Most Helpful Cruise Lines For Disabled

tidalwave500

I would like to hear about the cruise lines that you felt were most helpful! The ones that took disabled passengers needs seriously,going above the call of duty. I am new to cruising...my 2 cruises with NCL left a lot to be desired. Nothing like booking a cruise that is listed as all docking ports,only to find that 2 out of 3 ports changed into tendering ports.

Also do you need to book directly with the cruise lines to get the disabled cabins?

Many Thanks! Monique

We try to stay away from tender ports because they always tell us that there will be NO tendering for wheelchairs and scooters.

My husband's scooter is very light so we usually get to tender but they could deny us anyway.

You can book on the website for Princess Cruise Line but I don't think you can book on-line the others. You certainly can book yourself by calling the cruise line.

I have found the newer ships have the best features. We primarily cruise celebrity have their S class ships. For that reason. We book through a big box travel agency. We simply book a room that is for handicapped. Celebrity then asked that you send in a very short form. It simply asks if you'll be bringing a scooter or wheelchair what type battery if you need a raise seat or shower stool if you can handle steps. There are some sites that will let you know if it's a tender Port or not. We traveled the carribean enough to know which ones to avoid. Also if there's only one port with tender it's great to enjoy a near empty ship.

I would like to hear about the cruise lines that you felt were most helpful! The ones that took disabled passengers needs seriously,going above the call of duty. I am new to cruising...my 2 cruises with NCL left a lot to be desired. Nothing like booking a cruise that is listed as all docking ports,only to find that 2 out of 3 ports changed into tendering ports.

Also do you need to book directly with the cruise lines to get the disabled cabins?

Many Thanks! Monique

Everyone's needs and expectations are different so not certain what needs you expect the cruise line to take seriously other than to provide assistance with embarkation, disembarkation and getting on/off at ports of calls. If you get assistance over an above that than consider it a plus.

All cruise lines make it very clear in its contact as well as website that the person must be fit to travel and bring the necessary assistance, whether it be mobility equipment and or a personal assistant, with them for anything needed during the cruise. Even with that said it's hard to say which cruise lines are most helpful to disabled passengers as much actually depends on the behavior of the staff. Being that crew is constantly changing you could have a good experience on a particular ship with staff going above and beyond ,than return a year later on that same ship only for it to be a less desirable experience.

The passenger contract states that the Cruise Line can make changes to the itinerary without notice. Therefore what may have been scheduled to be a docked port can turn into being a tendered port as late as the morning of that port of call. There's no way to know that and it's just one of the things that you have to expect when cruising regardless of having a disability or not.

Regarding accessible cabins it doesn't make a difference if you book direct through the cruise line or with a TA.

When choosing a cruise line and ship the following are the things I consider :

• In theory the newer the ship the more accessible the public areas .
  • Cost of getting to/from port of embarkation and disembarkation via air.
  • Whether or not the city of embarkation and disembarkation has wheelchair accessible transportation to/from the port .
  • Try to avoid itineraries that have more than one tendered port. Even with one tendered port I research to find out if the tender has roll on capabilities or not. Some Ports provide the cruise lines with tendered that have roll-on capabilities . If the ship is using it's own tenders than the it will not have roll-on capabilities. For example : Port of Grand Cayman provides RCCL with a roll-on tender.Most cruise line private islands have a roll-on tenders permanently docked on the island so that the cruise line does not have to use it's life boats as tenders.
  • Knowing that the itinerary can change at a moments notice and a docked port can become a tendered port, I select a ship that actually offers features of interest that are more appealing if have to remain on the ship during a port of call. In essence the ship becomes my primary destination with the ports of call be the secondary reason for booking.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The only line we've had experience with for accessible cabins as been RCCL. We made the mistake on our first HAL of assuming the wheelchair (jr. size) would at least fit through the door and DW could "wall walk" the cabin. Nope.

On RCCL one of the nicest features of accessible cabins has been the power door opener. No way can my basically one-handed wife grab the door AND roll backwards pulling it open - to roll she needs her hand on the wheel grip. I suspect most lines are pretty similar in features now.

Beyond physical features is staff service. We found both RCCL and HAL very accommodating but HAL was far better with assisting in the buffet area. Actually probably better yet now with the new "they load the plate" mode for Noro control. Of those two I would give the nod to HAL even though our experience is 15 years old.

