Liberty of the Seas question on Wifi and internet

Can someone give me a basic understanding of what I need to know? We're about to leave on the 23rd to Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. I've read so much I think I've confused myself. My husband and I are staying in a junior suite. We will have our cell phones and lap tops. We have AT&T and certainly don't want to be charged outrageous fees.

I don't know the difference between zoom and surf, what I'm supposed to do with my cellphone etc.

I appreciate your time and assistance in figuring this out.

What do you need/want to do?

VOOM is the marketing term for internet for RCI. There are two tiers of service, just like you have at home. For most users, the lower tier Surf is enough.

For most AT&T users with phones capable of WiFi calling, it is a good option to enable calling/texting without any further charges, but again, it depends why you need any internet in the first place.

Edited by Biker19

What do you need/want to do?

VOOM is the marketing term for internet for RCI. There are two tiers of service, just like you have at home. For most users, the lower tier Surf is enough.

For most AT&T users with phones capable of WiFi calling, it is a good option to enable calling/texting without any further charges, but again, it depends why you need any internet in the first place.

Ok so one is for searching the internet, the other is for watching movies right?

Now do you know what the options are for the phone? I've read that people put their phones on airplane mode for something. But can't I use the ship wifi for my phone?

Ok so one is for searching the internet, the other is for watching movies right?

Now do you know what the options are for the phone? I've read that people put their phones on airplane mode for something. But can't I use the ship wifi for my phone?

You put your phone in Airplane mode then re-enable wifi only. That way you use Wifi for all data access and not your cellular service. If you also enable Wifi calling on your phone then you can make and receive phone calls over the wifi service (Do this before the cruise as it will need to activate over the cellular network).

Yes, you can use the ship's WiFi on your phone. Put the phone in airplane mode (to prevent any charges from the cell carrier) and then turn back on WiFi.

You put your phone in Airplane mode then re-enable wifi only. That way you use Wifi for all data access and not your cellular service. If you also enable Wifi calling on your phone then you can make and receive phone calls over the wifi service (Do this before the cruise as it will need to activate over the cellular network).

ok let me see if I go this.

if I put my phone in airplane mode and enable wifi I can use the ships wifi that I pay for with the zoom/surf package or is that my phone service?

ok let me see if I go this.

if I put my phone in airplane mode and enable wifi I can use the ships wifi that I pay for with the zoom/surf package or is that my phone service?

You would be using the ship's WiFi that you pay for. Once the phone is in Airplane mode, there should be no extra charges from the phone company.

Edited by clarea

Try this at home right now.Put your phone in airplane mode, turn on WiFi only and see what works (or not) on your phone (calls, text) - that's what you'll have on the ship.

You can use either tier for anything, it's just that the higher tier will work better for stuff like watching movies.

Gotcha! One more question, can my husband and I alternate being on the Voom or once we have signed in that's the device that needs to be on the wifi? I guess the other way to ask is if I have my cell phone on wifi and I have my laptop to they each have to have their on log in or can I alternate which device I use?

I guess it's the difference between 2 or 4 device charges.

Am I understanding this?

Thank you for being patient with me.

Joelle~

Edited by imzacksmom

Gotcha! One more question, can my husband and I alternate being on the Voom or once we have signed in that's the device that needs to be on the wifi? I guess the other way to ask is if I have my cell phone on wifi and I have my laptop to they each have to have their on log in or can I alternate which device I use?

I guess it's the difference between 2 or 4 device charges.

You can use any number of devices you want up to the device number package you bought. If you buy a 2 device package you can have 2 devices on at once. If you want to use a third device you'll have to logout one of the other 2 devices. You can buy a single device package and share it among any number of devices, you just need to be aware of which one of them is logged on at any one time.

You use the same logon for all devices - the system keeps track of the limits (either with an error message or by forcibly logging off the previous device).

Edited by Biker19

Gotcha, ok so if I switch to wifi before I get to the boat, like in the port will that be far enough from the boat to do it?

Try this at home right now.Put your phone in airplane mode, turn on WiFi only and see what works (or not) on your phone (calls, text) - that's what you'll have on the ship.

Great idea. I didn't even know I could do that! Thank you! Joelle~

Gotcha, ok so if I switch to wifi before I get to the boat, like in the port will that be far enough from the boat to do it?

You can wait until you start to sail. The ship won't switch on it's cell tower until well away from land.

You can use any number of devices you want up to the device number package you bought. If you buy a 2 device package you can have 2 devices on at once. If you want to use a third device you'll have to logout one of the other 2 devices. You can buy a single device package and share it among any number of devices, you just need to be aware of which one of them is logged on at any one time.

You use the same logon for all devices - the system keeps track of the limits (either with an error message or by forcibly logging off the previous device).

Ah ha! Ok that made me think of another question, if you don't mind. If my phone is on wifi and airplane mode, can I receive text messages from on the boat or the mainland?