Good News and Bad News

Great so what are you planning?

Nothing planned yet. Hubby is trying to persuade me to go on a cruise alone but I feel that I can't leave him. May have a few nights together somewhere in mainland Europe where our EHIC card is valid.

Good News - Returned from a fabulous week on Majesty yesterday; without doubt the best of the 8 Thomson cruises we have done.

Bad news - Our travel insurance is due for renewal and our current insurer (StaySure) have refused to cover Hubby in future as his medical conditions have recently deteriorated and no longer fit in their new 'pre-existing conditions criteria'. Have spent all morning trying all other options with no success so he is now officially classed as uninsurable. Under the circumstances we have had no option but to cancel our CMV cruise booked for July next year (for his 70th birthday and out 30th Anniversary) as we cannot risk being in the remote Scottish islands with no insurance if he suddenly becomes ill.

Feeling rather sad.

Have you tried Freedom Insurance 012234 54290

My husbands pre existing conditions are now covered through our bank as he has been better for their stipulated time. However before that he was insured through Freedom. They are not cheap but my husband took ill in America several years ago and they were Amazing. I wish you all the best.

Have you tried Global Travel? http://www.globaltravelinsurance.co.uk

They work on a completely difference basis and operate by loading the excess charge considerably for those with pre existing conditions and the cover includes world wide cruising. There is a basic charge (not too bad) and then one only pays the excess for pre existing conditions IF a claim is made.

Thank you for all the valuable help you have given on this site and do hope that you mange to continue cruising.

It must be somewhat demoralising to be declined each and every time - I have not looked in to the insurance provided by the cruise operator itself but you may have - do you have to be from the UK for this insurance ? The reason I ask is that you can book from abroad with Thomson as you know and one of the conditions is you have insurance so you could do an enquiry and see what they say ( if you have not done so already ).

Hope something positive happens for you.

Good News - Returned from a fabulous week on Majesty yesterday; without doubt the best of the 8 Thomson cruises we have done.

Bad news - Our travel insurance is due for renewal and our current insurer (StaySure) have refused to cover Hubby in future as his medical conditions have recently deteriorated and no longer fit in their new 'pre-existing conditions criteria'. Have spent all morning trying all other options with no success so he is now officially classed as uninsurable. Under the circumstances we have had no option but to cancel our CMV cruise booked for July next year (for his 70th birthday and out 30th Anniversary) as we cannot risk being in the remote Scottish islands with no insurance if he suddenly becomes ill.

Feeling rather sad.

Campolady, wouldn't your EHIC card cover you in Scotland?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Have you tried Global Travel? www.globaltravelinsurance.co.uk

They work on a completely difference basis and operate by loading the excess charge considerably for those with pre existing conditions and the cover includes world wide cruising. There is a basic charge (not too bad) and then one only pays the excess for pre existing conditions IF a claim is made.

Thank you for all the valuable help you have given on this site and do hope that you mange to continue cruising.

Just been checking them out, looks pretty good if you have existing BUT STABLE conditions (must be over 12 months old), ok the excess is £2000 if you are over 60 and on a cruise (£1000 non cruise) but the base price is about £800 less than our present policy just for annual european

Campolady, wouldn't your EHIC card cover you in Scotland?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes - but it wouldn't have covered us for on board medical care or transfer from ship to land if Ian became ill on board. We just couldn't risk the cruise with no private insurance.

Anyway, the cruise is cancelled and we now have to look for a different way of celebrating Ians 70th birthday and our 30th Anniversary next July.

Thanks again to everyone for all your input.

There was a report on BBC south east news about a man who had a stroke in the Canaries. He had an EHIC card and that covered him for the hospital care but won't cover him for the rehabilitation or for flying him back to the UK. That will cost £30,000 which the family don't have.

In the Scottish Highlands he would be covered by the NHS So I dont see you having a problem

It wouldn't cover him if he became ill at sea and had to have on board medical care or be flown to the mainland.

Just not worth the risk.

There was a report on BBC south east news about a man who had a stroke in the Canaries. He had an EHIC card and that covered him for the hospital care but won't cover him for the rehabilitation or for flying him back to the UK. That will cost £30,000 which the family don't have.

Exactly!