Marrakech

I have read some grim reports of visiting Agadir, most say stay on the ship

After reading the reviews I don't really fancy any of the trips but then I think it will be the first and only time I got to Morocco so is it worth going to Marrakech

It's 3 and a half hours on the bus and the same back, has anyone been on this trip and is it worth the £70 charge and spending 7 hours on the bus

I don't intend to be doing any trips at the other ports as I've been there before, we will probably head for the nearest town

Are the bad reports of Agadir true, and if it's that bad why do you think they still keep going there ?

Thanks

The port of Agadir itself is quite industrial but once you get out of the port the beach area is really nice. Lovely hotels. People are friendly and welcoming. A bit of hassle in the markets but a polite No Thank You is all that is needed.

Very unfair of people to tell you not to get of the ship. If they haven't been off the ship how can they advise anyone. Some people just can't cope with different cultures. That says more about them than it does the locals.

The port of Agadir itself is quite industrial but once you get out of the port the beach area is really nice. Lovely hotels. People are friendly and welcoming. A bit of hassle in the markets but a polite No Thank You is all that is needed.

Very unfair of people to tell you not to get of the ship. If they haven't been off the ship how can they advise anyone. Some people just can't cope with different cultures. That says more about them than it does the locals.

It doesn't sound that bad then, think I'll save the money then and head for the beach, thanks

I agree with Nancy. The beach area is lovely. We spent a week in one of the hotel there a few years ago. There is a beautiful promenade and sandy beach.

When we went there with Fred.Olsen they provided a shuttle bus and it is about time Thomson did the same! Taxis are available outside the port gates, but some are a bit dilapidated, so be careful.

2z3p2kl.jpg

We've been to Agadir many times both as cruisers and hotel stayers and really like it. It has a wonderful beach, the grand souk is really good and the petit taxis from and to the port are cheap and plentiful. The locals are friendly and they like British people. Stall holders are persistent but not aggressive and a smile and a no thank you goes a long way. We've also done the Marrakech excursion from Agadir. It's a long but interesting trip with tons to see and do when you get there. Not to be missed in our view. The weather has always been hot and sunny when we've been.

I agree with Nancy. The beach area is lovely. We spent a week in one of the hotel there a few years ago. There is a beautiful promenade and sandy beach.

When we went there with Fred.Olsen they provided a shuttle bus and it is about time Thomson did the same! Taxis are available outside the port gates, but some are a bit dilapidated, so be careful.

2z3p2kl.jpg

That looks lovely, I thought there were shuttle busses, but maybe a charge for them ?

We've been to Agadir many times both as cruisers and hotel stayers and really like it. It has a wonderful beach, the grand souk is really good and the petit taxis from and to the port are cheap and plentiful. The locals are friendly and they like British people. Stall holders are persistent but not aggressive and a smile and a no thank you goes a long way. We've also done the Marrakech excursion from Agadir. It's a long but interesting trip with tons to see and do when you get there. Not to be missed in our view. The weather has always been hot and sunny when we've been.

I'm really looking forward to this port now, had all but written it off

I think as we are only there for the day we will stick to Agadir now, 7 hours is a long time to be on a coach if it's hot and I was only thinking of going there to get away from Agadir

Thank you

I went on an organised trip to Marrakesh a few years back, my favourite part was the market, it was massive and very easy to get lost, we were advised to stick to the perimeter of the stalls so you could find your way out again, you do get pestered constantly but that is part and parcel of their way of life as well as the haggling.

I personally am a little cautious these days of going to Muslim countries with all the unrest and hatred to westerners but they must be just a small minority of the people, I would only do these trips in groups nowadays, call me over cautious but that's just me.

I went on an organised trip to Marrakesh a few years back, my favourite part was the market, it was massive and very easy to get lost, we were advised to stick to the perimeter of the stalls so you could find your way out again, you do get pestered constantly but that is part and parcel of their way of life as well as the haggling.

I personally am a little cautious these days of going to Muslim countries with all the unrest and hatred to westerners but they must be just a small minority of the people, I would only do these trips in groups nowadays, call me over cautious but that's just me.

