International Flights Question

tlund

We are leaving next month on a river cruise on AMA Waterways. Some of our group are flying on Lot Airlines from Chicago to Budapest, with a connection in Warsaw. Since this will be the first international trip, we are uncertain as to the procedure in the Warsaw airport. Once we get off the flight in Warsaw, do we have to go through some passport check or something like that? Will the luggage just go on to Budapest without us having to worry about it? We only have a layover of 1 hour and 40 minutes and unfortunately, the on time history for our flight from Chicago doesn't seem to show a good history. If we have to go through some passport check, we are going to have to prepare to rush off the plane. Any guidance?

As long as your connection is to the same airline or one with which they have an interline agreement, you bags will be checked through to your final destination.

It is not like the USA where you have to collect bags and clear customs at the point of entry.

We are leaving next month on a river cruise on AMA Waterways. Some of our group are flying on Lot Airlines from Chicago to Budapest, with a connection in Warsaw. Since this will be the first international trip, we are uncertain as to the procedure in the Warsaw airport. Once we get off the flight in Warsaw, do we have to go through some passport check or something like that? Will the luggage just go on to Budapest without us having to worry about it? We only have a layover of 1 hour and 40 minutes and unfortunately, the on time history for our flight from Chicago doesn't seem to show a good history. If we have to go through some passport check, we are going to have to prepare to rush off the plane. Any guidance?

Some of you group is on LOT. Who are you on?

Are you on the same airline through the connection?

Are you U.S. citizens with U.S. passports?

Without knowing any of these answers, I would guess you would be fine. We just did 13 countries on 9 airlines and did fine.

Haven't flown Lot but you should expect to go through passport control and security in Warsaw. Long haul flights come in at one end of the terminal and short haul go out from the other end. There's a very good chance you'll have to take a bus from the terminal to the plane for your flight to Budapest...and this can take a good 15-20 minutes...so you're probably ok on time but there will be no time for shopping or eating. Good news is Warsaw airport isn't as big as say Frankfort or Amsterdam. There are signs in several languages and English is included.

I suggest you ask either at check in or the cabin attendant on your flight from Chicago to Warsaw if you will have to go through passport control and security to continue on to Budapest and if you have to claim your luggage. If you're flying Lot from Warsaw to Budapest you will check your luggage straight through from Chicago to Budapest and you should not have to claim it until Budapest..

Edited by Hydrokitty

Poland and Hungary are both members of the Schengen group of countries (most of the EU is in Schengen and most of Schengen are EU countries, but there is NOT an exact match). You will have passport control in Warsaw where there will probably be an "EU" line and an "non EU" line. In Warsaw you will get your Schengen Zone entry stamp in your passport; you might be asked nothing or possibly how long are you staying or where are you going. The immigration officer might speak perfect English or might not; it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of your itinerary in the unlikely event that there are more than perfunctory questions. All airports you will be in will have signs in multiple languages including English. Your Warsaw to Budapest flight is within Schengen and there should be no further passport check at BUD. Your luggage should be checked all the way through to BUD; at BUD collect your luggage; leaving Baggage Claim there will be a Red Lane exit if you have something to Declare (as a tourist this is not likely) and a Green Lane exit (nothing to Declare). You may be stopped and questioned going through the Green Lane, but unless you look suspicious being questioned would be unusual. Walk out the door and both you and your luggage are now in Schengen. If you are being met your party should probably be just outside the Green Lane exit.

At some point you will leave Schengen; most cruises from Budapest go up the Danube toward Germany so I'll assume that. At the end of your trip you may or may not have a connecting flight within Schengen; at your final airport in Schengen (probably where you board your flight back to the US) you will go through a passport control and you will get a Schengen exit stamp.

I have given a lot of detail, but all of this is pretty well marked and obvious when you are there. ENJOY your cruise.

Thom

I suggest you ask either at check in or the cabin attendant on your flight from Chicago to Warsaw if you will have to go through passport control and security to continue on to Budapest and if you have to claim your luggage.

This bit is generally pretty easy in Europe.

The bags decision will be made at check-in, if they can check the bags through you'll see that on your bag receipt and you will not need to do anything about the bags until you arrive at your final destination.

This bit is generally pretty easy in Europe.

The bags decision will be made at check-in, if they can check the bags through you'll see that on your bag receipt and you will not need to do anything about the bags until you arrive at your final destination.

you're right of course, but op didn't make it clear that he was on Lot all the way and since he said he was new to international travel i figured the more info the better. :D it can be scary landing in a foreign country the first time.....

