Klang - is there anything locally

tring

We are due to dock in here on a Sunday next February and do not feel any real wish to head off into Kuala Lumpur. Has anyone found anything locally?

Also, will things be closed on Sundays, either in the city or near to the port?

I am thinking that the traffic may be a bit less of a problem on a Sunday if we do go into Kuala Lumpur, but I am not sure of that.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

We were in Port Klang last year. Since we have already visited KL, we decided not to make the same trip again. We went instead by taxicab to a nearby small shopping center in town which is nothing special really, except for a food court where you can try some of the local fares. AFAIK there is no sightseeing places around Port Klang.

Now that does look interesting, thank you for mentioning it and the great photos.

I have done a bit of searching on the net about it, and it does look a bit rustic. That does have great appeal as we like to see things as they are rather than designed just for tourists, but can I assume the toilet facilities will be very basic? I am in my late 60's and some days I could cope, but other days I get a bit stiff so would struggle.

The shopping centre could be a back up on a bad day.

Thank you both for the replies,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Tring : Yes You are absolutely right. It is quite " basic". One main street and no vehicular traffic, only pedestrian and bicycles. On weekends, there are one day visitors from KL. Other than that, there are not too many tourists. Since I had been to KL before and not keen on riding a coach bus in heavy traffic, I opted to go to Crab Island twice on 2 different cruises. Most other cruisers head out to KL.

The taxi ride to the ferry terminal ( close to the train station) is about 10 minutes. The ferry ride is about 30 minutes ( the direct line). There are toilet facilities in the Port Klang cruise terminal and all the restaurants on the small island. Most of the restaurants offer fresh seafood, crab of course. Prices are very reasonable.

I would caution that drink only bottled water, hot tea or beer. If you decides to eat in the small restaurants, do clean the utensils and bowls with hot water or sanitizer wipes first. Crab Island ( Palau Ketam) is still a very local place so the living condition is what you would expect in a small town of any developing country. That is only my personal opinion.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the place and have no hesitation of going again if the cruise itinerary stops at Port Klang.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sounds very much like our sort of place and brings back memories of a couple of enjoyable holidays in The Gambia.

My husband is away for the weekend, but I will see what he thinks when he gets back. I have just been looking at the reviews on TA and one person does mention feeling stressed on a Sunday because there were a lot of cyclists and other people. I am thinking it would have been better if we were due to dock mid week rather than a Sunday, but the advantage would be that everywhere is likely to be open.

Certainly worth thinking about and would be great to get away from cruise ship passengers for a day (even though we are on a small ship) because we will be on a 29 night cruise. It is good to find another poster with a sense of adventure,

Cheers,

Barbara

Edited by tring

If you decide to go, check out the ferry schedule for Sunday. I think there are more frequent rides but at the same time, there may be more visitors from the mainland. I allowed ample time to get back to the cruise terminal. On both occasions, I left early to Crab island and returned to the cruise ship in the early afternoon.

Taxi ride to the ferry terminal is fixed price, well marked at the taxi stand.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Last time I was here ( on Princess ) I caught the free ship's shuttle to AEON mall, and from there the local bus into Klang town.

Does anyone know if Princess still do the shuttles to AEON mall ?

PS: A few threads down I asked a question about the local ferries to Manukan Island just off from Kota Kinabalu. Just wondering if anyone has info on that also.

Thanks.

Go to Crab Island. Take a taxi to Port Klang, Take ferry to Crab Island, local houses built on stilts, try the seafood lunch. Relax and leisurely day. Plenty of time to get back to cruise terminal.

We just returned from cruise with NCL and when we got to Port Klang it was our plan to also visit crab island, but no taxis would take us there. They are controlled by the mafia and they were only willing to take you on a day long tour. We docked at a place further out, so it may be different for you. But, I would not plan on getting a cab, they would not budge at all. Good luck and have fun.