Like others have stated, the newer ships are the best. Holland America has roll on tenders on almost all their ships. On an overall basis, both Holland America and Celebrity seem to be a tad bit more concerned about us. Regardless, as far as service, I cannot complain about any line. Carnival's cabins leave a lot to be desired. Too many are modified thus only adequate space in the bathroom; at least in my opinion.

We did experience a treat with Royal Caribbean last spring. They allowed us to escape muster before everyone else so that we could get an elevator. Future cruises, I will ask at every muster.

As long as you book early, you can usually get a reasonable choice of cabin. Since I'm a budget traveler, I usually ask for the least expensive one. However if there is a great sale on a prize cabin (within the budget), we will grab it.

When it comes to docking or tendering at a port with both, the cruise line does not have any choice, they do what ever the Port Authority assigns. I have found that many of the European ports assign docking way in advance. There are a few places one can obtain advance info in the Caribbean. Cozumel post theirs around three weeks before arrival. Key West post theirs upon receipt of request from the cruise line.

Have a wonderful cruise.

only cruising experience is Dawn Princess...some difficulties owing mainly I think to her being an older ship (especially when I compare my experiences to descriptions others have given of theirs with newer ships on other lines) but for staff assistance I could not fault Princess if I tried. I was in a standard cabin - had some difficulty getting in and out the door (as meant folding my chair, wedging a stop under the door and holding onto someone or using my chair as a walker for the few steps to get in and out of the cabin). If he was cleaning, our steward took to looking out for me, and insisted more than once on helping me, despite my protestations.

No problem for me tendering, and we had several on our cruise. I'm sure it would have been different had we had problematic tides or weather, but the assistance staff lifted my chair on and off the tender with no problem, and two of them would give me a shoulder to step across (I'm a wheelie who can walk a few steps supported or with crutches). One port the wharf went directly onto the beach - path/grass was a lot further up - again was no problem...one of the assistance guys carried my chair up to where it would roll without sinking (is a lightweight chair, obviously would be no go for a heavy chair or scooter) and my brother helped carry me.

MDR staff also very good...HWs and our table waiters were both fantastic about making sure I'd a clear run to the table. Didn't really use the buffet...when we did, staff offered several times to push my chair and/or get food for me...refused, because I can do it myself and they're plenty busy enough, but no shortage of friendly help - and it was friendly, not just a perfunctory smile

We have had only good experiences with Holland America's roll on tenders. They have an elevator to the tender platform and then roll straight on to the tender. Worth bearing in mind that sea conditions and shoreside facilities can make it difficult or even impossible from time to time but in 30 or so cruises we've only had a problem twice, and both times it was beyond the control of the cruise line. RCCL also have this facility (don't know if it's all of their ships). Every cruise line we've been on has generally good accessibility on board.

Edited by Picton

We have had only good experiences with Holland America's roll on tenders. They have an elevator to the tender platform and then roll straight on to the tender. Worth bearing in mind that sea conditions and shoreside facilities can make it difficult or even impossible from time to time but in 30 or so cruises we've only had a problem twice, and both times it was beyond the control of the cruise line. RCCL also have this facility (don't know if it's all of their ships). Every cruise line we've been on has generally good accessibility on board.

It's important for OP and anyone reading this thread that though HAL claims to have one roll-on tender on their each of its ships with the exception of the Prisendamm these tendors are not always used. In fact every ship that I have been on since requiring the use of a mobility the HAL roll-on tender was not in operation resulting in anyone ausing a wheelchair or scooter having been prohibted from leaving the ship.

Contrary to what the above poster has stated RCCL does not have any roll-on tenders on any ships in its fleet whether it be Celebrity Cruise Lines and or Royal Carribean Cruise lines with exception of the tenders that RCCL permanently docks at Coco Cay or the roll-on tender provided by the Grand Cayman Port Authority when RCCl ships port there.

Edited by xxoocruiser

It's important for OP and anyone reading this thread that though HAL claims to have one roll-on tender on their each of its ships with the exception of the Prisendamm these tendors are not always used. In fact every ship that I have been on since requiring the use of a mobility the HAL roll-on tender was not in operation resulting in anyone ausing a wheelchair or scooter having been prohibted from leaving the ship.

