-publicized on both sites with details of which cruiselines will be using it. AFAIK it did not run in 2015 or 2016, last time it operated was before the upgrade to YVR website to the old page is no longer available...

Last 2 cruises that ended in Vancouver you just handed your Customs card to the officer as you walked thru the terminal, a non-event.

Easy to take a cab to the airport, about 35 CAD fixed (you can use a credit card)

I don't like taking the bus because you have to wait until it fills up. Then you wait again at the airport to get your luggage. And you get to pay more for this experience.

If you don't mind walking 5-10 minutes, take the train for 2.75 CAD per person, run every 12 minutes on weekends, 20 minute ride.

I do agree that if they have the "US Direct" bus, that is worth the money.

Edited by Nachosdelux

Actually there are no longer two cruise ports - all cruises now use Canada Place and unless we build a brand-new second port they always will. Ballantyne was (thank Bob!) retired a couple of years ago.

Celebrity and all other cruiselines will happily sell you an OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced transfer to the airport. I used all caps for a reason there, as they charge the same PER PERSON as a cab! Two people can get a frickin' LIMO for the same price as a cruiseline transfer!!!

If your sanity is teetering on the brink and you do still want to book one, check your online cruise personalizer - you should be able to book a transfer from on there once it gets closer to the time (they need to factor in exchange rates etc. for the season before setting the price - this year since our dollar went down and their costs did likewise, they increased the prices from US$24pp to US$29pp just to gouge you even more, next year it might be even worse...)

If you decide to stay on the right side of financial sanity, either spend the same and take a limo, save about half your cash and jump in a cab, or spend even less and get there even faster with SkyTrain to the airport ($4pp midweek, $2.75pp weekends and 26min end to end - even adding on the ten minutes to walk the three blocks from the pier and figure out the ticket vending machines makes it fastest unless you literally walk right off the ship first, there are no lineups for cabs, and there's no traffic delays).

Thanks for the update on the number of ports.

We are huge fans of public transportation like the Sky train but I'm afraid we'll have more luggage than we'll want to take on that.

I've often wondered how to determine my sanity level. Good to know I now know how to figure it out! ;)

We're on the June 2nd Millennium cruise ending in Vancouver, plan on getting out to the suspension bridge before going to the airport. Working out which company I will do this with this weekend. Basically, you can either add the transfer to your cruise from the Celebrity site or through your TA or do it on your own. I go the DIY route these days.

Nadine

We are on the Millennium, arriving into Vancouver June 9th Last time we caught a shuttle bus, this time plan to take the Sky Train to the Airport Fairmont Hotel, and then tour for the day. Where is the quickest place to find the Sky Train tickets at Canada Place? Must we have Canadian cash to buy one?

We just got back Sept 18 from our cruise which began and ended in Vancouver. We used the Vancouver Shuttle and Charters (Toll Free 1.888.941.2121) for our transfers. It only cost $15 pp and service was excellent. I would recommend them anytime. You need to make reservations ahead of time because they fill up quickly.

We are on the Millennium, arriving into Vancouver June 9th Last time we caught a shuttle bus, this time plan to take the Sky Train to the Airport Fairmont Hotel, and then tour for the day. Where is the quickest place to find the Sky Train tickets at Canada Place? Must we have Canadian cash to buy one?

there are multiple ticket machines in the SkyTrain station lobby.

they take credit cards.

This circumstance is the only one that makes a cruiseline transfer worthwhile - and there are no guarantees it will operate. The program is known as 'US Direct' and, as the name suggests, you board the coach inside the cruise terminal (still technically USA for immigration purposes), the coach door is sealed, and it heads to the US wing of YVR without any stops (also technically USA for immigration purposes). Since you never legally enter Canada, you skip Canadian customs and immigration at the pier AND also US at the airport, saving potentially a couple of hours. In the other direction, nonstop flights in from USA can also do the sealed coach transfer to the US part of the pier.

If the cruiseline can actually confirm that they will do this, it's totally worth paying double the cab fare! But since this program costs money, and requires paperwork, it a) doesn't always operate; b) when it does, sometimes it is only inbound from YVR or only outbound to YVR; c) not all cruiselines sign up for it!

The best place to check if it's happening is on YVR website and Port of Vancouver website - obviously if they are not onboard, the program cannot run! If it is running it tends to be well-publicized on both sites with details of which cruiselines will be using it. AFAIK it did not run in 2015 or 2016, last time it operated was before the upgrade to YVR website to the old page is no longer available...

Thank you. Yes, if that program is available it would be great.

We just got back Sept 18 from our cruise which began and ended in Vancouver. We used the Vancouver Shuttle and Charters (Toll Free 1.888.941.2121) for our transfers. It only cost $15 pp and service was excellent. I would recommend them anytime. You need to make reservations ahead of time because they fill up quickly.

Thank you. That sounds ideal. How did you know what time to arrange a shuttle with them? I'm wondering how we know when we'd be off the ship, and ready for a ride. That's one of the reasons I'd consider the more expensive Celebrity shuttle.

The best place to check if it's happening is on YVR website and Port of Vancouver website - obviously if they are not onboard, the program cannot run! If it is running it tends to be well-publicized on both sites with details of which cruiselines will be using it. AFAIK it did not run in 2015 or 2016, last time it operated was before the upgrade to YVR website to the old page is no longer available...[/

Thanks, that is exactly why we booked it and would do it again next September if offered. We love Vancouver and spent a week there with a dear friend who has sinced passed away. Staying longer after the cruise would bring back bitter sweet memories.

Thank you. That sounds ideal. How did you know what time to arrange a shuttle with them? I'm wondering how we know when we'd be off the ship, and ready for a ride. That's one of the reasons I'd consider the more expensive Celebrity shuttle.

We booked our shuttle for 10:30. We were off the ship in plenty of time. What we observed is if you have a reservation they put you on the next shuttle that comes in if there is room if you are off the ship earlier. We were very pleased with them and would use them again and recommend them also.

We booked our shuttle for 10:30. We were off the ship in plenty of time. What we observed is if you have a reservation they put you on the next shuttle that comes in if there is room if you are off the ship earlier. We were very pleased with them and would use them again and recommend them also.

Thank you!