Rhapsody from Venice

glittergal1

Hi glitter gal, we r looking to stay Before the cruise, any suggestions abt Venice would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are staying just 1 night then I would recommend staying close to Piazza Roma within walking only 5/10 minutes and think about how many bridges there are to cross with luggage . or are you staying longer?

• 2 months later...

If you are looking for something reasonably priced, which is maybe an oxymoron in Venice, then I can recommend the Villa Rosa. It is near the train station, about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the end of the people mover. One bridge to cross, but it is a big bridge. There are porters, official and non-official that will help you with the luggage for a fee. That is really the only drawback. The hotel is in a residential area and down a small ally. We stayed there in September 2016 and enjoyed the stay. Rooms have been renovated, the front desk was helpful in recommending restaurants in the area, they store luggage if you are there early in the morning and the rooms aren't ready, and they have a very good breakfast. It was the most reasonable place I could find near the cruise port. Plus there is quite a bit going on in the area after dark.

I don't want to muddy the waters with a remark that may be completely inapplicable here, but we cruised out of Venice several years ago (different cruise line), and on embarkation they took our passports. I was in desperate need of a pay phone (didn't get a European cell package, my mistake), so a crew member sent me back down into the terminal to use a phone. I assumed (wrongly) that since I was just going into the terminal, I'd be let back on with my Sea Pass. I was very wrong. I had a terrible time getting back on the ship partly because of the language barrier, and partly because I didn't have my passport. I finally found a crew member who had seen me disembark and I was allowed back on. Scary stuff. All that to ask: Once you're onboard, will they let you get back off before sail away? (Maybe they don't take passports anymore.)

My husband and I will be on the same cruise:) Interested in hotels also.

If you have Marriott points and don't mind a 20 min bus ride (stops in front of the hotel and ends at Plaza Roma), the Courtyard by the airport is pretty nice. Like any other city you are trading price for convenience/location.

My husband and I will be on the same cruise:) Interested in hotels also.

I've stayed at hotel Arlecchino. It is one small bridge from Piazzle Roma. Convenient from the airport and cruise port.

I've also stayed near St Marks at Hotel Violino d'Oro. I would recommend both. Not as convenient for public transportation.

Dena

Sent from my iPad using Forums