different question on illnesses

My son just come home from the family doc. It seems he has a virus, or whatever, he is contagious (just what I need!!). Anyhow, he has been put on antibiotics.

What I am wondering is, if I would happen to catch this bug, and be put on antibiotics, and be over the worst of it by the time I cruise (Nov 12th on Enchantment), will I be allowed to board? :confused:

I WILL NOT COME SICK!! :eek:

I hate people who go to places sick and infect others, such as my son. A fellow student came to class, carrying a temp, says she never misses due to illness. Well, my son and I have low white blood cell count, we get sick at the drop of a hat. And it won't be some little cough, but a drastic event.

So, now he is sick, I won't do that to anyone else, if worst comes to worst, I will miss.

However, I know that if I catch it, my family doc will give me some meds to help me get well soon.

If I still sound funny, can I bring a doctor's statement saying I am well, and not contageous (my family doc is a stickler also, he won't give a clean bill of health unless he believe I am safe) and then be allowed to board?

I am hoping/trusting/believing that nothing happens, I just like to cover all bases.

I figured if anything was to happen, I would fall or slip and pull my back out, not some stupid bug. :(

Jly

You will be allowed to board, especially if you are over the worst of it. We had a similiar scenario with my daughter last year and she was fine and no longer contagious. Have you tried Airborne? It works great, I use it now when we travel and if I feel like I am coming down with something. My daughters Teacher reccommended it to me. You can get it at Walmart.

A combination of Airborne and Zicam along with some sheer STUBBORNNESS does the trick for me almost every time!! You are NOT going to get sick! Now go look at yourself in the mirror and say it out loud! :p

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

If your son has a virus, why is he on antibiotics? Antibiotics combat bacterial infections, not viral ones.

This is very true...antibiotics do absolutely nothing for a viral infection. And to top it off, being taken when not needed can cause bacterial resistance to the antibiotic, thus making a future bacterial infection harder to fight, and even stronger!

Ok first of all an antibiotic for a virus is like peeing on a housefire, won't do any good. Viruses do not respond to them.

Now that I have that out of the way you will be allowed to board but make sure by taking something for coughing and sneezing, some lines will give you a hard time. One poster on the boards recently told her account of being denied boarding because her daughter was anxious and threw up. Ships do not want Noro Virus and will deny you boarding if you toss your cookies in front of any crew member or confine you to your cabin.

Perhaps you misunderstood the doctor and your son does indeed have a contagious bacterial infection. If you do contract the illness you should immediately be put on antibiotics. Typically once you have been on antibiotics for more than 24 hours you would be feeling much better and no longer contagious.

Good luck. Take your vitamins, airborne, wash you hands compulsively and try to avoid getting too close to your son's face for now, although I know it's hard not to kiss those sick little cheeks!

If your son does have a virus, I'd seriously question why your doctor put him on antibiotics. It's been documented heavily in the medical community for years and years that this practice is both ineffective and harmful.

I know that there is differences, but I guess I am with the ole country way of saying virus no matter what it is. Basically, sick is sick, but I know that the cause is technically different, virus is not the same as bacterial infection. What he has is a bacterial infection.

My son, the future doctor (he is in college) just shakes his head at me and goes on. :rolleyes:

The family doc is GREAT, and he will not pass out antibiotics unless they are needed, I have taken the kids in before when they were little, and he has said, nope, no drugs, let it runs its course. Did a paper once in college about the misuse of antibiotics, of how it is in fact harmful, so the use of them for us is a MUST need only case.

So, since he gave Josh antibiotics, I know that he needed them. He put him on zithromax.

My hubby had to see him today. He asked him about my going on the cruise, he said to wash my hands OFTEN (which I do anyhow), and if I felt bad within the next 48 hours, to contact him and he will work me in, but he was sure I would be fine. He won't allow me to cruise if I am sick, he is very committed to getting people well, not making anyone sick. I'll follow the doctors orders.

I saw the airborne stuff at Wallyworld yesterday, almost bought it, think I will check into it.

And no matter what age they are, when your kid is sick, and looks at you with their eyes saying, "I don't feel good, mom" look, you just want to treat him like he is 5 again. Homemake chicken noodle soup, puddings, and all the sprite he wants. LOL. :D

Jly

forgot to add, thanks for the help, all.

Zithromax is great. It works on alot of stuff the others don't. I took it about a year ago for my pneumonia (I get pneumonia easily. Which stinks cause it happens when I am training in the fall a lot).

If this thing is airborne and you had a chance of getting it you probably would be feeling it by now. How do you feel?

I have not heard of denied boarding before for sneezing/coughing/puking...How can they know you dont have an allergy or other non contagious reason??

Do you get a refund if they wont let you board? :confused:

I have not heard about it in the case of sneezing and coughing but if you do a search on "denied boarding" it should pop. It is a pretty recent post. Yes they will return your money but no other compenastion was offered the OP.