Another reason to stick close to the ship I think, you can't be too careful I suppose

Went last year on bus trip to most northerly point of Africa then to a what can only be described as a square with relics then marched down cobbled alleyways past every beggar in agadir stopped at a little cafe and charged for drinks in Euro s and harassed by every watch and scarfe seller selling Asda price Rolex and Louis Vuitton scarfes then took down to the casbah to kids selling chewing gum . Save yourself the hassle and stay on board drink beer tan and leave the mysteries of the area and the casbah in your imagination . I wish I had .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went last year on bus trip to most northerly point of Africa then to a what can only be described as a square with relics then marched down cobbled alleyways past every beggar in agadir stopped at a little cafe and charged for drinks in Euro s and harassed by every watch and scarfe seller selling Asda price Rolex and Louis Vuitton scarfes then took down to the casbah to kids selling chewing gum . Save yourself the hassle and stay on board drink beer tan and leave the mysteries of the area and the casbah in your imagination . I wish I had .

If you just want to stay on board and drink beer and tan why go on a cruise ? Whole idea of a cruise is to experience different places that you may not have had the chance to visit or may not have thought of visiting. I haven't been to Marrakesh yet but have enjoyed Agadir, Rabatt and Casablanca. Loved the experience. Also travelled widely in India, Egypt and many Middle Eastern countries. Haggling over prices is a way of life in these countries and can be fun. I have always found people to be friendly and welcoming. Yes their way of life is different to ours that's what makes travelling such a wonderful experience. I would never dream of telling people to stay on board and have them miss out on the opportunity to make up their own mind about a country or it's people. We are all different in our expectations and remember travel broadens the mind.

I went on the Massa 4x4 excursion in Agadir. Trip down the coast and then into the hills in 'Land Rover'. There were a number of vehicles in a convoy each with their own driver and an overall guide. Included a good lunch.

You get to see Agadir as you drive through and are isolated from most hassle (if that is what you want).

I can only pass on our experiences of our visits, which are not judgmental of any of the previous posts.

For our first visit we did a Thomson excursion on which we had a very bad experience with the locals for which Thomson refunded everyone's expense's, so the next time we visited we decided to do our own thing which we had planed but obviously had to pick the taxi up at the port gates, after a long walk through the port area, which if anyone has done they will understand its a bit scary, we arrived for our pick up but unfortunately had another bad experience with locals which may just have been unlucky for us, so for our third visit we did stay on board and we may even have had a drink but not a beer.

We do like the whole cruise thing which includes visiting new places but if we find one we don't like please don't judge us, or anyone else, for giving it a miss, only a couple of weeks ago we visited Durres in Albania but would not get off the ship if ever we go again.

We just like to feel safe and enjoy our holiday.:)

Reading your post as I lie here in the sun of Mallorca I find it hard to understand why you are so upset . My point of view was as a tourist who has been there done that and was giving a different point of view and my added response of drinking beer and tanning was merely a lightening quip to a down beat post . But if you really take posts that serious I wish you well.

We have had both great and not so good experiences at this port. I would always advise a little bit of caution here, but to be fair I would advise the same for other more popular ports eg Barcelona which is renound for pick pockets. Personally I wouldn't go out with young children and it's also not for anyone who is particulalry nervous in new places as the culture is so different. The difference is however interesting to see first hand.

Done a few of the Ships tours, the same ones are probably still on offer,

The Kasba (sic) and Grand Souk tour was fun, we enjoyed bartering with the locals in French but less so the hassle from cheap watch sellers outside however as others have said a firm but polite no worked.

The camel ride round the Royal palace gardens and bird reserve was brilliant, if it is on offer then worth considering as long as you have strong leg muscles!

The trip North to the mountains was ok the highlight was the tree climbing goat trees.

We have also used the local taxis to visit different places and I'm not sure I would do that again now as there is not much more to see for us.

Take small denomination notes to pay for anything as if you get change you can't take it out of Morrocco as its a closed currency.

Enjoy the port whatever you decide to do.

I haven't done a Camel ride since I went to Tunisia years ago, I'm not sure I'm up to that anymore, the mind is willing but the body might have other ideas lol

I'm hoping there is a shuttle bus to the beach area and think that's what we will do as it looks nice