Is The Haven really needed?

NewbieAce

Unless something has changed within the past couple of weeks I don't believe there is any priority line for customs ...no matter who you are ...there certainly is priority disembarkation but once you're off the ship everyone is the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We didn't have that either when we cruised in August on Breakaway. Maybe that's something special with the port they sailed from.

We just sailed for the first time on The Breakaway 9/18-9/25. I heard a lot of people making sarcastic comments about the Haven and just assumed it was jealousy at first...however, I quickly realized where the hostility was coming from.

For Embarkation they block an entire elevator (with Red Velvet ropes and a NCL employee) Just for THE HAVEN people.

At ALL shows (Free and Paid) they have the Red velvet ropes and NCL Employee blocking off 4-5 Rows in the theater. Once the show starts they remove the Ropes on the rows that No Haven people chose to sit in, but leave the ropes on the rows where they did, even if only 2 people sat in the entire row.

We paid for the Jungle Fantasy show and arrived an hour early, along with 4 other couples. 20 Mins prior to the doors opening an NCL employee came out and asked us all to move to a hallway out of site of the entrance to allow The Haven people to enter first without us being seen. Several people made comments about that, it was pretty insulting.

The Haven people also have a special line for Customs that allows them to skip the entire line.

It gets to the point of being insulting to the rest of the people that paid only slightly less than The Haven members...

Anyone else feel that way?

First my question to you, Why were you in the auditorium 20 minutes BEFORE the doors opening? My guess is you weren't supposed to be in there yet so they asked you to leave. Second I have never sailed in the Haven as it is not in my current budget, but have never been bothered that there was a Haven on board. Never even missed it or the perks or noticed the people who sailed in them. Those who do sail in the Haven pay for the Haven experience which includes the items listed in your complaint above. These people do not pay "slightly" more as you noted above. Every time I look at the prices it is 2-3x more plus than the balcony room I am looking at. If you really want the Haven experience then you will need dig into your pocket and pay for it just like they did. Is the Haven really needed? Needed, probably not. But if people are willing to pay for it then there is a Market that NCL is catering to. Your complaints appear to me to be just plain green eyed jealousy.

first my question to you, why were you in the auditorium 20 minutes before the doors opening? My guess is you weren't supposed to be in there yet so they asked you to leave. Second i have never sailed in the haven as it is not in my current budget, but have never been bothered that there was a haven on board. Never even missed it or the perks or noticed the people who sailed in them. Those who do sail in the haven pay for the haven experience which includes the items listed in your complaint above. These people do not pay "slightly" more as you noted above. Every time i look at the prices it is 2-3x more plus than the balcony room i am looking at. If you really want the haven experience then you will need dig into your pocket and pay for it just like they did. Is the haven really needed? Needed, probably not. But if people are willing to pay for it then there is a market that ncl is catering to. Your complaints appear to me to be just plain green eyed jealousy.

+1 ;)

First my question to you, Why were you in the auditorium 20 minutes BEFORE the doors opening? My guess is you weren't supposed to be in there yet so they asked you to leave. Second I have never sailed in the Haven as it is not in my current budget, but have never been bothered that there was a Haven on board. Never even missed it or the perks or noticed the people who sailed in them. Those who do sail in the Haven pay for the Haven experience which includes the items listed in your complaint above. These people do not pay "slightly" more as you noted above. Every time I look at the prices it is 2-3x more plus than the balcony room I am looking at. If you really want the Haven experience then you will need dig into your pocket and pay for it just like they did. Is the Haven really needed? Needed, probably not. But if people are willing to pay for it then there is a Market that NCL is catering to. Your complaints appear to me to be just plain green eyed jealousy.

I also would like to know how Op got into the show 20 minutes before the doors opened.

These people do not pay "slightly" more as you noted above. Every time I look at the prices it is 2-3x more plus than the balcony room I am looking at. If you really want the Haven experience then you will need dig into your pocket and pay for it just like they did.