....but op didn't make it clear that he was on Lot all the way .......

Actually, the OP did not make it clear that the he/she was actually on LOT at all.

Quote: "...Some of our group are flying on Lot Airlines... "

you're right of course, but op didn't make it clear that he was on Lot all the way and since he said he was new to international travel i figured the more info the better. :D it can be scary landing in a foreign country the first time.....

Understood, and yes I agree, it must be potentially scary if not familiar with the process.

I was more commenting on there being no point in asking the cabin attendant as it will 100% be resolved one way on another at check-in.

Hopefully in a positive way with the bags being checked through to the final destination, but one way or another the OP will know before they get handed their boarding cards.

Thank you all for your valuable information. I'm learning a lot about traveling through the foreign countries and the Schengen agreement. I really wanted to get detailed instructions as my parents and other older relatives are the ones traveling on this itinerary without us. I want to make sure I write down exactly what they need to do and what papers to have handy when they get to the airport. The group traveling on LOT are going all the way on LOT and the trip was booked all at once on one fare. So, the baggage issue shouldn't be a problem as long as they just make sure that their luggage tag shows the end destination as Budapest.

For my husband and I, we are traveling from the USA directly to London, then on to Budapest on British Airways. I already have our specific instructions about what to do when we arrive in London (plus they speak English there).

On the way back home, the others in the group are flying back from Munich to Chicago, again through Warsaw on LOT. My husband and I are flying from Munich to Chicago, through London, first on British Airways then on American Airlines.

Looking forward to this trip. Just want to get the details down so it will be smooth sailing.

...my husband and I, we are traveling from the USA directly to London, then on to Budapest on British Airways. I already have our specific instructions about what to do when we arrive in London (plus they speak English there).

On the way back home, the others in the group are flying back from Munich to Chicago, again through Warsaw on LOT. My husband and I are flying from Munich to Chicago, through London, first on British Airways then on American Airlines...

NOTE that the UK is NOT in Schengen ( this has both nothing to do with Brexit; UK has never been in Schengen). In London you should be "in transit" and not have to clear UK immigration (but will probably have addition security checks). Your bags should be checked all the way through to BUD (assuming you are not laying over in London). {I just noticed that you said that you already have London directions; I hope I am agreeing with them:rolleyes:).You will get your Schengen entry stamp at BUD, then collect your luggage and follow direction I gave before.

Coming home you will get your Schengen exit stamp at MUC, on the way to London). The other group will still be Schengen until they are departing Warsaw, so that is where they get their exit stamps.

Thom

One comment about changing planes in Heathrow, you will have to go through security again, even if in the same terminal. Do not tell them you are in a hurry to catch your connecting flight (like we did), as it made them check our bags even more thoroughly & ended up being slower. We ended up having to run to catch our flight.

One comment about changing planes in Heathrow, you will have to go through security again, even if in the same terminal. Do not tell them you are in a hurry to catch your connecting flight (like we did), as it made them check our bags even more thoroughly & ended up being slower. We ended up having to run to catch our flight.

Thanks. We have substantial time in London so we are good.

NOTE that the UK is NOT in Schengen ( this has both nothing to do with Brexit; UK has never been in Schengen). In London you should be "in transit" and not have to clear UK immigration (but will probably have addition security checks). Your bags should be checked all the way through to BUD (assuming you are not laying over in London). {I just noticed that you said that you already have London directions; I hope I am agreeing with them:rolleyes:).You will get your Schengen entry stamp at BUD, then collect your luggage and follow direction I gave before.

Coming home you will get your Schengen exit stamp at MUC, on the way to London). The other group will still be Schengen until they are departing Warsaw, so that is where they get their exit stamps.

Thom

Thanks. British Airways provided good instructions on what to do in the London airport so we are good on that front. I was more concerned with the older passengers on LOT airlines because the airline website didn't provide very detailed information on what to do when connecting there. I thank you for your detailed instructions and will be providing that to my family members. I hope an hour and 40 minutes will be enough time for them to get off the plane, get through the passport check and board the next plane.

flew LOT JFK to Warsaw and connection to Budapest last year

would use them again in a heart beat .... VERY VERY happy. (We did fly the "middle class" that gave us bigger seats, better food and free drinks) The plane was a brand spankin new 787 Dreamliner that may have still had the sticker in the window.

In Warsaw we found a very modern airport where we quickly deplaned and passed thru passport control - NO CROWD anywhere. From there we went to the main terminal to wait for our connection. We'd arrived over an hour early but 90 minutes would have been PLENTY of time. Arriving in the early AM, we found a new clean and modern terminal with several options to get some food (including McDonalds) and free WiFi.