There is a product out called "Emergen-C". A powder you mix into a glass of water (it's fizzy) that boosts your immune system. Won't do much good if you are already sick but hubby and start taking it about a week before we travel and continue to take if a few days after we're home. We've been fortunate to never get the usual travel "sickness" from flying and cruising.

It's available at many health food stores and at Walmart. About $10 for 36 packets. Well worth the cost. (I recommend the raspberry)

As to how I feel, so far so good, the usual allergy sniffles, but none of the signs my son had. I feel so sorry for him, poor kid (he is 21, but still a kid to me), he is coughing, sneezing, throat hurts, looks like death warmed over, but a lot better than he did two days ago. I have to run to Wallyworld tomorrow, so I will look for some of the stuff. Have a couple of other last minute items to get.

I remember reading a post, when I first came to the board, about a family with a little girl, they had flown in then rushed to the cruiseport. The little girl was all excited, it was real hot and she became overheated and threw-up. They refused to allow the family to board. It was devestating for the whole family.:(

A good reason to fly in a day before, especially if you have kids, gives them a chance to rest up and be able to handle the excitement of the day.

Jly

Hope your son gets better soon and you don't catch it! ;)

Nliedel - Have you had the 5 year pneumonia injection? it is great! I use to get pneumonia about once a year at Christmas. My doctor asked me about getting the injection when I was in his office for a flu shot. KNOCK ON WOOD, but I haven't had it since. I think it has been 4-5 years, so I better check about getting it again.

If your son has a virus, why is he on antibiotics? Antibiotics combat bacterial infections, not viral ones.

When my children get sick, because of their asthma, a virus can turn into a bacterial infection really quick! They almost always have to be put on antibiotics.

Nope I have not had the pneumonia shot. My understanding is that it is for people who get a certain kind of reacurring pneumonia which is usually related to asthema but not always. It is not reallye ffective for morons like me who get it because they overtrain all summer long and then race in damp conditions. Apparently the cure for that is not to train so darn hard and know when your body is telling you to take it easy, something I am bad at.

My doctor feels that if I cut back on my running in August I will not get it. I am going to try that next year. There is something in the air here in August that makes me susceptable.

When we boarded the Caribbean Princess this past September, all passengers had to sign a statement saying that they were not sick, and didn't show symptoms of any contagious illness. This had to be presented at boarding. I don't know if RCI has a similar policy.

Do we sign such a thing when we board a train, plane or subway where people actually breathe the same air for hours? The only thing to take care of is the serious ones like SARS and bird flu. With these cases, the gov will isolate the patients from the whole world before they pass it to others.

There is a product out called "Emergen-C". A powder you mix into a glass of water (it's fizzy) that boosts your immune system. Won't do much good if you are already sick but hubby and start taking it about a week before we travel and continue to take if a few days after we're home. We've been fortunate to never get the usual travel "sickness" from flying and cruising.

It's available at many health food stores and at Walmart. About $10 for 36 packets. Well worth the cost. (I recommend the raspberry)

I purchased this, your suppose to take it 3x a day. I read my one a day label & it seems to have all the same ingrediants with taking just one pill. Does anybody know much about Airborne? I was getting a sore throat & took this & I felt better, this you also have to take 3x a day.Have not read the label but am betting it is the same as Emergen-C. For the people who swear by Airborne how much & how often are you taking this?

Zithromax is great. It works on alot of stuff the others don't. I took it about a year ago for my pneumonia (I get pneumonia easily. Which stinks cause it happens when I am training in the fall a lot).

If this thing is airborne and you had a chance of getting it you probably would be feeling it by now. How do you feel?

Agree about Zithromax (especially the Z-pak short course). It's just about the only one that helps my DH when he gets bacterial upper-resp infections. He's got asthma and used to have to take at least 3 courses of other ABs. One year he was sick for 2 months.

A couple of years ago the doctor tried him on Z-pak and he was better in 2 weeks; the doctor goes straight to that now and skips the traditional ones--but ONLY if it is bacterial. As noted, not only do they do nothing against viruses, but that type of use leads to "super bugs" that resist ABs.

I used Airborne last year and it seemed to help, but I didn't like the taste. I prefer Sucrets Soothers, which have basically the same ingredients as Airborne, but are lozenges. They help my throat and seem to (I have no actual evidence) make my symptoms milder or cold duration a bit shorter.

Hope you are all well.

beachchick

We went on a 14 day Scandinavian cruise last may and a gentleman on a tour was coughing all over the place. I went right to the cabin after and took an airborne. I repeated it once later. I am sold on it. I take it before boarding the airplane and during the flight at least once. Then if I encounter someone coughing or sneezing I take again. I haven't had a cold or been sick for a very long time. My husband is not the believer that I am and he got a very bad cold when we got home and I still didn't get it. Janice

I went to get a pedicure today and the lady told me that her daughter was sick with a viral infection. Sort of creeped me out--as I am leaving in a few days and don't want to get sick. I guess I will go downstairs and take an Emergen_C to make sure I don't!!!

Archived