hELICOPTER OVER VOLCANO IN ANTIGUA

Roaming Rover

Has anyone done this trip ? if so how does it work ?Are you taken to an airport for the day and have to watch everyones flight ?Do you know how many are on the flight at the same time. My husband is not bothered about the trip but i would like to go but if you have to spend all day at an airport it puts me of.Plus dont want to pay £190 each if he is not bothered about it .:):):):)

Hi, I did this trip a few years ago from Oriana. We were taken to a small heliport not far from the ship. Four passengers are allowed on board the helicopter, three in the rear and one in the front. The flight is for about 30 mins I think and it takes you over the airport which is completely covered in lava, you can see houses where the lava poured in and it is weird how things were abandoned. I thoroughly enjoyed it and 'm sure you will too. :) BTW we were only away from the ship for about 21/2 hours in total.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

Hi, I did this trip a few years ago from Oriana. We were taken to a small heliport not far from the ship. Four passengers are allowed on board the helicopter, three in the rear and one in the front. The flight is for about 30 mins I think and it takes you over the airport which is completely covered in lava, you can see houses where the lava poured in and it is weird how things were abandoned. I thoroughly enjoyed it and 'm sure you will too. :) BTW we were only away from the ship for about 21/2 hours in total.

hi thanks for that where you alloted a certain time to go then others where given times like in rotas

I've also done this but on a slightly larger helicopter than PrincessTB. The one I was on took 6 passengers, 1 in front and 5 in the back with one sitting in the middle, so no window seat. My trip flew quite a way up the volcano, over the airport and the town. In total about 50 minutes. You are allocated a time slot on the ship and the whole time is as PTB says, around 2½ hours. They want to give you some free time to buy the t-shirt, etc. They were quite strict about the passenger weight limit with each passenger being weighed. Not sure what would happen if over the weight limit, but on an American line who advertised the trip, they implied you would need 2 tickets.

The excursion tends to be popular and seems to sell out before the cruise departs, so would suggest you pre-book it if you really want to go. I enjoyed the trip and had some good photos, but there again, I was the lucky one who sat next to the pilot. Don't know if it still the same, but the helicopter used is an emergency one, so if it is needed, the flight may be cancelled.

Helicopter tours are typically low numbers of participants due to feasibilty. There is a weight limit per person usually which P&O customers are typically below and the pilot decides who sits in the front and where everybody else sits to balance the aircraft for safe flying. As cruiser 1955 seems to suggest regarding Americans, some of them when flying are regarded as "A person of Size" and they would need to buy a second ticket when flying on any airline implementing that type of rule. I should be a bit miffed if I had to buy two tickets and the seats were at different ends of the plane.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I did this some 3/4 years ago and loved it as has been said you are given a time mine was 10.30 and was back on board by 1 pm and just the the 6 were taken.

Price has been reduced it was £200 when I did it :(

I did this some 3/4 years ago and loved it as has been said you are given a time mine was 10.30 and was back on board by 1 pm and just the the 6 were taken.

Price has been reduced it was £200 when I did it :(

Helicopter over Montserrat is £250 each on our trip, so a lot more than 200. I can't justify/afford that! So I don't think it's been reduced, well not in our cruise :(. A helicopter over Antigua is £190

Edited by Goosebear Mum