Booking a group cruise

srp1419

Hi! I was wondering how does booking a group cruise work?

We were thinking about doing a cruise wedding on Carnival, and I was wondering if I do it as a "group" cruise, does everyone have to book at the same time? Or do I have to pay a deposit upfront for a certain amount of rooms and then my guests have a certain amount of time to book? Or...?

If someone could please explain how this work to me it would be great! Thank you!!

Everyone doesn't have to book at the same time, however there is a limited window of time for them to book. You don't put a deposit down though.

I didn't bother with a group booking because I needed to book my room before the wedding and I'm giving my guests plenty of time to consider it. I didn't want to feel like I had to put any pressure on my guests to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone doesn't have to book at the same time, however there is a limited window of time for them to book. You don't put a deposit down though.

I didn't bother with a group booking because I needed to book my room before the wedding and I'm giving my guests plenty of time to consider it. I didn't want to feel like I had to put any pressure on my guests to book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for responding!!

You mentioned that you didn't do a group cruise because you needed to book your room before the wedding.

Does that mean when you do a group booking you don't book your room right away as the organizer ?

Hello,

I am currently going through this process. So the good perk about group booking are the free goodies they give such as cocktail party and etc. Also every time someone books you will be notified by email and you are able to keep track that way. And how much a person owes if the only did a deposit. Your cabin can be book as part of the group.

You can book the time your guest eats dinner if you want to have dinner at same time. The only thing about group is they give you a time frame to have cabins booked. Your cabins can be reserved at no cost but up to a certain date. Once that date hit, all the cabins that are not booked (physical with money) comes off. You cannot add cabins back on but your guest can still call with the group booking number and be added to your group with their cabin.

My cabins fell off last night. I called to place cabins back on reserved and was told I couldn't, it was a one time deal. So I went off bc it was explained as something I was able to do. The guy was nice his supervisor said ok it's your wedding and we understand. He reserved cabins and extended it for a longer period of time then I was had prior. I got 3 free perks. It's based on the amount of rooms you reserve.

Hope that helps.

Hollyme: thanks for the great detailed information!!

One follow up question: when they held rooms waiting for your guests to book as part of the group, did you have to choose the cabins you thought your guest may want? Ex. Asking them to reserve a certain amount of insides/balcony/ etc? Or any and all room options were avaible for your guests to book within the group booking time frame?

You are able to reserve any amount of Each.

For example 6 Balconies, 8 Oceanviews, 8 Interiors.

They will ask you how many of each stateroom you would like to reserve; don't be shy reserve the amount you want of each room type. Just make sure you count your room as one of this rooms: if you are booking a Balcony then reserve 7 balcony staterooms.

Edited by Hollyme

The great thing about booking a group is the tour conductor credit. You will receive one free berth for every 8 cabins that are booked under your group. This is typically in the form of a rebate type check paid after the cruise so you pay up front but would receive a check about 3-4 weeks. The amount is determined by the average cost of the cruise fare excluding taxes. If you have 16 cabins, it would be two berths.

The convenience for your guest is that when setting up a group your guest can hold cabin space for just 25pp based on double occupancy which is fully refundable as long as they meet their payment guidelines. You are typically given 60 days in which to gather the 25pp deposits (guest can call this in themselves), if you need an extension that can be requested one time. Its really a great incentive to get people to go ahead and commit to the cruise.

As far as group perks that varies by ship and sailing date. Your guest may be entitled to onboard credits, cocktail party, champagne and chocolates, etc. Cruises are assigned fun points which can be exchanged for these perks and customized for your particular group. Some cruises offer more points than others. Peak dates in summer, christmas, new years, sometimes do not offer any fun points at all.

I work with large groups multiple times a year. If you have any questions feel free to ask or if you are curious as to the group perks on any particular date and ship I can check it out for you.

What you stated is accurate. However, the 25 deposit pp To secure a cabin (if I read that correctly) is only true when it comes to a travel agent. If she calls herself and creates the group the deposit is based on the current special they are running ($50 or $100).

It sounds like you are a travel agent. What you stated is what my travel agent told me but I did not go with her because Carnival kept changing things (fees and etc.) every time she called them.

I called myself and did my own booking directly with Carnival. I got a better deal with my perks than what the travel agent. I'm assuming it's because they don't have to pay me like they would a travel agent.

Travel agent or no agent, it's better to do a group booking!

• 3 weeks later...
What you stated is accurate. However, the 25 deposit pp To secure a cabin (if I read that correctly) is only true when it comes to a travel agent. If she calls herself and creates the group the deposit is based on the current special they are running ($50 or $100).

It sounds like you are a travel agent. What you stated is what my travel agent told me but I did not go with her because Carnival kept changing things (fees and etc.) every time she called them.

I called myself and did my own booking directly with Carnival. I got a better deal with my perks than what the travel agent. I'm assuming it's because they don't have to pay me like they would a travel agent.

Travel agent or no agent, it's better to do a group booking!

If the travel agent is not offering the same or better offer than going thru Carnival, you need a new agent. All pricing and promos Carnival offers is available with TA as well but most TA will try to get you a few extra perks to go through them which actually would come out of their commissions.