We Won The Free Cruise

torchd

Congrats on your winning a cruise. Have a great trip.

Years ago we went to play bingo on the last day. The progressive jackpot was almost 4K. While standing in line to get our card the guy in front of us kept saying that the cards were too expensive, not sure if he wanted to spend the money. This went on until he got to the place they were selling the cards. He finally decided to by the card.

Of course, he was the winner of the jackpot and he bought the same pack of cards we bought. If only he had talked himself out of getting the cards.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Dude I Instantly got The Sarcasm,... It's so hard to tell a joke anymore in such a P.C. culture,.......All humor is lost nowadays,..... All they gotta do is look at you're username,....Drumtech77,.... and anyone could see you're not seriously a snob. oh well No more humor allowed after 2016 I guess.

I'm always shocked when people don't get obvious sarcasm. LOL.

I think sarcasm is more difficult online because there's no body language or tone that can be inferred. Perhaps using a smiley would have helped. The subsequent post cleared it up, but the first did sound kind of harsh and, unfortunately, even if the poster was being funny, there are a lot of Cruise Critics that might actually say something like that.

Sounds like all is forgiven.

Free cruise.... wahoo. We play Bingo for that every time and never win. Of course, it makes us just go book our own cruise so they're getting what they want out of us.

:D

Tom

Um, you do realize that post was tongue-in-cheek?

And ... congrats on the free cruise!!

I think that the greatest invention would be a "Sarcasm Font." :p

Exactly! Or some kind of convention to denote sarcasm, the way all caps denotes yelling.

Maybe use of a color? Type in green if you're being sarcastic? :p

Although, how could you take 'cruise line welfare' seriously? LOL! After all, you PAY to play bingo in the first place!

My very first cruise I went on was on the adventure of the Seas and I also won the Free Cruise. I remember when they gave me my bingo card one of the poles was punched up and he tried to give me a different one and I said no no I want that one and that was the one that won

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Details details details.... So first OP - congrats.... However -- details..

1). Did/will you get taxed ? (What country are you from?)

2). Airfare?

3). Room type?

4). Grats covered?

5). Cruise fare taxes covered?

I'm super interested in what it ends up costing you... Best case if you get a nice big credit to do with as you choose and you can take the opportunity to pay the extra for a Sky Class or better cabin and enjoy the luxury living.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So for those asking, I did not have to claim my $162 bingo winnings. I believe if it was $600 or more, then yes I would need to claim the taxes using a 1099 int form.

There is no OBC given LOL.

1) Did I get taxed on what? The Bingo winnings? The cruise itself? I am from Illinois

2) Airfare is separate; we booked our flights today!

3) Inside or exterior rooms are included, if you want a balcony its an upgraded charge.

4) Gratuities are not covered. Still 13.50 per person per day.

5) Must pay cruise port and taxes as you would with a normal booking.

All in all the CRUISE only cost for 2 people was $300 (room, gratuities and taxes) and the FLIGHT round trip is $615 for 2 people. So just under $1,000 for 2 people for 7 days.

Won a cheap, mesh ball cap once on the Royal version of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. Answered an easy question related to centuries wrong TWICE! The question was something like "In what century did the war of 1812 happen". If I recall correctly, I completely blanked and said 18th century. When told to try again, I then remembered that the 1900s were the 20th century, so I confidently said that 1812 was the 17th century. :o They were bound and determined to give me that hat!

Congrats to the OP. Hope you have a great cruise.

The war of 1812...... wasn't that the one designed to make the USA great again (part of Great Britain that is). Apparently the Donald is going to do it without firing a shot. Good luck.

I think that the greatest invention would be a "Sarcasm Font." :p
Actually the emoji :rolleyes: under "smiles" just to the right as you type a CC Reply is identified when you hover over it as "Sarcastic". (But I personally would be hard-pressed to read Post #5 as anything other than sarcastic.)
So for those asking, I did not have to claim my $162 bingo winnings. I believe if it was $600 or more, then yes I would need to claim the taxes using a 1099 int form...
Technically you are supposed to claim all net winnings (winnings minus loses) as taxable income, even though they are below the limit to trigger a W-2G (often reported [incorrectly] on a 1099-Misc). If you actually did, you might be the only person in the country to claim this, and might trigger an IRS audit:rolleyes: since they would figure you must be hiding something and threw this in to distract them.

Did you get a W-2G or 1099 for the value of the cruise you won? I'd think that value would be over the limit to trigger a W-2G.

Enjoy the cruise that you won!:)

Thom

• 1 month later...

I just got off the Liberty of the Seas and I also won the free cruise for two at bingo on the last sea day. I just mailed in their certificate hoping to take another cruise next January. We'll see if I get what I asked for. We also plan to upgrade. I guess it depends on how much credit they offer and how much I have to pay out of pocket. None the less, it was pretty exciting to win something!

• 4 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We love playing the win a cruise Bingo but have never won. We have always been curious how it really works! WOW--- 7 days on any cruise ship! I assumed it had to be the same ship... Inside cabin or not still awesome! $300 when it is all said and done...fantastic!!

So for those asking, I did not have to claim my $162 bingo winnings. I believe if it was $600 or more, then yes I would need to claim the taxes using a 1099 int form.

There is no OBC given LOL.

1) Did I get taxed on what? The Bingo winnings? The cruise itself? I am from Illinois

2) Airfare is separate; we booked our flights today!

3) Inside or exterior rooms are included, if you want a balcony its an upgraded charge.

4) Gratuities are not covered. Still 13.50 per person per day.

5) Must pay cruise port and taxes as you would with a normal booking.

All in all the CRUISE only cost for 2 people was $300 (room, gratuities and taxes) and the FLIGHT round trip is $615 for 2 people. So just under $1,000 for 2 people for 7 days.

Nobody believes you on this forum. Nobody. If you really want to show them you should take someone from the forum, like say, Me, and I can verify that you are not BSing us on here. Think about it.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We love playing the win a cruise Bingo but have never won. We have always been curious how it really works! WOW--- 7 days on any cruise ship! I assumed it had to be the same ship... Inside cabin or not still awesome! $300 when it is all said and done...fantastic!!

truly awesome. Congratulations