If you've eaten at Portofino and Chops...

We've eaten at both and we both much prefer Portifino's. Chops cooked the steaks on to hot of a grill. We both like our steaks rare to medium rare. They were burnt on the outside and the first layer was well done. This is not how we like our steaks.

Oddly enough, when we ate at Portifino's we both had the filet again and it was wonderful. Who would've thought we'd prefer a steak in an Italian restaurant rather than a steak house.

Portofino's was not that great. We tried it on the "Empress" and was not impressed at all. Service was just okay. Our waiter kinda rushed us through our whole meal and it was not even crowded. Was dissapointed seeing we paid the extra. We would love to try Chops next.

Portofino's was not that great. We tried it on the "Empress" and was not impressed at all. Service was just okay. Our waiter kinda rushed us through our whole meal and it was not even crowded. Was dissapointed seeing we paid the extra. We would love to try Chops next.

Hey Caroline,

If you want to take a look at both the menus, they are posted on our photoshare website at:

www.theloves.smugmug.com

Go to "Navigator Menus" they are posted there.

We haven't ever been to either... we keep saying we are going to go and then we have so much fun with our waiters in the dining room we don't ever get there! :D Maybe one of these trips!

elleluv

Portofino's was pretty good but Chops was excellent.The service was impeccable and the food was excellent.I had the best filet I've ever tasted.Try the Mississippi Mud Pie for dessert.They were both open for lunch one day of our cruise.Maybe you could use your free dinner at Chops and try Portofino's for lunch.It's only $10.00 for the lunch.I don't think you'll go wrong whatever your choose.

We've eaten at both and we both much prefer Portifino's. Chops cooked the steaks on to hot of a grill. We both like our steaks rare to medium rare. They were burnt on the outside and the first layer was well done. This is not how we like our steaks.

Oddly enough, when we ate at Portifino's we both had the filet again and it was wonderful. Who would've thought we'd prefer a steak in an Italian restaurant rather than a steak house.

Doug, we too like our steaks medium rare, and our experience was reversed, go figure ;) Our steaks in Chops were FANTASTIC, however they were over cooked in Portofinos. Perhaps we need to include our ships LOL! We were on The Navigator. :)

We were also able to order items only offered in Portofino's while dining in Chops with no problem! They gave us a hard time doing the reverse in Portofino's. They did finally get us what we wanted, however it took about 30 minutes.

###

We have eaten at Chops twice on the Mariner and it was excellent both times. We go on Caribbean night (Ocho Rios), and Chops is on the side facing Jamaica so you can see the island go by as you dine.

Our son and his friend went to Portofino and said it was great as well. We may give it a try next time.

My preference was Chops. We went to both on Navigator in 11/03. Service was a notch better in Chops and I am more of a steak person - so that tipped the scales.

Just like any "chain" restaurant, these will vary from ship-to-ship. My wife and I like Macaroni Grill but the one close to our house is awful. The location about 5 miles away is excellent. The acronym I learned on this board recently applies here: YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

The 3 best meals I ever ate in my entire life were all three at Portofino on three separate trips!!! I can't imagine a better meal! We had wonderful service at all three visits. I did order seafood all three times and it was awesome. The best thing there was the Tiramisu! I am not a big fan of Tiramisu, but OH MY GOD was that ever the most decadent dessert I've ever eaten!!!! I've never eaten at Chops, but I'm not a steak lover so that doesn't excite me anyway. I just can't imagine that it would be any better than my experiences at Portofino! I think they are probably both top quality restaurants.

I was on the Mariner, not the Explorer, but we tried both Chops and Portofinos and we much preferred Portofinos.

It really is a matter of what you like best: Italian or Steak.

Chops was excellent as well but our server at Portofinos was "WOW". I wish I could remember his name, it started with a D...like Darko or something like that.

Anybody know if the Majesty of the Seas offers a finer dining option? By the way, on a separate note, the Disney Magic offers Palo's for dinner and a champagne brunch for an additional $10.00 per person. Unbelievable experience and a highlight of the 8 traveling adults in the group! If you get a chance, do it!

Archived