I've looked at the prices too. If it was $1000 more, I'd be in the Haven on every cruise. But it's not.:o:(

I was on the BA in May, and (because of CC advice) arrived very early for Jungle Fantasy. I think we were the 2nd or 3rd people to show up. We stood in line and weren't asked to move out of sight or to even move. When they allowed us in there were some people already seated.

Maybe your group wasn't standing in the right place or maybe they changed the entrance for The Haven people.

In any event, I think it would have been insulting if you were seated and then a Haven guest wanted that seat.....but as far as "the moving"....they needed that space. It wasn't to keep you out of sight.

To add after reading a few of the above posts: If OP was already in the room before the doors opened, it was only logical for the staff to have them move to the hallway (where I stood) so that the Haven guests could choose their seats. They paid for the privilege.

Edited by April42749

First my question to you, Why were you in the auditorium 20 minutes BEFORE the doors opening? My guess is you weren't supposed to be in there yet so they asked you to leave.

I think he wasn't in the auditorium but standing by the last door going inside to be first into the theater and they asked him to move out to the main hallway. I like the idea that the Haven guests use a special secret door, maybe a trap door under the stage, as not to upset those few people that got there early. There are a certain Southwest Airlines crowd out there that doesn't even want to know that such an elite level exists and they might be attracted by NCL's whole Freestyle system of wearing shorts and flip flops to dinner.

i've looked at the prices too. If it was $1000 more, i'd be in the haven on every cruise. But it's not.:o:(

i was on the ba in may, and (because of cc advice) arrived very early for jungle fantasy. I think we were the 2nd or 3rd people to show up. We stood in line and weren't asked to move out of sight or to even move. When they allowed us in there were some people already seated.

Maybe your group wasn't standing in the right place or maybe they changed the entrance for the haven people.

In any event, i think it would have been insulting if you were seated and then a haven guest wanted that seat.....but as far as "the moving"....they needed that space. It wasn't to keep you out of sight.

To add after reading a few of the above posts: If op was already in the room before the doors opened, it was only logical for the staff to have them move to the hallway (where i stood) so that the haven guests could choose their seats. They paid for the privilege.

i think he wasn't in the auditorium but standing by the last door going inside to be first into the theater and they asked him to move out to the main hallway. I like the idea that the haven guests use a special secret door, maybe a trap door under the stage, as not to upset those few people that got there early. There are a certain southwest airlines crowd out there that doesn't even want to know that such an elite level exists and they might be attracted by ncl's whole freestyle system of wearing shorts and flip flops to dinner.

+3 ;)

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

We enjoy suites and the haven because we prefer to have a separate bedroom and sitting area since my husband wakes up much earlier than I do usually. We also love the private dining options and priority embarkation. We pay for that service and don't feel bad about using it. I am sorry that you had a bad experience, but people in the haven usually don't want you to be upset, we just enjoy the perks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We were not IN the auditorium. We were OUTSIDE where the normal line forms. Hence why I said "20 mins prior to the doors opening". We were standing outside near the entrance, off to the side... the worker came out, moved us all away from the Area all together and told us they were letting Haven people in... which is 100% Fine that they go first... but why hide us as if we are scum that can't be seen. I hardly think the few people standing there were "in the way" it's a very big area to stand in? That's my point.

Edited by NewbieAce

We were not IN the auditorium. We were OUTSIDE where the normal line forms. Hence why I said "20 mins prior to the doors opening". We were standing outside near the entrance, off to the side... the worker came out, moved us all away from the Area all together and told us they were letting Haven people in... which is 100% Fine that they go first... but why hide us as if we are scum that can't be seen. I hardly think the few people standing there were "in the way" it's a very big area to stand in? That's my point.

With this new information, it seems like the employee was out of line (no pun intended).

That isn't typical of what Haven guests receive nor is it typical of how non-Haven guests are treated.

