Passports refused

stev5138

I don't understand why a man was refused a cruise to Alaska, because he didn't have a passport. Why would he need one to go to Alaska? That's the U.S.

At the Skagway port, if and you have an excursion booked into Canada, you HAVE to posses a current USA passport. All passports are checked at the Canadian border. The same also applies if you want to get off the ship in Victoria, BC.

When we flew into the Bahamas for our stay at Atlantis one of our passports expired in less than 6 months. Customs told us it was not an issue in the Bahamas but if we were flying to another island, I think he said Aruba, we would not be able to enter.

This was the first time we heard about the 6 month rule.

Renewing is easy and doesn't require an appointment. The entire application can be filled out online, printed, and mailed in with a photo and your old passport. There are even apps for taking passport pictures that you can save and print for a few cents at Walmart, etc. Just letting you know so that it doesn't seem like such a daunting task (I was dreading it)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's for adults. If you're doing a passport for kids you need to make an appointment and BOTH parents need to be present. (I think you can get a notarized letter if there's only one parent available to go).

I hate to give up my passport for renewal before I get the new one. Have anyone of you had them lose your original and not get your new one. My worry is I travel constantly and will have a small window of 3 weeks this winter to get a new one. I will do all the expediting but i sure hope they don't lose track of the books before they process them for new ones. I will need to do it then as my Panama Cruise in Feb is right at the 6 month point and don't want to take any chances.

We went to Walmart for our pictures.. only $7.00

Downloaded our renewal application and went to the post office.

Each passport must have their own check/m.o the clerk was so nice put every one's passport (DH&DS and myself) in one express envelope.

We got them back with in 2 weeks...

Easy peasy...

But if you don't have a passport and using your birth certificate and driver's license ladies make sure you have your wedding certificate. A friend almost did not get on the ship cause her license did not match the birth certificate..

I hate to give up my passport for renewal before I get the new one. Have anyone of you had them lose your original and not get your new one. My worry is I travel constantly and will have a small window of 3 weeks this winter to get a new one. I will do all the expediting but i sure hope they don't lose track of the books before they process them for new ones. I will need to do it then as my Panama Cruise in Feb is right at the 6 month point and don't want to take any chances.

I renewed my passport and my son's in the last year. Both times I received the original passport back about a week after the new one arrived-it had a hole punched in it, making it invalid (original passport had not expired yet). If you are worried about time, I would pay to expedite it or go to a passport office and pay for same-day service.

One thing to consider is "if" you get left behind by the ship or have to fly home from any of the ports. I know we went on a "closed loop" cruise to Panama Canal on Holland. We check with the Holland lady we booked through. My husband's passport would expire 2 months after we got back. We check with each port of call. One port wanted your passport to expire 6 months after your visit. Needless to say we had to rush his passport to get it back before we left. Mine was expiring also, but right after the 6 month limit.

You need to check each port you will be at.

No blanket rule here. Carnival will respond according to the requirements of the countries included in the itinerary.

Carnival has precious few itineraries that even require a passport for a US citizen.

Not all Carnival passengers are US Citizens and not all cruises are "closed loop Caribbean" . I would never chance traveling on a passport that expires within 6 months- you can be refused. It is not just about the cruise line, but also where you fly in/out of. As I have only cruised the Mediterranean, it will be huge deal. Bite the bullet and get it renewed.

At the Skagway port' date=' if and you have an excursion booked into Canada, you HAVE to posses a current USA passport. All passports are checked at the Canadian border. The same also applies if you want to get off the ship in Victoria, BC.[/quote']

Didn't think of that excursion into Canada. Thanks for answering that for me.:)