Virgin Gorda - w/tour or on our own?

mlbcruiser

I am wondering whether we should just get a ferry to Virgin Gorda to the Baths ourselves or go w/our ship's tour. Generally, we don't book many ship's tours but prefer arranging things independently. We've done Trunk Bay both ways, but from reading some other posts, I don't have the impression that ferry service to Virgin Gorda from Tortola is nearly as frequent as between St. Thos. and St. John. The big issue, of course, is making it back to our ship in time. For those of you who have been there, opinions and tips, please! Thanks a bunch for any replies. :)

It is very easy to get to Virgin Gorda on your own. You can walk over to the ferry terminal from the ship's port (10-15 min walk). There are two ferry services that go over (Speedy's and Smith's). Check their schedules and pick the one most to your liking. Ferry is about 30 minutes but a it is 'tour' of the island itself! You take a taxi ride from the dock to the Baths and then tour it yourself. It is beautiful.. the formations are out of this world.... and the snorkelling is some of the best I have ever seen. You won't regret it one bit.

lesliew, when you took the ferry, was it very crowded? Does one co. run any more frequently than the other? Would there be any reason to think that w/our very large ship offering a tour (that also uses a ferry) they might be chartered, leaving us w/out a way to VG? I don't have a website address for either of the ferry companies. Better do a search, I guess. Thanks for your help.

we will have from 9:00am until 6:00pm in tortola, we would love to go to the baths at virgin gorda. has anyone done this on their own in this time frame. I just worry about getting off the boat arranging the tour and making it back by 4:00 or so to be sure not to miss our 6:00pm sailing. any comments? thanks!!

My wife and I are arriving in Torotola on Dec 5th. Only a short stay and I am worried that if I try to do the Baths on my own, it may be to close for time.

We are there from 7:00M until 1:00PM only. I could book via NCL for $49/person and have piece of mind or do it on my own likely for cheaper but take a risk?

Any advice??

Thanks,

Ross:)

NCL Spirit Nov 27TH

Even though I've never been and am the one who started this thread w/my question, if I were you, and it was my first time, I think I'd stay w/my ship's tour. 1 p.m. is an awfully early leaving time. (WHY do they DO that!?! :mad: ) Based on what prices I've seen on these threads, you would be saving a bit but not a ton of $. For the peace of mind, it might be worth it. Having to travel in a huge group of people is the worst of that issue, though. Good luck and I hope you get the Baths in!

brodiegib, I don't know if it's even worth going if you actually depart at 1:00 pm.

Assuming you actually dock at 7am and get off the ship by 8am, you potentially could be at Virgin Gorda by 9:30am on a charter. You would need to leave The Baths at Virgin Gorda by 11:00 am to get back on the ship by 12:30pm.

Keep in mind that it's a 35 minute ferry each way, plus 15 minute taxi from the dock to The Baths each way. And that all assumes you aren't waiting for either --- which you will.

Ideally, you want to be at Virgin Gorda for 3 hours or more. (We were there for about 2 hours and felt that we could have spent the day there).

Check with NCL and see if you can get timing details for this excursion before you sign up.

Yeah, but if the ride over there is pretty and someone even gets to SEE the Baths to some extent over NO extent, wouldn't that be something instead of nothing? I know I REALLY enjoy the ferry ride between St. Thos. and St. John and am so dying to visit the Baths, I wouldn't be able to stay away!

mlbcruiser...

Yes, the ferry ride from Tortola to Virgin Gorda is great! Agreed. Definately sit up top.

kathylee...

I posted this link once, but in case you didn't see it:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/easterncaribbean.html

Scroll down to Tortola port of call. It'll give you all the info you need.

Otherwise just ask!

• 4 weeks later...

I would definitely recommend doing the Baths on your own. Smiths and Speedy's both have ferries that go there but we did Speedys and loved the fact that there was a package which included taxi and lunch. See my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=260574 for more details about that. The key for you if you are there for a very limited time is to check the ferry schedule (available online ahead of time if you want). You may end up taking one company there and another company back. It will cost you $5 more but could be important if time is the issue. There is no other good reason IMHO to take the ship's tour since it would be awfully hard to get lost between the ship, the ferry terminal, Virgin Gorda terminal and the Baths.

Archived