KIds in MDR

MNLIvin

Taking kids and Grandkids on the Conquest in January. Was asked how dressy a 4 and 7 year old should be in the MDR on regular evenings and elegant evenings. I know pretty much anything can work but the Mother of these 2 wants to do what is "right"

You didn't say if it's boys are girls. I have one of each. My daughter loves to dress up. I take her to a second hand children's store and let her pick out her own dresses. They are some crazy colors but she loves it, looks forward to dinner and it only cost $20 to $30. A pair of sandals or dress flats for her and don't be afraid to let little girls wear jewelry to dinner. My son, well he would go in his PJ if I let him. Khaki pants and a collard shirt, polo or button up works great with Sperry (top sider) shoes.

If you haven't had little ones in the MDR here's a few things that help us.

1) The staff will always be at your table. They love to see children and will help keep them happy.

2) Consider letting them order an appetizer along with their meal from the children's menu. It helps them with the wait.

3) We often order a mocktail at the bar on the way in. For some reason, a drink in a different shape cup does wonders.

4) We have found that the MDR works better then 1 grownup trying to bring food for everyone. We eat in the MDR for Breakfast, lunch, brunch, whenever possible.

Enjoy your trip!

My daughter is 4 and loves to dress up so she wore a sun dress every night to the MDR. On elegant night she had a more fancy dress that she wore. My son is 2 and he wore khaki shorts and a button down shirt. One night he insisted on wearing a paw patrol shirt and there was no issue. On elegant night he was a suit vest, button up striped shirt and suit pants with a tie. He really liked wearing the tie.

I preferred eating in the MDR vs he buffet. Our waiter kept the kids a plate ahead of us and when they got to antsy one of us would go check them in the kids club for the nightly activity. Worked great for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We follow the normal dress code. I like to dress my kids up and they enjoy it too. My daughter wears skirts and shirts/ sundresses on normal nights and a fancy "Christmas/Easter dress" on formal nights. My son wears collard shirts and khakis on normal nights and a suit/tie on formal nights. I have even ordered tux's for him on ebay for $30. Not only is it fun to dress up, it makes for great photo opportunities.

My boys enjoyed "dressing up" for dinner and enjoyed the MDRs. For fancy nights they wore a blue sport coat, shirt & tie, chinos and Sperry's. For non-fancy night generally a polo shirt and chinos. As a family we have done shorts in the dining room, but that is just us. Love, love my ship pics of the family all cleaned and spiffed up. I treasure those pictures as they grew up. Now they are young adults and they do know how to clean-up. It's a good social lesson for young kids.

To set an example, we have used elegant evenings as an opportunity to teach the boys to dress up, and so they have worn long sleeve shirt and tie, chinos and dress shoes to most formal night. On cruise casual, it was the chinos and a polo.

But each year that we cruise, it seems to be turning more and more casual, and I have started to allow them to wear jeans on cruise casual nights, as long as they still have on a polo shirt, tucked in, and a belt. They are now older (12 and 18) and I think at Christmas, I will give them a choice of tie or their navy blazer with a polo.

Hubby and I are cruising with friends in 2 days and they don't want to dress up - we will still be in business causal clothes for dinner, but will skip the MDR on formal night, because though it technically fits the dress code, I don't feel it meets my personal standards of elegant evening. The great thing about the sunshine is you have JiJis and Cucina which remain cruise causal even on elegant evenings!

We are a very casual family and also adhere to a 1 carry on size suitcase per person rule so there is no changing into "nicer" clothes for dinner. Kids wear shorts/t-shirts (teen boy) or sundress/capris/tshirt (tween girl) and adult (ladies) wear capris/t-shirt or sundress. On elegant night the boy wears slacks and button down shirt and girls wear nicer dress. No one likes dressing up but we do it because we want to be served our dinner and not eat buffet.

Taking kids and Grandkids on the Conquest in January. Was asked how dressy a 4 and 7 year old should be in the MDR on regular evenings and elegant evenings. I know pretty much anything can work but the Mother of these 2 wants to do what is "right"

Basically school clothes for regular dinners; and holiday fancy for elegant evenings.