Wondering what happens with Port Canaveral being Closed

MLW070

I live (and was raised) in the Panhandle of Florida. I've been through enough hurricanes to know that if they tell you to evacuate, then do so. I keep reading where people intend to ride it out. I keep reading how people (cruisers) are disappointed in what Carnival is offering for those affected by Matthew.

I just dont get it.

Sure, I'd be disappointed if my cruise was cancelled or we didnt get to a port due to a storm. But I have enough empathy for people on these islands who will have it far worse than I if they get hit with a hurricane. And then we wonder why a lot of these islanders have a disdain for cruise ships coming into port; whether cruisers contribute to their economy or not.

Stay safe!!

I can't speak for others, but we are not under a mandatory evacuation. I assure you, if we were, we would have left, or if we had any inkling it was going to be this bad. Also, keep in mind this storm was not forecast to be a Cat 4 again, or come this close to us. 3 days ago, we thought we'd be fine. 2 days ago, we discussed possibly putting up the shutters. Yesterday, we did and still thought it wasn't going to be so bad. Today, we are praying. A lot changed last night regarding the storm. We are safer staying put at this point.

And we've also been through hurricanes, including the 2004-2005 season.

At this point I think shortened cruise leaving Sunday would be best and I would be okay with that. Trying to make arrangements to drive from Atlanta to Port Canaveral to be there Saturday sounds like its going to be more difficult.

I doubt it. I live just south and there are problems at PC already. Too many private boats are not removed or even secured.They will end up breaking loose and or sinking clogging the channel. We also are expecting a storm surge of 11 feet which will put the port underwater. They say it will cross over to the main land. Next, all water is being shut off the the barrier islands but I cant confirm its PC is one of them.

Huge percentages of the people who live on those islands are involved in the tourism industry. They are not wealthy and will not be able to make repairs and buy food and water without an infusion of cash from their tourists.

Yes, I have a huge amount of empathy but I also understand that folks who are not wealthy NEED $$$. No, the ships shouldn't go until the population of the island says "come on" ... but once they do lots and lots of American cash will happily be infused into the economies and personal pockets of those who need it. We've never felt disdain from islanders but we always treat them with respect and friendliness and get the same in return.

I'm referring to the comments I've read from those that are more concerned about missing out on a port due to the weather, than they are about those affected by it. Or Carnival not doing more in terms of a larger OBC or refunding the majority of the cruise that was lost/will be lost due to Matthew.

For anyone who has a cruise out of Port Canaveral (Or Florida for that Matter) here are my experiences in 20+ years of surfing on the FL coast -

1. Bridges will close until the wind goes down below 40mph.

2. There will be no power for at least 24 hours.

3. There will be no gas. Most stations should have generators but it will be at least 24-48 hours before fuel can be brought in

4. Think of the lines of traffic coming back into the state and the coast. This will be all day Saturday and into Sunday.

5. Locals who work the port will not have power or food or gas so the port will be limited in resources to service the ships

6. Companies who restock ships might be able to get supplies in by Sunday if indeed they have a plan to do so. These companies will also have challenges in fuel and supply line closures.

7. Most restaurants and hotels along the coast will be closed until power is restored. If undamaged (unlikely) and they can open they will be sold out as locals who lost houses and living spaces will need a place to stay.

8. Powerlines will be down in the streets for up to 48 hours.

9. Trees will be down in the streets for up to 48 hours after the storm.

10. There will most likely be road blocks going into the coast only letting locals in once the roads and bridges do open back up.

It sucks to cancel a cruise but it would be the smart thing to do at this point. When winds are at a constant 100mph (not gusting) there will be some pretty serious damage. If the path of this storm shifts away from the coast it will be a blessing to all who live there. The last hing you need to be doing right now is racing to get to the port to try and jump on a ship.

Its pretty sad that no cruise line has yet offered a refund to Sunday Cruises leaving Port Canaveral. Even if they can open and operate its not nice to have 15,000 people have to figure out how to get their amidst the atrocity.

-Sean

Great post and an excellent summation of the problem. You would think that Carnival would cancel Saturday cruises and move on already.

Agreed. I thought they had options to cancel the Saturday Departures but I just double checked and I guess they have not...

No refund for me, just wasting my time waiting in a hotel for something that will never happen. No respect for their customers, I can't even make plans till they decide it's hopeless.

Carnival Valor – 10/8/16 departure

Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of the storm all throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and assuming the port reopens on Saturday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening.

We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide an update after 6:00 PM tomorrow.

Edited by Graptor

No refund for me, just wasting my time waiting in a hotel for something that will never happen. No respect for their customers, I can't even make plans till they decide it's hopeless.

Carnival Valor – 10/8/16 departure

Based on the current forecast of Hurricane Matthew, the Brevard County area, including Port Canaveral, will suffer the strongest effects of the storm all throughout the day on Friday. Port Canaveral is presently closed to all marine traffic and we expect it to remain closed until the storm has passed. Once conditions become safe, port officials will begin their assessment and make a determination of when the port is safe to reopen. This could take some time and assuming the port reopens on Saturday, embarkation would take place late afternoon/early evening.

We will stay in close contact with port officials and will provide an update after 6:00 PM tomorrow.

