Gluten free - your experience?

Froufie

We pre-ordered one night for dinner and didn't show. I don't think they make it ahead of time but basically make it to order when you show up. I agree about the being on vacation type of thought - I like to eat whenever I am hungry and go with the flow. The thing about the buffet is that there is room for cross contamination and the menu changes - the dining room was a guarantee so we ate there 7 out of 8 nights. As long as you know what your main go to's are - pizza, deli) and ask a lot of questions at the buffet, you can go with the flow and be on 'vacation'. Also if it makes any difference, we do anytime dining so went when we wanted.

Yes of course flexibility helps - and I have late dining and usually eat dinner in the MDR but I know first night this time is at La Cucina and there may be a jiji's or steakhouse somewhere in there as well!

Not really super concerned about cross contamination - as I do not have a severe allergy or anything like that - but I would ask if I thought something was made with dairy/cheese or probably just avoid it as there would be many other things I could eat!

I guess my eating won't be too 'exciting' as I can always find a protein/starch/veggie that is suitable - will ask about soups/sauces/desserts/etc as required :(

Pre order. It's better safe than sorry. Life happens.

Also, if for whatever reason you didn't eat dinner in the MDR, make a trip to the MDR and place your next day's order with the hostess.

Good tip to pre-order if I am eating somewhere else the previous night - thanks! :)

My son has celiac disease. We sailed on the Pride in September. The gluten free experience was great. On the afternoon when you board the ship go to the main dining room and see the maitre' d and let him know of your food allergies. He will show you that nights dinner menu. After that each night usually around desert time your dining staff will give you the next nights dinner menu. Pick whatever you want. If you can't make up your mind between two items order both. You will order that whole nights meal. There was only one item out of the whole cruise that the chef could not make GF. My son loved all of his food. And the warm chocolate melting cake was awesome. You know it's gluten free as it is served in different shaped dish. They served bread every night and for GF bread it was ok. If your ship has Guys burger joint the burgers are GF and you can get it on a GF bun or do what my son did and forget the bun. The fries will also have to be made separately without the seasoning. Keep in mind that the frozen special drinks are off limits as they are not GF. My son also ordered GF grilled cheese sandwich from romp my service and liked it. I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you know which frozen drinks are NOT GF? My Celiac daughter was looking forward to these :(

Carnival may have gotten better from the last cruise we took in 2014 but my experience was as follows:

Embarkation day I found some one in the buffet area to ask which items were GF. Unfortunately they must not have understood because the stuff they pointed out, and I then ate, subsequently had me running for the RR within 30 minutes. After that experience, any time we had no choice but to eat in the buffet, I would stick to things I was certain were GF and really just eat enough to hold me until we could eat in the MDR. If the option for a MDR meal was there, that's where we were.

In the MDR my experience was pretty good. The GF bread they were serving at that time was pretty inedible- this isn't the Udi's sandwhich style bread- it was like some sort of bread they baked on-board. Other than that- I ordered my meals the night before as other posters described doing- and I didn't have any issues with doing that. My meals came as requested. I didn't get sick from anything served in the MDR.

My upcoming three cruises (one NCL two Carnival) will be interesting to say the least because now not only do I have to dine GF, I recently had gastric sleeve surgery and will need to eat to accommodate my new tiny tummy. No more GF WCMC for me. :(

Carnival may have gotten better from the last cruise we took in 2014 but my experience was as follows:

Embarkation day I found some one in the buffet area to ask which items were GF. Unfortunately they must not have understood because the stuff they pointed out, and I then ate, subsequently had me running for the RR within 30 minutes. After that experience, any time we had no choice but to eat in the buffet, I would stick to things I was certain were GF and really just eat enough to hold me until we could eat in the MDR. If the option for a MDR meal was there, that's where we were.

In the MDR my experience was pretty good. The GF bread they were serving at that time was pretty inedible- this isn't the Udi's sandwhich style bread- it was like some sort of bread they baked on-board. Other than that- I ordered my meals the night before as other posters described doing- and I didn't have any issues with doing that. My meals came as requested. I didn't get sick from anything served in the MDR.

My upcoming three cruises (one NCL two Carnival) will be interesting to say the least because now not only do I have to dine GF, I recently had gastric sleeve surgery and will need to eat to accommodate my new tiny tummy. No more GF WCMC for me. :(

In the buffet speak specifically to the hostess, Head Lido chef or one of the managers dressed in white. The servers and regular line guys mean well but can make mistakes.