Thomas Cook or Thomson Flight to the Caribbean ?

jody75

We would choose Thomson every time. We have been on both and on each flight Thomson was far superior. We travelled Premium on both lines and there was a difference between what the two lines offered. On Thomson we had proper glasses for a drink of fizz before we left. When wine was served with the meal again we had proper glasses and the wine was served from full wine bottles, we were not given the little bottles. The steward came round regularly to top up glasses and to offer more drinks.

The in flight entertainment was superior on Thomson too. We had individual zapper things and we could choose when we wanted to watch a film and could pause it and restart if we wished. On Thomas Cook the films were on a loop so you could not choose when to start watching a film. I ended up watching the last half of a film first and then the beginning! The seats were far more comfortable on Thomson too. Both times we have been with Thomas Cook the seats have looked somewhat the worse for wear.

So if there was a choice I would definitely choose Thomson over Thomas Cook.

We have also been on both to the Caribbean last year was with Thomas Cook. It was a new plane with up to date in flight entertainment and you could choose what you wanted to watch. I believe all their planes now have this system.

There was good leg room in economy.

The seating configuration was better for us because there are 2 of us ( 2-4-2 whereas on the Thomson Dreamliner it is 3-3-3.)

Neither airlines serve complimentary drinks unless you are in premium economy.

We thought the service was slightly better on Thomas Cook than on Thomson the previous year we saw more of the crew and they didnt disappear for long periods.

Saying that we we would be happy on either because they were both ok.

If you intend to book a P&O cruise in Premium Economy be very careful.

In their T&C they quote that Emergency Exit seats are charged at £60 (extra leg room seats are N/A), all other seats are charged at £20.

On Thomson flights the Row 1 seats are charged at £20 each whilst on Thomas Cook flights the same seats cost £60 each. Neither are Emergency Exit seats as there is a Bulkhead between the seats and the the exit, they are the same on both flights. Another P&O bizarre decision - Be warned

These charges are levied and retained by P&O not the airline.

Been on both, premium Thomson(Jan15) and economy TC (Jan16). Have to admit to being a little worried about TC but as earlier posted the refurbished cabins are quite good. The Thomson 787 is supposed to offer a better flying experience but I thought they were pretty much the same.... I was tired when I got off both! Cabin crew were fine on both but film selection was better on TC than Thomsons (luck I guess). The 787 feels newer and is nice but the 333 seating in economy (232 in Premium) does cause a few problems as most people are travelling as couples. I would certainly recommend booking seats on Thomsons in premium as I think there are only 8/9 rows and there was certainly some complaints on our flight out about couples not being able to sit together. Food again is subjective (and is my industry so difficult) but TC was far better than Thomsons on our flight. On Thomsons we were in row 2 so 2nd couple to place our order for main meal and the cabin crew were already asking us if we would mind having x rather than y as they knew they were going to run out and that's in premium. I am sure others will say exactly the opposite to my opinion and that's fine. In the end its a means to getting on holiday and it's not scheduled or business class. You will have a great time whichever you get.

We flew out to Barbados with Thomson this year to join Azura for her transatlantic crossing. The Thomson flight was on a Dreamliner, it had a lot more leg room then we expected and found the plane very comfortable (we were in economy) those who flew with Thomas Cook did not have such a good flight and they said the food was pretty awful. The food with Thomson was good - well as good as airline food can be! We would choose Thomson from now on.

We flew out from Manchester to Barbados for the transatlantic on the Airbus A330-200 (332).

Very modern and plenty of space not cramped at all ,even had half a dozen loo's downstairs as well as the front and rear set which kept the queues down.

Food was the James Martin menu and was pretty good for airline food.

The sandwiches they served were fine too as was the free ice cream cone .

To say we were in economy we had nothing to moan about ,the drinks were fine and so was the free head set everyone was given for the flight entertainment which you could pause or rewind to suit , it would even auto pause should the pilot decide to talk to the passengers .

