Zuiderdam Concerns???

RI-FL

We are planning on doing a partial transit of the Panama Canal with HAL. We have done this itinerary before many years ago. However, we are getting mixed reviews on the condition of this ship. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

No complaints from me. Just sailed on her in Sept and going back in Feb.

You already asked this on the carpet thread. Don't be put off my the comments there. It's just having a little fun at the expense of HAL's interior designers.

The ship is in good condition and the crew are always working to keep her clean.

I have to disagree to an extent.

We sailed Zuiderdam in March and it was not up to the standard of other HAL ships we have been on.

We had an aft balcony on 8 and it was a little beat up and our balcony furniture was filty. We covered them with pool towels and were fine.

Many people we met through the roll call, open dining, trivia, and excursions were disappointed in the ship and what they expected of HAL. I found myself saying over and over not to base your opinion on HAL on this ship.

There was a strike when it was in for drydock and alot did not get done.

Our a/c was down a few hours the second night. The decks below us had it out for longer. The crew contacted us several times to see if it was working okay and gave OBC which was not necessary.

The food, crew, and service were great as usual and I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat. We are easy and it was not a big deal to us, but it did bother some. I think you need to go in knowing what to expect so you are not disappointed.

There were issues on this ship a couple of years ago (or three?).

I think most reports have been good since then but fair warning - when you get to the Panama the A/C srruggles on every cruise. It is very hot and there are requests to please not leave balcony doors open (which you should never do anyways), etc. They fully warn that A/C will suffer if anyone does this.

Loved the partial Panama Canal (and it was on the Zuiderdam). We hope you enjoy it too :)

We too did this cruise not to long ago on the Zuiderdam and really enjoyed it.

Seems like EVERY ship is going to have issues at one time or another...and people are always going to complain. It really does help to go with an open mind and if something does happen...don't freak out...let them fix it!!

Have a great cruise and happy sailing to all. Hope you enjoy the video :D

• 3 weeks later...