Worth bearing in mind, but we've roll-on tendered from four HAL ships without problems. The only time we couldn't was earlier this year in the South Pacific and only because the landslide jetty was unsafe for wheelchairs. The other tender stops, and there were a few in the islands, were fine. Shows how experiences vary I suppose.

Contrary to what the above poster has stated RCCL does not have any roll-on tenders on any ships in its fleet whether it be Celebrity Cruise Lines and or Royal Carribean Cruise lines with exception of the tenders that RCCL permanently docks at Coco Cay or the roll-on tender provided by the Grand Cayman Port Authority when RCCl ships port there.

We were on the Radiance of the Seas and it certainly had a roll on tender.

Edited by Picton

Many Thanks! Monique

I've only used my scooter on the Carnival Pride. Each time we've booked a standard balcony cabin since I don't yet need a modified or handicapped cabin. My scooter fits in the standard balcony cabin very nicely. I've never had a problem with the elevators, because we always choose Aft cabins where there aren't crowds using the elevators. If they're busy, I just wait. I'm on vacation so I'm not in a big hurry. We always choose Traditional Dining (late), so when we board DH visits the MDR to see where we'll be sitting, and if it's not a great spot (I drive the scooter to the MDR), the Maitre'd always finds a better spot...no problem. I drive to the table, the waiter parks the scooter and after dinner the waiter brings the scooter back. They have always been very, very helpful all over the ship. That's been my experience on the Carnival Pride.

I can't speak to ports. We've only gotten off the ship in Nassau a few times, and one of the crew walked my scooter off of the ship, and I used my walker to get down to the scooter. We didn't do any excursions. Just scooted around the port.

Edited by fair-winds39
adding more info

My only experience was on RCL Oasis of the Seas, a new and HUGE ship (over 6000 guests). Everything was completely accessible although I occasionally had to go a different route to avoid steps, except for one little-known forward viewing area that required a few steps to access, and their very tip-top deck which had nothing I particularly wanted to see anyway. The tip-top deck not being accessible by wheelchair was plainly stated on the website. My accessible cabin had room for both my rented scooter and my rented recliner and we were still able to get to the door and the balcony. However, it did NOT have an automatic door, and I am skeptical of an earlier comment that most ships now have them. Ask, ask, ask. The staff bent over backwards, not only to meet my requests, but to anticipate how they could make the cruise easier and more pleasant for me. As soon as we entered the embarkation area, we were waved to a special accessible line where we waited like 30 seconds before starting registration. Several cruise employes offered to wheel me up the ramp to the ship; macho-man DH said he could do it and boy, was he sorry before we reached the ship entrance. lol The waiters in the MDR whisked my scooter away once I sat down and whisked it back when I was ready to leave. At the buffets, someone was offering to get food for me every 2 minutes. We attended several shows and I had to stay on the scooter because I couldn't have fit into the narrow seats, but the wheelchair area was ample for the people using it and had a great view (just not very close).

I went through a TA for that cruise and regretted it, as the TA was not very accessible once I had paid for the cruise and certainly didn't get me any bennies. For our upcoming cruise on NCL, I studied the deck plans and bennies on NCL's website and then called to make the reservation (some lines let you indicate you need an accessible cabin when making a reservation online but NCL isn't one). The NCL agent was knowledgable about my questions about the cruise and suggested which bennies to select (and had good reasons for them). Obviously I don't know how their service is yet but I've had to call the accessible dept already with some questions and they were friendly and helpful.

Remember that although cruise ship jobs may not look great to us, I have read that most of the service employees are from third world countries and are delighted to have what to them are good-paying jobs and want to keep them. So they are motivated to provide good service. That was certainly true on my one cruise. Plus that old adage about catching more flies with honey than vinegar is still good advice, and when I had to ask for something, I always asked politely, with a smile and a "please." Never had a problem. (Well, except for when I tried to get a late disembarkation, but we did stay in the cabin until they politely threw us off about 10.)

Edited by mamasylvia

We were on the Radiance of the Seas and it certainly had a roll on tender.

