Key West

For snorkeling, we've done a few catamaran triops over the years in Key West. My best recommendation would be the early AM Fury Catamaran tour. This would most likely be the tour operator the cruise ship offers, but they've taken direct reservations in the past (although the quoted prices were about the same).

They take you out to the living coral reef, which when the water is calm, is a very enjoyable snorkel. When the water is even marginally choppy or is bad weather has recently passed through, the water gets cloudy/murky very easily and I've found the experience to be sub-par.

Have fun!

Here is some info on beaches in KeyWest. Another idea is to rent scooters and travel around the town. Go bar hopping to Hog's Breath, Sloppy Joe's, Margarittaville etc. We went to the Key's on our honeymoon . Went to the bars, then did the sunset party at Mallory Square, also did the KeyWest Cemetary (was really interesting, people put interesting quotes and sayings on their tombstones). We ate at Crabby Bill's on Green Street. Really good and reasonable food. My DH had Shrimp wrapped in bacon. He loved it.

Fort Zachary Taylor

An 87 acre state park with a pre-Civil War Fort. Wonderful sunset views. One of the best beaches in Key West, though a bit rocky. Public restrooms, food/drink kiosk, chair rentals, picnic tables and BBQ's. Admission charged. Entrance through Truman Annex at Southard Street.

South Beach

A favorite of locals. Nice sandy beach with shallow waters and a concrete pier. No restrooms or facilities. Located at the end of Duval Street on the Atlantic Ocean.

Dog Beach

A canine favorite though rocky and slippery. No restrooms or facilities. Located next to Louie's Backyard (Vernon and Waddell)

Higg's Beach

Wide sandy beach with long wooden pier. Restroom facilities, covered picnic tables, full service restaurant, playground, chair rentals, rafts and watersports rentals. End of Reynold's Street.

Rest Beach

Soft sand and natural vegetation. Home of the White Street Pier where you can enjoy some great fishing. Wheelchair accessible. Yoga deck with nightly classes. Restrooms within walking distance. Picnic tables. White Street on Atlantic Ocean.

Smathers Beach

Half mile stretch of sandy man-made beach. Restrooms, ample parking, concession stands, chair rentals, bike paths, picnic tables, volleyball nets, watersports rentals - jet skiiing, parasailing, and windsurfing. South Roosevelt Boulevard.

What is the cost of renting scooters? How close is the rental place to the dock? Thought this sounded like fun too! Considering the Trolley Tour too. Will also be there next week. I have written a couple of the places of business that I plan to visit and they said they are open and ready for business!:)

We were in Key West less than a week after Rita passed through and the beaches we saw then were not in very good shape with the beating they took. With Wilma since then (even worse than Rita), your best bet would be some of the options others have suggested.

we went to key west last december for 3 days on a vacation. not with a cruise.

i can tell you some great places to see.

margaritaville, sloppy joes, i cannot remember the name of the restaurant but it is in a dark brick building and served the best cuban food near the pier.

kino sandal factory

hemmingways house - it was interesting, expensive for such a short tour but interesting.

we went on a catamaran sunset cruise and it was alot of fun.

we went to key west last december for 3 days on a vacation. not with a cruise.

i can tell you some great places to see.

margaritaville, sloppy joes, i cannot remember the name of the restaurant but it is in a dark brick building and served the best cuban food near the pier.

kino sandal factory

hemmingways house - it was interesting, expensive for such a short tour but interesting.

we went on a catamaran sunset cruise and it was alot of fun.

Archived