Juneau Car Rental & Parking by Tram?

AryMay

I am in planning mode for Alaskan cruise #2 next May on the NCL Sun and need some help figuring out our day in Juneau.

Our port times in Juneau are from 2 pm until 10 pm and I have a car reserved from Juneau Car Rental for the day. (We rented from them on our last cruise and were happy with the car and the price.)

Besides visiting Mendenhall Glacier, etc. we would like to take the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts (weather permitting.) The car rental location is close to the AJ Dock so ideally it would be nice to pick up the car and drive directly to the tram before going on to Mendenhall...but is there a place to park? The other option might be to do the tram at the end of the day, but it would still be much more convenient to park near the tram rather than returning the car first and then going BACK to the tram.

If parking is not available by the tram, does anyone have any advice on how to best make this day work (ie picking up & returning rental car, tram, & Mendenhall?)

We have four $50 excursion credits (NCL booking promo) for this cruise and the tram seems like a good option to use one of the credits on.

Edited by AryMay

You can't park in the tram parking lot. You can try and find street parking, at the other end, past there, which is also very limited. Probably the better option will be to turn in the car, then take your ship shuttle to the tram, or take the ship shuttle to the tram, then go back and pick up the car. Mendenhall doesn't "close".

You can't park in the tram parking lot.

???? :confused: This confuses me. There is a parking lot...but we can't park there? Where would a local park if they wanted to go on the tram?

Probably the better option will be to turn in the car, then take your ship shuttle to the tram, or take the ship shuttle to the tram, then go back and pick up the car.

This was what I was hoping to avoid if possible.

From what I've found, there will be only one other ship in port that day. If that is the case, would the Sun perhaps dock close to the tram rather than at the AJ Dock (where I've read it usually docks?)

Edited by AryMay

???? :confused: This confuses me. There is a parking lot...but we can't park there? Where would a local park if they wanted to go on the tram?

This was what I was hoping to avoid if possible.

From what I've found, there will be only one other ship in port that day. If that is the case, would the Sun perhaps dock close to the tram rather than at the AJ Dock (where I've read it usually docks?)

IF you recall, this is a vendor lot. I've seen the pedestrian crossing people, not allow cars in this lot. As I stated, you would have to drive around and look. Since you have been there before- it's pretty clear, it's very limited and congested on the street.

I'd suggest you park at the pay garage at the library and walk back- assuming no mobility issues.

IF you recall, this is a vendor lot. I've seen the pedestrian crossing people, not allow cars in this lot. As I stated, you would have to drive around and look. Since you have been there before- it's pretty clear, it's very limited and congested on the street.

I'd suggest you park at the pay garage at the library and walk back- assuming no mobility issues.

Thanks...and no I didn't recall about the parking since we didn't do the tram on our last visit (which is why I was asking the question, LOL!) When we were there the last time our friends picked up the rental car and met us at Mendenhall Glacier after we were dropped off there following our whale watching tour.

Go on www.google.com/maps enter Juneau and then go to go street view and enter this address 484 S Franklin St. You can cruise around the area, that’ll kind of give you an idea as to the lay of the land. Juneau car rental changed their name a few years ago from "Rent a Wreck", their cars leave a lot to be desired.

I contacted the visitors bureau and these are the responses:

Near the Sealaska Heritage Center: There is street parking and there is a paid parking lot on Main street a block away (parking in structure is permit only but you can pay for spaces in the uncovered lot). Hours are 9 am-8 pm.

Near S Franklin/Front St: There is a paid parking lot on the corner of Main and Eagan Drive and a parking garage on South Franklin below the library.

We ended up not renting, so all I can offer is the info above.

Go on www.google.com/maps enter Juneau and then go to go street view and enter this address 484 S Franklin St. You can cruise around the area, that’ll kind of give you an idea as to the lay of the land. Juneau car rental changed their name a few years ago from "Rent a Wreck", their cars leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks...that was helpful. It appears there is a parking lot right next to the tram, but I will assume it is just for tour operators as BudgetQueen implied (although I couldn't see any signs indicating that.)

The car we rented from Juneau Car Rental two years ago was an older model, but it ran well and we had no problems. For next May, their price is $20 per day cheaper than renting from Avis.

I contacted the visitors bureau and these are the responses:

Near the Sealaska Heritage Center: There is street parking and there is a paid parking lot on Main street a block away (parking in structure is permit only but you can pay for spaces in the uncovered lot). Hours are 9 am-8 pm.

Near S Franklin/Front St: There is a paid parking lot on the corner of Main and Eagan Drive and a parking garage on South Franklin below the library.

We ended up not renting, so all I can offer is the info above.

Thanks...I will put these addresses in my notes.

We did your exact plan this July. Got a car from Juneau car rental. Picked it up at AJ dock. Drove to the tram. Right before the tram, on the left side of the road, there was a parking lot with paid parking. It was $2/hour and could be paid with a credit card. We paid for 3 hours and used about 2.5 (we did the loop, visited the eagle, got ice cream and shopped a little). After that went to Mendenhall Glacier and then visited the hatchery after hours - so much fun! It was a great day.