Carnival Chooses the Room

Life_Traveler

My wife and I have always booked our cruises a Year out and have always chosen the room. We have started thinking about possibly trying to book a cruise 1 or 2 weeks out and letting Carnival chose the room for the added discount. I understand how this works so not concerned with how they chose the room.

My question is, what is everyone experience with this? Is it worth the added savings if more than 50% of the time you end up with something you don't like? It would only be a 4 to 5 day cruise which i can put up with about anything if need be.

As the previous poster stated, there is a certain amount of risk in allowing Carnival to choose your cabin location. And I don't know what the statistics say (wish I did), but we have gambled on this mode of booking four times out of about a dozen cruises and have ended up with acceptable to great rooms three of the four times. For example, our upcoming October cruise was booked this way. We were assigned a balcony cabin on Panorama deck, about half way between mid-ship and forward. There are cabins above us, so noise won't be an issue. There is no obstruction. It may not be the single best location, but it is more than acceptable. I'm pleased. The one bad cabin we got was all the way forward. The ceiling on the balcony was sloped steeply, making one end of the small balcony very tight and claustrophobic. But this didn't ruin our cruise for us. One bad (and to be honest, nowhere on a cruise ship is a terrible place to be) cabin out of four times aren't bad odds at all.

Edited by Towel Critter

The one time I did this I wound up with an interior in a good location on Carnival Victory. The was one BIG downside though, and it was that the cabin was above a venue where they were having karaoke. 2 lessons learned that trip: Pay more to choose your cabin, and don't try to sing loudly if you can't carry a tune.

The last minute deals aren't there to be had too often anymore. You're better off in most cases to book ahead of time and pick your own cabin. You'll find the best prices aren't typically last minute as in the past. Of course there could always be exceptions, but I am basing this off of what I have seen over the past year or so. I'm sure others will agree.

My wife and I have always booked our cruises a Year out and have always chosen the room. We have started thinking about possibly trying to book a cruise 1 or 2 weeks out and letting Carnival chose the room for the added discount. I understand how this works so not concerned with how they chose the room.

My question is, what is everyone experience with this? Is it worth the added savings if more than 50% of the time you end up with something you don't like? It would only be a 4 to 5 day cruise which i can put up with about anything if need be.

Where did you get the fact that more than 50% of the time you end up with a cabin you don't like?

I usually pick my cabin, but every once in a while I'll book a guarantee and, so far, I have been happy with my cabin assignments.

I've done it 3 times- always inside cabins. Twice I ended up just a couple cabins forward from the midship elevators on Main deck. The other time was a handicapped cabin (not needed) right near the midship elevators on Empress. All 3 were good experiences & worth the savings.

Where did you get the fact that more than 50% of the time you end up with a cabin you don't like?

I usually pick my cabin, but every once in a while I'll book a guarantee and, so far, I have been happy with my cabin assignments.

i was guessing thinking if 50% of the time you get a bad one. I have no idea the odds and that is why i posted this to see what others were getting . i always book at least 1 year in advance but was thinking of doing a couple last minute ones this winter along with my other 4 so just wondering if its worth it.

I have been on 11 Carnival cruises and I had Carnival pick my inside cabin on 3 of those cruises. The first one Carnival upgraded me to an obstructed view window handicap cabin. The next two I got assigned to regular inside cabin in good areas. I have had good results with my experience.:cool:

I have been on 11 Carnival cruises and I had Carnival pick my inside cabin on 3 of those cruises. The first one Carnival upgraded me to an obstructed view window handicap cabin. The next two I got assigned to regular inside cabin in good areas. I have had good results with my experience.:cool:

We have good had good luck with guarantees also. I was told one time that they try to put you in the location you normally book.. We just did a B2B on Triump and the second leg was guarantee and they put us several rooms down from the first room.