Have been the Radiance of the Seas and not one of it's life boats that are used as tenders has roll-on capabilies. Don't doubt that you may have board a tender with roll-on capabilities it had to have been provided by that the local port authority as non of the Radiance life boats used as tenders has roll-on capabilites. Not even any of the new ships and you can verifiy this with RCCL directly.

I have cruised on NCL & RCCL and have had no problems

I am a full time wheelchair user and cannot walk at all

You need to know where you are going and what can happen at any port

Some people state that they have no problems tendering. That might be true, but some people can walk a few steps or are a very light person who can be carried. I am a big guy and no one is lifting me (or will I let them) and there idea of a handicapped accessible excursion means walking up a few steps to get on a bus, do not get the picture. Also if you do tender there could be a chance that the seas can get rougher and you might not be able to get back on the ship. A scary feeling for someone bound to a wheelchair. Do your research, know your limits and have fun

> You need to know where you are going and what can happen at any port

That is SO important. Research, research, research. I spent a lot of time on the CC site before our first cruise, getting advice and suggestions from other travellers, and I cannot overstate what a difference that made, both to our being prepared and for the peace of mind that we did know what to expect. I already have a ton of suggestions from here to follow up on to prepare for our Alaska cruise next spring. (Not that I am rejecting any more!)

I was very impressed with Allen Marine's website because rather than just saying a particular tour was accessible or not accessible, they spell out exactly what the person needs to be able to do. That made it so easy for me to rule potential tours in or out based on my own limitations. Wish more tour sites would do that! http://allenmarinetours.com/juneau/

Also don't take the word of whoever you read first (even me lol). I have been wanting to do the White Pass railway tour for years, and now that we are finally going to Alaska, it was on my "must do" list. So you can imagine my disappointment when I read on the tour description that it wasn't accessible. But later I saw some comments on here that it was. So I called the railway and asked, and discovered that if I wait until NCL *finally* lists it on their site (they haven't yet for our May 2017 sailing and may not until next year), the train comes to very close to the ship and I can make sure there is a lift-equipped car on it. Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I have been on the white Pass railway tour. Your latest information is correct. I basically rolled off the ship short way to the railway station. There is a car with a lift on it. Once in that car there are seats for people that are traveling with you. It was a nice trip.

I would like to hear about the cruise lines that you felt were most helpful! The ones that took disabled passengers needs seriously,going above the call of duty.

Many Thanks! Monique

We have cruised the major carriers as you can see in our signature and by far Celebrity has been the most helpful. I have used a scooter for years and, to me, you can't beat Celebrity. As far as tendering, I have taken my scooter with me at every port that I wanted to go ashore except, on one occurrence, it was so windy that boarding the tender with a scooter would have been too dangerous.

Tom

We have just come back from cruising with Cruise and Maritime ship the Magellan. We had a wheelchair accessible cabin for my husband who although not a full time user is unable to walk far. Since this is a smaller and older ship, the corridors were wider than on newer ships and much easier to get around being smaller in size. We booked through a travel agent who contacted Cruise and Maritime directly to discuss our needs. Being a smaller ship by todays standards (1250 passengers) there were very little tendering needed as it was able to dock diretly and just a short walk/scoot off the ship onto the port. Plenty of staff available to help and offer assistance. We did not have long to wait for lifts and majority of people were respectful of our need to use the lift and often allowed us to use the lift first whilst they waited. Im not sure you would have the same amout of consideration from other passengers on bigger ships if there is a must-see show/port/ breakfast etc. Having sailed on a ship with 3000 passengers I know which I prefer. For service and support for a disabled traveller we were delighted with our choice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

I'm not convinced the smaller/older ships have a corner on the market of wide corridors. My first cruise was on Oasis of the Seas, which I think would be considered a HUGE ship by any standards! (over 6000 passengers) The corridor along our accessible balcony stateroom was wide enough for me on a not-especially-small scooter to pass the room stewards' carts and other passengers easily. It was also easy on my 3-wheel scooter to turn into the stateroom, nor did my husband have any difficulty pushing me in/out on the rare occasions I didn't use the scooter. I also had no trouble getting from our cabin to dining rooms, restaurants, various venues, etc.

I'm not saying all large ships have that room, I haven't been on enough to generalize. I'm just saying each ship (or possibly each class of ship) has its own plusses and minuses.