We thought we would arrive tired but to be fair we was not, until on board the ship sat waiting for the life boat drill.

I'm sure Thomson also offer a good flight experience on the new Dreamliner but we as a couple were happy with the two seat arrangement that the Airbus had to offer.

We were more than happy with that flight and will be booking on the same flight for next years cruise.

Edited by kalos

AFAIK the airline you fly with is determined by the airport you fly from - from Gatwick we just had the choice of Thomas Cook. We were in Economy and found the seats and legroom comfy enough and the choice of films was OK - seatback screen that you could control as you wished. We were very impressed with the James Martin food - sausage and mash which actually tasted like sausage and mash! With all the bits and bobs which came with it, it ended up being quite substantial. Our only gripe was no headsets on the return flight, so no in-flight entertainment. The cabin crew claimed we had been told to retain them on the outbound flight for use on the return, but a whole plane full of passengers who hadn't done so was testament to the fact we'd received no such instruction.

AFAIK the airline you fly with is determined by the airport you fly from - from Gatwick we just had the choice of Thomas Cook. We were in Economy and found the seats and legroom comfy enough and the choice of films was OK - seatback screen that you could control as you wished. We were very impressed with the James Martin food - sausage and mash which actually tasted like sausage and mash! With all the bits and bobs which came with it, it ended up being quite substantial. Our only gripe was no headsets on the return flight, so no in-flight entertainment. The cabin crew claimed we had been told to retain them on the outbound flight for use on the return, but a whole plane full of passengers who hadn't done so was testament to the fact we'd received no such instruction.

Thompson also ask you to keep your earphones, they put a cabin message out on the outward journey.

Thompson also ask you to keep your earphones, they put a cabin message out on the outward journey.

Well on this occasion TC didn't. I'm one of those goody-goodies who always listens to announcements and I didn't hear anything, nor did rest of family and, as I said, every other passenger who went out on our flight. They had a few sets for the return journey but soon ran out and it was when people started complaining that they couldn't use the in-flight entertainment they claimed we'd been asked to retain them. Maybe we should have been and the outbound crew just forgot the announcement.

Well on this occasion TC didn't. I'm one of those goody-goodies who always listens to announcements and I didn't hear anything, nor did rest of family and, as I said, every other passenger who went out on our flight. They had a few sets for the return journey but soon ran out and it was when people started complaining that they couldn't use the in-flight entertainment they claimed we'd been asked to retain them. Maybe we should have been and the outbound crew just forgot the announcement.

Just as a matter of interest regarding the headsets/earphones......is the jack the same as the common one used for pcs/phones?? Just wondering whether my own headphones would work with their system?

Thank you :)

Just as a matter of interest regarding the headsets/earphones......is the jack the same as the common one used for pcs/phones?? Just wondering whether my own headphones would work with their system?

Regarding Thomas Cook headsets they come in a plastic re zip clear bag and also have a two pin adapter for use on other aircraft but they have the single jack that works on laptops , so to answer your question yes your head set should work . They are yours to keep .

This short film will show you the inside of the

Edited by kalos

Hi all

TC for me I prefer the seat config. I am okay on the OB flight as it's day time but the iB flight is a different matter as it's night time and I need my sleep and struggle to sleep in the air so the seat config. is important to me.

We have done the P & o Caribbean for a number of years now and always on the Thomson flight, paid for bulk head seats extra leg room seats and last year asked for the TC flight so we see if it suited us better and it did better food but love James Martin anyway the seating was much better.

Not booked this years yet as waiting to see if a 3 berth cabin comes available then we can take our grandson

My experience was with Thompson not TC, never been on TC so I cant comment.

The Thompson ones were two pronged which I found odd, I didn't try my own ones as we kept the ones from the outbound trip however I did have to get mine changed as they didn't work.

Yes, as Kalos said, they have the single jack. The kids had their gadgets with them so were able to use their headphones on the TV system.