If you are in Miami you should be perfectly fine for a 10/8 departure. The storm is already well north of Miami. I'd be suprised if the port didn't open back up by noon tomorrow. Seeing that you are in Miami already it should be a great trip. Usually the weather is fantastic after a hurricane passes. I feel bad for the people who cannot fly into Miami or have to drive through Orlando to get there. That will be a nightmare.

Ooops - Sorry - Just realized its Port Canaveral you are sailing out of. Sorry. That does suck.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

Power will be out for more than 48 hrs. Trust me. If gas is even available, it will most likely be rationed. The aftermath of a major hurricane is miserable for everybody. I just hope that everybody has water service. I can deal with no power, but no water is the most miserable thing.

Well said! And remember, YOU chose to book during hurricane season.

Of course hurricane season is June to November (6 months) and people traveling in December, January, February and March will have to negotiate winter weather to travel.

It also doesn't take into account the hurricanes this year in January and May.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Melbourne has gotten a couple of the outer bands, not too bad yet. Wind is picking up for sure...still not too bad yet, but this is when things will start to decline rapidly. I think we're in for a rough night.

Glad to hear that you are still online & have electricity - from watching the Orlando news update ... predictions are that conditions going downhill from here on with the eye of the storm making landfall in about 5 or 6 hours, somewhere near your, perhaps to the north closer to Coca Beach/Port Canaveral ... or, further up toward Daytona Beach, calling this a monster storm, Cat-4 now with sustained wind of 130 mph at its peak.

Best of luck and make sure you are shelter in the safest and most secure part of your house, with all your essentials and gears, etc. for the post-hurricane cleanup.

Should they managed to keep the TV & news stations online, the next best thing might be twitter feeds, as they are easier to broadcast ... Just read a tweet from Freeport, Bahamas - the worst direct hit with 140 mph wind in its history with lost of power and communications, pray for 50,000 souls there - heading for the U.S.

Your area is taking a direct hit, hard - just unclear now how hard and how bad it will be. Stay safe and let us know if and when you can, we are pulling for you and everyone else caught in this massive storm.

Glad to hear that you are still online & have electricity - from watching the Orlando news update ... predictions are that conditions going downhill from here on with the eye of the storm making landfall in about 5 or 6 hours, somewhere near your, perhaps to the north closer to Coca Beach/Port Canaveral ... or, further up toward Daytona Beach, calling this a monster storm, Cat-4 now with sustained wind of 130 mph at its peak.

Best of luck and make sure you are shelter in the safest and most secure part of your house, with all your essentials and gears, etc. for the post-hurricane cleanup.

Should they managed to keep the TV & news stations online, the next best thing might be twitter feeds, as they are easier to broadcast ... Just read a tweet from Freeport, Bahamas - the worst direct hit with 140 mph wind in its history with lost of power and communications, pray for 50,000 souls there - heading for the U.S.

Your area is taking a direct hit, hard - just unclear now how hard and how bad it will be. Stay safe and let us know if and when you can, we are pulling for you and everyone else caught in this massive storm.

Thank you so very much!:)

It is starting to go downhill, wind probably sustained weak tropical storm force, with higher gusts. I thought I was hearing thunder a few minutes ago, but it's the wind.

Edited by put me on a ship

The latest update shows the storm passing us off shore, maybe making landfall to the north, perhaps around Cape Canaveral.

Winds keep picking up, of course, but I would say still tropical storm force for now.

This will probably be my last update tonight....I'm going to try to sleep, at least for a bit. And I fully expect we will not have power when I wake up.

Thank you all for the well wishes! Over and out.

The latest update shows the storm passing us off shore, maybe making landfall to the north, perhaps around Cape Canaveral.

Winds keep picking up, of course, but I would say still tropical storm force for now.

This will probably be my last update tonight....I'm going to try to sleep, at least for a bit. And I fully expect we will not have power when I wake up.

Thank you all for the well wishes! Over and out.

i've actually been thinking of you, because yesterday you said (and i read) you were in melbourne (and news has been saying it was headed DIRECTLY at melbourne). so my thoughts are with you.

i was just listening to someone from NASA kennedy space center and he said it looked like the storm 'wobbled' and may be 20 miles from them.

best of luck and best wishes.

Edited by falkcor

Live in Port Orange... off of Nova Rd. (close to the ocean and I-95) still have electric ... neighbors across the street don't.

When we do lose it we will turn on the generator.

Yes we aren't the smartest ones... live in a newer manufacture home..

Very very windy and bands of rain...

Just had to let the fur babies out.. one did go out "Brady" (named after tom{)

Tyson.. he is the scary cat.. lol

Been up most of the night and looking out the window.. most of my neighbors are elderly and most did leave..

Will keep everyone updated..

Live in Port Orange... off of Nova Rd. (close to the ocean and I-95) still have electric ... neighbors across the street don't.

When we do lose it we will turn on the generator.

Yes we aren't the smartest ones... live in a newer manufacture home..

Very very windy and bands of rain...

Just had to let the fur babies out.. one did go out "Brady" (named after tom{)

Tyson.. he is the scary cat.. lol

Been up most of the night and looking out the window.. most of my neighbors are elderly and most did leave..

Will keep everyone updated..

Bet you guys will take a well deserved nice long nap when this storm passes .;)

Oh heck yes..

We just lost power, but I bought an awesome generator on the deal of the day special... well it works great. Propane & gas...

however I did unplug all unneeded appliances.

everyone out there stay safe..

Bet you guys will take a well deserved nice long nap when this storm passes .;)