New to cruising - free at sea query

R4zb3rry

Hi all,

Have just booked my 1st cruise for the Escape in December this year and got a good price for a BX grade balcony.

However I have now read a little about the free at sea promo and have started wondering if I contact my TA to upgrade to a non guarantee balcony would I be eligible for the free at sea as this would represent a better value package I think as I would select the UBP.

Has anyone done this and would contacting the TA or NCL direct be the best route?

Thanks all in advance.

Remember that if you select the UBP you will pay the 18% service charge that you would have to pay if you were purchasing the package. The "free" part is the cost of the package. The current 18% charge is $14.22/day based on UBP cost of $79/day. So NCL "covers" the $79 and you pay the $14.22. :)

Remember that if you select the UBP you will pay the 18% service charge that you would have to pay if you were purchasing the package. The "free" part is the cost of the package. The current 18% charge is $14.22/day based on UBP cost of $79/day. So NCL "covers" the $79 and you pay the $14.22. :)

The total gratuities on the beverage package is around $99 per person.

The gratuities on the dining package is around $12 per person.

Hi all,

Have just booked my 1st cruise for the Escape in December this year and got a good price for a BX grade balcony.

However I have now read a little about the free at sea promo and have started wondering if I contact my TA to upgrade to a non guarantee balcony would I be eligible for the free at sea as this would represent a better value package I think as I would select the UBP.

Has anyone done this and would contacting the TA or NCL direct be the best route?

Thanks all in advance.

Have a great time on the Escape! Less than a year old and a wonderful ship for your first cruise.

Hi all thanks for the great info.

Yes I am booked through the UK so I guess there is no free at sea promo available then, that's a real shame was hoping to put the $1100 cost to a room upgrade rather than just the UBP.

Was it available for UK at some point for bookings made earlier in the year?

Hi all thanks for the great info.

Yes I am booked through the UK so I guess there is no free at sea promo available then, that's a real shame was hoping to put the $1100 cost to a room upgrade rather than just the UBP.

I would certainly check this out with your travel agent. Our Xmas 2016 and Xmas 2017 cruises are booked in the UK and we have the free drinks package on both, also if you book direct with NCL in U.K or via a UK travel agent you will not pay any additional charge for gratuities.

Yes, it has been possible to book these cruises in the past and get the promo options.

The restriction isn't in order to exclude specific cruises. It's more to do with just not being able to use the promo for cruises booked so late (and possibly at discounted fares).

The specific terms vary from time to time.

Well, called up and no joy unfortunately.

Combination of no cabins left eligible for the offer and I have paid in full meaning cancelling and rebooking costs.

NCL stated that the free at sea can only be applied at the time of original booking also.

At least I know for next booking if we decide to cruise again.

Yes, I believe it would have been available if you had booked in August for a December cruise. The current version of the promo started on September 1, and they made all cruises through the end of this yer ineligible for perks.

For the next time, keep in mind that you also have the option of booking through NCL US if you prefer. NCL seems to be trying to make this harder to do through their website (because of location-based redirection), but many US-based travel agents will be more than happy to take your business.

For the next time, keep in mind that you also have the option of booking through NCL US if you prefer. NCL seems to be trying to make this harder to do through their website (because of location-based redirection), but many US-based travel agents will be more than happy to take your business.

Or through the .eu site or a TA on the continent.

Both our NCL and HAL cruises we took this year were considerably cheaper booking through a German TA than they were in the US or UK.

Bear in mind that the pricing for NCL in Germany is different and includes the daily service charge, equivalent of UBP package (inc. taxes), speciality coffees in the restaurants and a bottle of water per person/per day in the stateroom. This means it can still work out cheaper particularly as these benefits are all included even if you book last minute and/or a guarantee cabin.

wow all great info thanks.

How does booking through an EU TA affect ATOL, do they have an equivalent?

In the end I booked the UBP for both of us as I figure I would rather relax and not be worrying about how much we spent on drinks when we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves on holiday. £503 each through the NCL website, might the weak pound but, I can't help but think that must include the 18% gratuities being so high compared to the dollar rate??

Due to the weak pound it doesn't make sense for the UK to book through the US.
It depends on the exact fares being offered, and currency considerations become insignificant when compared to the cost of paying for the UBP out of pocket as in the OP's case.
£503 each through the NCL website, might the weak pound but, I can't help but think that must include the 18% gratuities being so high compared to the dollar rate??
If that is the amount they charged you, then it includes all gratuities. They do not charge the gratuities separately when you purchase the package, it's all one charge.