port area only for us

raad04

We walked around the port area. We half way thought about walking out the fenced in area, but, met so many people walking right back in. We were told that the aggressive vendors were out in force.

We took pics around Margaritaville and shopped the craft market.

I have to say that craft market was delightful. Normally, although I want to see items and find out about the artists, most of the craft markets are filled with such aggressive vendors; I won't stop to visit. This was not so here. I was able to talk to several shop keepers and they were friendly, of course, wanted to make a sale. But, they were happy to share their art experiences.

Therefore, I bought a painting from a lady that her uncle paints. She told me all about him and the paintings were great. You could tell that they used whatever wood they could find to make the canvases, and the canvas itself was just fabric with gesso on it. Wonderful!

I also bought a wood carving of a fish. The lady in that booth shared how they cut the trees, and even how they make the stain for the carvings. Again, just a great experience.

I would have loved to walk around Falmouth, but, I was happy to be able to learn some of the culture and support the artists.

We walked around the port area. We half way thought about walking out the fenced in area, but, met so many people walking right back in. We were told that the aggressive vendors were out in force.

We took pics around Margaritaville and shopped the craft market.

I have to say that craft market was delightful. Normally, although I want to see items and find out about the artists, most of the craft markets are filled with such aggressive vendors; I won't stop to visit. This was not so here. I was able to talk to several shop keepers and they were friendly, of course, wanted to make a sale. But, they were happy to share their art experiences.

Therefore, I bought a painting from a lady that her uncle paints. She told me all about him and the paintings were great. You could tell that they used whatever wood they could find to make the canvases, and the canvas itself was just fabric with gesso on it. Wonderful!

I also bought a wood carving of a fish. The lady in that booth shared how they cut the trees, and even how they make the stain for the carvings. Again, just a great experience.

I would have loved to walk around Falmouth, but, I was happy to be able to learn some of the culture and support the artists.

Was this in Montego Bay?

It was Falmouth. It was very interesting to see the fence around the port, literally a 3 pronged topper. We asked to go through a gate by the water to walk to the end of this peninsula where a catamaran was, but, were stopped by a security guard.

I am sure Jamaica is a beautiful island. It is sad that you don't feel free to wander around.

We have walked Belize, Honduras and Grand Turk, to name a few and never felt unsafe.

I wonder why the cruise ships choose to stop here, if the passengers are so limited to what they can do.

I wonder why the cruise ships choose to stop here, if the passengers are so limited to what they can do.

Royal Caribbean built the Falmouth port and the little fake town too. That is why Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and others they have allowed stop in Falmouth while Carnival mainly stops in Montego Bay (and some times in Ocho Rios).

If you book an excursion/tour you are not limited to what you can do as there are tons of options. Otherwise you are pretty much stuck walking around the fake town. :)

We are on the Oasis of the Seas this week and did the Trolley Tour that was suggested by others. You board inside the secure port area and have 2 stops through the town of Falmouth. It wasn't a hop-off hop-on Trolley like they have in othere cities. But, we enjoyed it. It showed us the city. The tour guide was great! The cost was $25 per person and worth it for the 1 hour tour.

After the tour, we walked one block into the city and returned to the secure area.

It was Falmouth. It was very interesting to see the fence around the port, literally a 3 pronged topper. We asked to go through a gate by the water to walk to the end of this peninsula where a catamaran was, but, were stopped by a security guard.

I am sure Jamaica is a beautiful island. It is sad that you don't feel free to wander around.

We have walked Belize, Honduras and Grand Turk, to name a few and never felt unsafe.

You can go into the town and wander around. I have done it twice. There were people wanted to be my friend or sell weed but I just said no. Also there is a presence of what I call tourist facilitators there to head off problems. And I had no problems. It is not beautiful in the town though.