Vegetarian: Chef's Dinner or Balcony Dining?

sciteach11

I have been on one Princess cruise, and the food was fantastic. The main dining room was excellent at offering me vegetarian options, even letting me see the menus ahead of time so they could make sure to have something I could eat. The buffet also had great options.

That said, I have no concerns about having a lack of food available to me on our next cruise this February. However, I have heard people on here talking about the Chef's Dinner and the Ultimate Balcony Dining (and maybe something else called a Wine Dinner?) and they all sound like something fun to try. Does anyone know if they offer vegetarian options at these specialty meals? It would be really fun to do with my husband (who eats meat), but it seems crazy to pay extra if I'm not going to get food, especially when there are already other good options for me on the ship.

Thanks!

Balcony meal modification should be possible.

Chef table not really. Did it last month on the Star, and had to acknowledge that there were no dietary restrictions, allergies, or preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm a vegetarian and we booked the Chef's Dinner. When the Maitre d' saw that he spoke with me and said he would advise against me booking it since it would be a waste of money for me. I took his advice:)

Got it! Thanks for the quick reply :)

I've done a vegetarian balcony dinner with no problems - I just let them know that I wanted one vegetarian meal when I booked it.

Great to know this is an option, thanks! We decided to go with an oceanview this time around, but next time we splurge for a balcony I'll have to keep it in mind!

Do you remember what they prepared for you?

I want to say that I was asked what I wanted when I ordered. I couldn't come up with anything off the top of my head, so I just said something with lots of veggies.

I ended up getting a veggie pie of sorts with a red sauce on the side. It was really tasty, but I was so full by that point (and save room for desert), so I only ate about half of it.

(I tried to insert a pic, but it keeps failing to upload :()

I want to say that I was asked what I wanted when I ordered. I couldn't come up with anything off the top of my head, so I just said something with lots of veggies.

I ended up getting a veggie pie of sorts with a red sauce on the side. It was really tasty, but I was so full by that point (and save room for desert), so I only ate about half of it.

(I tried to insert a pic, but it keeps failing to upload :()

If trying to upload as an attachment, it must be less than 2MB in size.

Accommodating vegetarians with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner should be easy because they are just preparing food for the two of you and changes can be easily made. Fixed menu meals like the Winemaker's dinner on the Royal and Regal or the Chef's Table is more problematic. We have done two Chef's Tables. Our first was in 2009 and they accommodated one vegetarian. There were vegetarian options for the appetizers in the Galley, her risotto didn't have seafood and there was a vegetarian entree. On our second in 2012 there was no accommodating for vegetarians. I'm thinking it might have become too difficult and that option was eliminated. We have not had a Winemaker's Dinner but with a fixed menu food and wine pairing they might not be accommodating to vegetarians.

Sent from my iPad using Forums