Alaska with smaller kids

karenna00

On DCL there are excursions specifically geared to young kids. If your kids can appreciate seeing a whale, a bear, petting a sled dog, or whatever, they will have a great time. Alaska is a place for all ages. The excursions there are quite costly though.

The nice thing is that DCL has programming to keep them occupied on sea days when they might otherwise be bored while you are enjoying scenery.

I went with an almost 2 year old and we had a great time. Because he was so small, we mostly explored on our own in port (though we did do the Liarville excursion in Skagway, which he loved). My son's favorite thing was the visitor center at Mendenhall Glacier. He loved looking at and touching the animal skins and bones that were on display. He also liked seeing wildlife including salmon, eagles and seals.

On the ship, having the Disney elements to keep my son happy was great. It allowed my husband and I an opportunity to relax and enjoy nature.

I agree that Alaska is for all ages.

I agree that the Mendenhall Glacier area is great. We saw a mother bear with cubs, TONS of salmon, etc. The visitor center was actually good too! You can do this on your own with a local bus, but the excursion buses get you a little closer to the visitor center--will save a bit of walking, but it puts you on their time schedule. If you take the local bus, you can leave when your family is ready rather than "You have one hour here."