On board spending & graturities?

Southendweather

Glad you are not my accountant

The timing of applying the gratuities does make a difference since the Peninsula Club discount is only taken from purchases NOT from gratuities so taking the gratuities earlier in the cruise means that the OBC is used used up earlier so the discount starts being applied early in the cruise.

The timing of applying the gratuities does make a difference since the Peninsula Club discount is only taken from purchases NOT from gratuities so taking the gratuities earlier in the cruise means that the OBC is used used up earlier so the discount starts being applied early in the cruise.

I fully agree Jody. This is the point that I have been trying to make. It will be interesting to see how it is done on your upcoming cruise. Please let us know.

I read this somewhere recently, not sure if it was a review, blog or just in a thread, but it was somebody who had just returned from a cruise.

Enjoy your cruise

Val

Josy, peninsular discount is only applied once you have spent all your OBC, if you still have unused OBC left at the end of your cruise, you will get no discount regardless of when they apply the grats.

However on our August Britannia cruise the grats were applied on day 2, so it seems P&O are still operating the old system.

Ok not everyone is on the same wage etc.

However if money is that tight..do they also cut down on drinking in the bars or eating in speciality options.

I really wish they would include in the headline fare..has been posted numerous times why they may not be.

However they don't.

I hope none of the on a tight budget go on an American cruise line....grats on there are at least double pando's per day.

I would like to do 4 cruises a year in a full suite each time....I cant afford to so I don't do it. One should cut ones cloth according to ones means and factor in the grats when you are working out the price of a cruise.It really is not that much.

If all the refuseniks stopped cruising how are they going to fill the ships.

David.

We boarded Arcadia on 11/09 they deducted auto-g on 12/09. After studying the invoice I agree that had they deducted the auto-g at the end of the cruise rather than the beginning we would have been worse off, but they didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I object to being told I have to pay a tip, and how much I have to pay. A tip by its very nature is optional, I do tip, but on my terms. I do not see it my job to supplement the workers wages, that is P and O's position. If it was built in then It would make sense. That is why I won't travel on the American lines, because I want the control. We are going to America soon, and because tipping is part of the culture there I will abide by it. While ever P and O make the tipping optional I will use my veto and make my own decision. When I go on all inclusive hotel holiday, I don't then go and tip the waiter, the maid etc. But that is My decision. If you don't agree with it that's fine, I respect your choice and decision. But please don't bang your drum about how good you are and what you do. Accept that other people have their own reason for doing things. At the end of the day it's hardly a crime

Sent from my iPad using Forums

i object to being told i have to pay a tip, and how much i have to pay. A tip by its very nature is optional, i do tip, but on my terms. I do not see it my job to supplement the workers wages, that is p and o's position. If it was built in then it would make sense. That is why i won't travel on the american lines, because i want the control. We are going to america soon, and because tipping is part of the culture there i will abide by it. While ever p and o make the tipping optional i will use my veto and make my own decision. When i go on all inclusive hotel holiday, i don't then go and tip the waiter, the maid etc. But that is my decision. If you don't agree with it that's fine, i respect your choice and decision. But please don't bang your drum about how good you are and what you do. Accept that other people have their own reason for doing things. At the end of the day it's hardly a crime

sent from my ipad using forums

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Edited by Arabd

I object to being told I have to pay a tip, and how much I have to pay. A tip by its very nature is optional, I do tip, but on my terms. I do not see it my job to supplement the workers wages, that is P and O's position. If it was built in then It would make sense. That is why I won't travel on the American lines, because I want the control. We are going to America soon, and because tipping is part of the culture there I will abide by it. While ever P and O make the tipping optional I will use my veto and make my own decision. When I go on all inclusive hotel holiday, I don't then go and tip the waiter, the maid etc. But that is My decision. If you don't agree with it that's fine, I respect your choice and decision. But please don't bang your drum about how good you are and what you do. Accept that other people have their own reason for doing things. At the end of the day it's hardly a crime

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have always been an advocate of keeping the current tipping system as the main way of providing the service staff with a satisfactory wage. Mainly for the selfish reason that I suspect if the "tips" were to be incorporated into the headline cruise price it would result in an overall increased price.

However your post, and other similar ones, is gradually changing my mind and I now accept that the only fair way for passengers, and service staff, is to incorporate it into the cruise price.

I don't really understand why some people think that others should subsidise their holiday, particularly when it is such a relatively small amount

Do you realise that P&O withhold the auto-gratuity that you paid them and only pass in on if the employee get an exceptional rating from guest feedback. Don't be naive, P&O use the gratuity system to exercise control over their staff and increase their bottomline.

Do you realise that P&O withhold the auto-gratuity that you paid them and only pass in on if the employee get an exceptional rating from guest feedback. Don't be naive, P&O use the gratuity system to exercise control over their staff and increase their bottomline.

I think you have got yourself confused. Nobody know 100% how it works, but from what has been posted in the past...the questionnaire decides the bonus they get for a good rating.

The auto grats go 100% to the crew,and it states on line and in the brochure who gets it.

Pando do not use grats to exercise control over their staff and increase their bottom line.the public do that by paying select fares and spending a lot of money onboard.

As far as I understand it, getting an exceptional rating gives the crew member an additional bonus on top of the auto tips they receive. If they had to get top marks I suggest hardly any of them would be getting tips at all.

Confused, I think not. It is very difficult to believe their rhetoric with any credibility.

Yet you expect people to believe your unfounded allegation that P and O are misappropriating autogratuities? I agree that a little more transparency would be helpful but would you believe it anyway? I assume that you will no longer cruise with such a dishonest company.

It is clear that whatever statements P&O make, that 100% of auto grats do go to service staff, there will be some who choose not to believe them, and make this a feeble excuse for removing the auto tips and probably/possibly (choose for yourself) pretending to tip in cash to those they feel deserve it.

However with the present turmoil in the currency market, and Sterling about 20% down against the dollar, it will become increasingly difficult to retain service staff without giving them a further increase.

It may therefore be opportune for P&O to use the current climate to absorb "tips" into the cruise price, along with the other increases in costs for fuel, food and port charges as well.