If you've eaten at Portofino and Chops...

Loved Chops! Enjoyed Portofinos.

I might hazard a guess that Chops seems to outweigh Portofinos is that we Americans seem to love to eat meat more than Pasta. We seem to love our steak, potatoes, and all the fixins!:) I really enjoyed both, but you give me the chance to have a good steak......

JMO

Portofino's was pretty good but Chops was excellent.The service was impeccable and the food was excellent.I had the best filet I've ever tasted.Try the Mississippi Mud Pie for dessert.They were both open for lunch one day of our cruise.Maybe you could use your free dinner at Chops and try Portofino's for lunch.It's only $10.00 for the lunch.I don't think you'll go wrong whatever your choose.

Are both Portofino's and Chops open for lunch? Are the lunch menus the same as the dinner offerings... Thanks

Jon

Hey Caroline,

If you want to take a look at both the menus, they are posted on our photoshare website at:

www.theloves.smugmug.com

Go to "Navigator Menus" they are posted there.

We haven't ever been to either... we keep saying we are going to go and then we have so much fun with our waiters in the dining room we don't ever get there! :D Maybe one of these trips!

elleluv

Thanks! I love Sabatini on Princess so the Portofino menu looks very good to me although not as much variety.. CPR doesn't like Italian so that "may" factor into it..... thanks so much for posting those!!:) Maybe I'll have to eat at Portofino on the Freedom in October and "save" Chops for December ...

Where in Alaska are you? Been there 6 times, back in again in '07, shoulda moved there in '90, '95 or '98 when I had a job offer...maybe I'll be the first person in NC to retire there:D

Are both Portofino's and Chops open for lunch? Are the lunch menus the same as the dinner offerings... Thanks

Jon

what I have read and experienced once that yes - only Chops is open on sea day(s) but the menu is different (accounts for why it's cheaper although food is still excellent). Not positive that's on all ships..perhaps someone else has more information.

Happy cruisin'!

Thanks! I love Sabatini on Princess so the Portofino menu looks very good to me although not as much variety.. CPR doesn't like Italian so that "may" factor into it..... thanks so much for posting those!!:) Maybe I'll have to eat at Portofino on the Freedom in October and "save" Chops for December ...

Where in Alaska are you? Been there 6 times, back in again in '07, shoulda moved there in '90, '95 or '98 when I had a job offer...maybe I'll be the first person in NC to retire there:D

You are quite welcome!

DH and I live in North Pole (just outside Fairbanks)... DH just retired from the Air Force after 26 years, he was stationed at Eielson AFB. We've been here since '96.

There is no shortage of jobs up here! Bet you could get another offer in a heartbeat if you really wanted to come now! :p

It's definitely not a place for everyone.... It's about -20 F today and we've had snow on the ground for a solid month +.... Do you wonder why I'm on the cruise boards right now day dreaming about sand in my toes? :rolleyes:

Loved Chops! Enjoyed Portofinos.

I might hazard a guess that Chops seems to outweigh Portofinos is that we Americans seem to love to eat meat more than Pasta. We seem to love our steak, potatoes, and all the fixins!:) I really enjoyed both, but you give me the chance to have a good steak......

JMO

Portofinos is MUCH more than pasta! The haibut is awesome as are the appetizers and soups. It is my favorite restaurant on RCI and I dine there 3x in seven nights. I have not been as impressed with Chops.

And the tiramisu almost makes me splurge and have dessert!

We've eaten in Portofino's on Mariner, Brilliance and Jewel and really enjoyed the experience every time. We ate in Chops on Enchantment because they do not have a Portofinos. That was very enjoyable, too, but we both left feeling we prefered Portofinos.

I really think that those who prefer Italian cuisine might lean toward Portofinos and not just for the menu. The restaurants have a more European flair. Chops, on the other hand, is more like a classic American chop house, both in menu and decor. Both have excellent service. I am vegetarian, but the chef at Chops made me a savory pasta dish especially for me that wasn't on the menu. They do go the extra mile in these alternative restaurants.

Archived