How does self-disembark work?

puzzums

I've only done a couple of cruises and we've always done the leave-your-luggage-outside-the-room thing on the last night, to have it collected. So if we self-disembark, what is the process for getting customs done while still on board (we're Canadian travelers, port is Ft Lauderdale) - can we just leave our luggage in our cabin and retrieve it after we're done with customs? And what about getting off the ship? I'm used to being assigned a disembarkation time slot and you follow everyone else in your group off the ship.

With the number of posts increasing in regards to luggage theft, I'm getting more and more inclined to self disembark and haul my luggage off myself!

Our flight home is at 1:10 pm so there isn't a big panic to be first off.

... if we self-disembark, what is the process for getting customs done while still on board (we're Canadian travelers, port is Ft Lauderdale) - can we just leave our luggage in our cabin and retrieve it after we're done with customs?...
I am a US citizen, so maybe I have this wrong, but every cruise I've been to at Port Everglades, every nationality just gets off the ship, collects luggage if necessary (or not), and proceeds to a combined immigration and customs inspection. At this point there are lines for US citizens (and I think permanent residents [green card holders]) and a separate line for other nationalities. If that's wrong, I'm sure to be corrected soon (and will be happy to then know better).

Thom

I just did this last month and it was the easiest thing in the world. I kept my bags and waited in the centrum until we were cleared to disembark. Mind you, it was a European sailing but once we were cleared, I was in a taxi within 10 minutes.

I am a US citizen, so maybe I have this wrong, but every cruise I've been to at Port Everglades, every nationality just gets off the ship, collects luggage if necessary (or not), and proceeds to a combined immigration and customs inspection. At this point there are lines for US citizens (and I think permanent residents [green card holders]) and a separate line for other nationalities. If that's wrong, I'm sure to be corrected soon (and will be happy to then know better).

It depends on the port and the terminal. Just last week, I disembarked at Miami and there was no separation between US citizens and others. Everyone stayed in one queue. I joined the queue just before 07:30 and didn't make it through until after 08:30.

Can you still do self embarkation if you don't want to leave until 8ish?

There is a time period they like you to stick to for self-assist. It varies by ship and will be published in the "As You Depart" flyer you get the day before you leave the ship.

I've only done a couple of cruises and we've always done the leave-your-luggage-outside-the-room thing on the last night, to have it collected. So if we self-disembark, what is the process for getting customs done while still on board (we're Canadian travelers, port is Ft Lauderdale) - can we just leave our luggage in our cabin and retrieve it after we're done with customs? And what about getting off the ship? I'm used to being assigned a disembarkation time slot and you follow everyone else in your group off the ship.

With the number of posts increasing in regards to luggage theft, I'm getting more and more inclined to self disembark and haul my luggage off myself!

Our flight home is at 1:10 pm so there isn't a big panic to be first off.

You

'You must take your luggage and then go thru customs.

There is a time period they like you to stick to for self-assist. It varies by ship and will be published in the "As You Depart" flyer you get the day before you leave the ship.

We now always to self disembark,

so far only in UK or Europe, will find out in Miami soon.

The documentation does say its from when the doors open, but we always wait until we are ready, just take your bags and wait in a lounge until you are ready to leave,

No one has ever stopped us ( both royal and Celebrity)

No queues and just walk off

The best part about it is you don't have to have everything packed before Dinner

Last time we departed barcelona, we came off the ship to find our bags had been circulating on a conveyor belt for some time and other PAX bags seemed to have gone missing,

since then we now carry off ( actually push off :))

We began taking advantage of the self disembarkation about 5 years ago and would never go back to the other way. First ones off the ship and no long waits...

Nancy

I have always wondered why people want to be the first ones off the ship. To me I would rather stay and enjoy myself as long as I can.