Tipping Wine Steward Question?

joeb49

Going on the Miracle in a few weeks! I know because I have my Documents in my hand!!! Makes it all seem real!

Have been on a few cruises before but there is a first for everything! This trip we would like to order a bottle(or 2) of wine to have with dinner.

My question is... when and how much do you tip the wine steward?? Don't want to seem like the country bumpkin. All of the cruise critic friends are always "in the know"!!

And advice about how to procede would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sue and Joe

On my last few cruises, my waiter had a wine list, and I ordered a bottle several evenings. The waiter brought it to the table and 'did the honors'.

I didn't even see the wine steward. Maybe he only comes around if you order a really, really expensive bottle? I would venture a guess that $5 would be enough tip if the wine steward serves you.

You should realize that if you buy the bottle of wine at dinner, there will be an automatic 15% gratuity added to the bill. It is perfectly fine to tip over that amount, but not required.

If you take a bottle to dinner, one you have carried onto the ship, there is usually a corkage fee, around $12 - $15 per bottle.

Our wine steward on Millennium was excellent. He noted my selections during the beginning of our cruise, and made suggestions thereafter. I tried some new varieties that I never would have considered previously, and now continue to enjoy, because of his knowledge and expertise. It should be noted that I lean toward the "lower end" of the wine menu, but his service was just as courteous as if I were ordering "special" wine. He was discretely tipped twice what was mentioned above during dinner on the last evening, with sincere thanks for his exceptional service.

A previous wine steward was not tipped over the traditional 15% because she simply did not deserve it. Let your own experience be your guide.

quote=Happy ks]You should realize that if you buy the bottle of wine at dinner, there will be an automatic 15% gratuity added to the bill. It is perfectly fine to tip over that amount, but not required.

On my last few cruises on Carnival, I've ordered a bottle of wine several evenings at dinner, and there has been NO 15% auto tip on my S&S account. There's a particular wine I always order, and it's $26 per bottle on the wine list. My S&S account reflects the $26 - nothing more. Believe me, I check and double check all entries on my account.

If you take a bottle to dinner, one you have carried onto the ship, there is usually a corkage fee, around $12 - $15 per bottle.[/quote

I often take a bottle of wine to the dining room during a cruise, and the corkage fee on Carnival is publicized as being $10 - however, I've never been charged a corkage fee on any cruise. I believe it's at the discretion of your waiter whether you're charged the $10 or not.

quote=Happy ks]You should realize that if you buy the bottle of wine at dinner, there will be an automatic 15% gratuity added to the bill. It is perfectly fine to tip over that amount, but not required.

On my last few cruises on Carnival, I've ordered a bottle of wine several evenings at dinner, and there has been NO 15% auto tip on my S&S account. There's a particular wine I always order, and it's $26 per bottle on the wine list. My S&S account reflects the $26 - nothing more. Believe me, I check and double check all entries on my account.

If you take a bottle to dinner, one you have carried onto the ship, there is usually a corkage fee, around $12 - $15 per bottle.[/quote

I often take a bottle of wine to the dining room during a cruise, and the corkage fee on Carnival is publicized as being $10 - however, I've never been charged a corkage fee on any cruise. I believe it's at the discretion of your waiter whether you're charged the $10 or not.

On CCL in May, I was charged 15% service charge for bottles of wine at dinner each evening in both the dining room and at the wine bar.

On my recent X cruise, I was charged the corkage fee each time (3 nights I brought my own bottles). On RCI, it was random.

Archived