first time solo cruising

peaches153

Hi everyone.. first time on here. first time doing a solo cruise.

going on the Mardi Gras Carnival Dream. Any solo traveler tips or suggestions. Thinking of getting a roommate. what are your thoughts on this. Also I need transportation from Airport to ship,, what is the best way to go about this, thanks in advance for all suggestions..

Peaches, there's a section here on the board for solo cruises. You may find it helpful to visit it and look around for suggestions on solo cruising. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 My last few cruises have been solo and I've had a great time!

It would be helpful if you let us know where the Dream sails. Not everyone will know and if you specify you may get some suggestions on transportation. Also, take a look at the ports of call section, and you'll likely find information there on transportation from the airport to the pier.

As far as a roommate, if you're talking about a friend of yours, then consider whether you feel you can travel with that person. If you're talking about a stranger, I'm in the no way no how not ever ever ever in my life would I even consider that! Again, visit the solo board--you should find a few threads there about rooming with strangers. If you decide to pursue getting a roommate, just know you can't do that here on Cruise Critic--against the rules.

Finally, be sure to check out your roll call. From the home page of the forum, scroll down to the roll call threads. Select Carnival Roll Calls and then your ship. You'll find your roll call there. These are others on CC who are on the same sailing as you. Often they'll have a meet and greet on board the ship and many of them also set up excursions in ports so you can share a private excursion that is usually better and far less expensive than those offered through the ship.

Cheers!

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I cruise solo most of the time. Like Quilting Cruiser, there is no way I would share a tiny cabin with a stranger. If you really want to do this however, you can do a google search and find a site that will help you find someone.

I also suggest joining your roll call. You have ready made friends before boarding the ship.

If you can, ask for a large dinner table at fixed seating. Good way to make friends you will see everyday.

Even as a male, there's no way in hell I'd share a cabin with a stranger! That's like going on a blind date that lasts a week, or 10 days if that's the length of your cruise.

Beyond that, welcome to cruise critic and the, I think, wonderful 😀 world of cruising

• 3 months later...

Like others have said - unless this is a friend you would be comfortable with in small quarters, go ahead. But, I would relish the time alone.

Do not feel pressured to go for a big table for your meals. It is all in how you feel. I'm not a joiner and I do not go in for idle chitchat with strangers; I have to do that all day long with my guests at work in the hotel. I relish my private time for relaxing and recovering from the Winter tourist season. Do what you feel you want to do. Maybe the anytime dining would work - if you want a big table, go for it, and if you want to do a solo, do it...