I think he wasn't in the auditorium but standing by the last door going inside to be first into the theater and they asked him to move out to the main hallway. I like the idea that the Haven guests use a special secret door, maybe a trap door under the stage, as not to upset those few people that got there early. There are a certain Southwest Airlines crowd out there that doesn't even want to know that such an elite level exists and they might be attracted by NCL's whole Freestyle system of wearing shorts and flip flops to dinner.

On the GA, the concierge takes you to a different door than non-Haven guests use for the illusion show. We were seated 15 min before the doors opened.

Edited by bzmom2girls

Since you were standing outside and waiting for doors to open, I agree that it's odd the staff member asked you to move so Haven people wouldn't see you. I probably would have asked the crew member what the issue was, since you weren't getting seated, you were waiting until the seating opened. I hate complaining to the Hotel or Entertainment Director, but I think I probably would have said something.

Wow. I have only read the first 2 pages and shaking my head ... We have sailed Haven and non Haven .. Upsell and full price ... You get what you pay for ... Am I wrong for taking advantage of an upsell ?

There are so many perks that make it worth it especially when you are on a full ship ( Christmas) ...

We do not go around the ship touting we are "Haven" peeps but we do take advantage of what it offers-

If you can do it go for it ... But please don't look down on those of us that do enjoy it

Life is short ... You only get one walk around the world ... Live like you can and love every minute ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They did not "hide" us the first time. Which is a large reason why we were so baffled.

So, it is definately NOT "standard operating procedure", maybe just a "rogue employee"?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

Absolutely this.

It is an extremely rare occasion that I even notice that the Haven is there. It is just something that never affects us at all during a cruise.

It sounds like the OP was on a cruise where someone involved with the Haven was going out of their way to show how much better the Haven people were treated. I have no idea why that would be, but it is the complete opposite of my experiences.

Agreed. I never once even noticed the Haven or anyone in the Haven or the exclusive perks offered to those in the Haven on our Epic cruise. Frankly if someone wanted to make me feel bad about not having those perks , they literally would have to tell me "right now, I am attempting to make you feel left out of something great." I never even notice what others have or are getting. I'm too busy having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is known as priority embarkation . The 15 other elevators are for everyone else.

This is known as priority seating.

This is because you weren't supposed to let yourself in and sit down. The same way that you couldn't just walk onto the ship whenever you wanted during embarkation.

This is known as priority disembarkation.

Imagine how it would be insulting if Haven guests who paid more were treated the same as those who didn't pay to be Haven guests.

The solution is simple. Book a Haven suite on your next cruise and see if you feel that the added cost is worth it. If it is, you may feel differently about the Haven experience.

We were in The Haven last Cruise and even though we got a great deal because it was an upsell it was still a lot more expensive than I could afford on a regular basis. It was still a great experience but not one I could afford to repeat on every Cruise. It was great getting good seats for the dinner show that we booked but in all truth that was the only time we were seated in reserved seating because the reserved seats in the Main Theatre are on the side and about 8 to 10 rows back where as I like to be seated in the center on Row 3 or 4. So we just worked to arrive early enough to get the seats that I wanted.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

This is what I think happened.

As I recall, when waiting to enter the show, we waited in a narrow hallway a little away from the doors. As I said earlier, we were almost at the front of the line. I don't recall seeing anyone enter before us, but when we got in, there were people already seated.

There is also another entrance (DH needed the bathroom during the show and he was directed to that entrance) where Haven guests must enter.

On the night of the OPs "Jungle Fantasy" for "whatever reason" the second entrance was unavailable so the Haven group had to enter at "the main entrance".

Since that passage is rather narrow, instead of people cramming into a small place and "regular folks" mixing with the Haven people and getting priority seating that they weren't entitled to, those in line were asked to move for a few minutes.

I sincerely doubt it was done so the Haven folks didn't have to see "steerage".