Our plane to Budapest was a much smaller plane but we boarded thru a "real gate". We never saw our bags between JFK and Budapest and even one being tagged 'overweight' was not an issue.

(we came back on QM2 with a balcony for less $ than the flight over ..... but it WAS 9 days <from Hamburg> versus 1)

flew LOT JFK to Warsaw and connection to Budapest last year

would use them again in a heart beat .... VERY VERY happy. (We did fly the "middle class" that gave us bigger seats, better food and free drinks) The plane was a brand spankin new 787 Dreamliner that may have still had the sticker in the window.

In Warsaw we found a very modern airport where we quickly deplaned and passed thru passport control - NO CROWD anywhere. From there we went to the main terminal to wait for our connection. We'd arrived over an hour early but 90 minutes would have been PLENTY of time. Arriving in the early AM, we found a new clean and modern terminal with several options to get some food (including McDonalds) and free WiFi.

Our plane to Budapest was a much smaller plane but we boarded thru a "real gate". We never saw our bags between JFK and Budapest and even one being tagged 'overweight' was not an issue.

(we came back on QM2 with a balcony for less $ than the flight over ..... but it WAS 9 days <from Hamburg> versus 1)

Great to hear. My mom paid extra for the wider seats so she'll be happy to hear that was worth it. I am going to think positive that they will be fine in their travels.

Great to hear. My mom paid extra for the wider seats so she'll be happy to hear that was worth it. I am going to think positive that they will be fine in their travels.

What airline is that?

In all my travels on maybe 20 different airlines, the only "wider" seats were in business/first. All economy seats were the same. Some of the newer "economy plus" that you spend a bit extra for do have a bit more room from front to back (few inches), but the width is the same. They can not make the plane wider.

Not trying to be negative, but you need to have correct expectations. If you tell us what airline/flight I can direct you to a seat map.

Edited by garycarla

What airline is that?

In all my travels on maybe 20 different airlines, the only "wider" seats were in business/first. All economy seats were the same. Some of the newer "economy plus" that you spend a bit extra for do have a bit more room from front to back (few inches), but the width is the same. They can not make the plane wider.

Not trying to be negative, but you need to have correct expectations. If you tell us what airline/flight I can direct you to a seat map.

How about LH A330 and 340? Standard economy 2-4-2 . . . PE 2-3-2. Not a lot of extra width, but every inch helps.

Edited by CPT Trips

How about LH A330 and 340? Standard economy 2-4-2 . . . PE 2-3-2. Not a lot of extra width, but every inch helps.

You are right. There are a FEW airlines that have taken one seat out of the row. But, if you are that middle person in the 3 section, it will be less noticeable.

Actually, when we do fly coach, we look for planes that have 2 seats on one side or the other. As a couple, it is a significant difference to just have the two of us, no matter how wide the seats are.

Thanks. British Airways provided good instructions on what to do in the London airport so we are good on that front. I was more concerned with the older passengers on LOT airlines because the airline website didn't provide very detailed information on what to do ....

Folks will be fine.

I am thinking the vast majority of folks, even first timers, do no have any advance instructions. They just get off the plane and either follow the signs, or ask.

If you have to go through security - they will direct you. (no choices)

If you have to go through immigration - they will direct you. (no choices)

Same for customs.

The only mistakes I think people can make are:

1 - Following the signs to LEAVE the airport (vs looking for connection)

2 - Leaving important papers in checked bags or at home

Copies of tickets, passports, etc.

3 - Going to baggage claim when bags are checked through or vice versa.

Make sure you know WHERE you bag is tagged to.

Really, you get off the plane and follow signs. Trying to write down the instructions in advance in most cases only complicate things. Look at the countries we it below - we did not worry about where to go in any of those cities and we had not been to 90% of them before.

What airline is that?

Some airlines - LOT included - have Premium Economy, which gives you larger seats with more legroom (and usually more recline), plus often better food choices than regular economy.

...If you have to go through immigration - they will direct you. (no choices)....
I agree with almost everything you said, but sometimes they do direct you incorrectly, so it does help to have a clue.

I was connecting in Frankfurt to Ukraine and an airport employee was very insistently sending people (in English) to "Europe that way" (which was Schengen immigration), "non-Europe that way". Sorry buddy, I am headed for Europe, but not Schengen, so I want "in transit". If I had followed direction I'd have lost an hour waiting first to get a Schengen entry stamp and then waiting to get a Schengen exit stamp.:mad: No thank you.