dtw -- FLL

CMU

just booked last night for 2/11 return 2/19 on american airlines. arrival time in DTW not great (especially w/ 3 hr drive from DTW to home) but american airlines is having some great fares. We got for $220 friends got for just a bit more. Connections are through Chicago -- hopefully no snow storms :)

I have been looking for quite some time for flights --- can't believe how much NWA has gone up since bankruptcy. I was beginning to get a bit nervous at what we would pay. Was hoping for direct flights or at least decent connection times, however when I saw the fare I couldn't refuse any longer. I had been watching the time frame of your trip as well to get an idea when to expect my time to drop in price and wasn't seeing much difference.

I also live in Michigan, and have a three hour trip to Detroit. They have a non-stop through Spirit for $239.00 in February - I know not great but alot better than what it was, when I first looked it was at $178.00 in August - should have purchased then.

Hi,

I was getting worried that I would have to drive from Grand Haven, MI to Tampa in Jan with my girls ages 4 & 5....because the flight rates were over 400.00 out of Grand Rapids. The day after NWA went on strike, I decided to check the rates out of GRR again & I ended up getting a non-stop flight from GRR to Tampa for $276.00/pp. I thought I'd never get that good of a rate- having a non-stop flight at that! It's only a 2 1/2 hour flight-Thank goodness too! We've never flown with our girls or brought them with us on a cruise-this will be #13 for us!

Good luck on your hunt for a good flight!

Sue

My other family members that are going with us are booked on Spirit Airlines from DTW to Tampa-they only paid $176.00 back in Feb though.

cruizinkelly... that is great price on spirit -- good luck to you. I avoided Spirit due to our last cruise experience. We were booked to San Juan out of Detroit which connected in FLL. Unfortunately, Hurricane Francis came through. Last minute, we were scrambling to find flights as that was the only way to get to san juan. We ended up paying twice as much for airfare.(and more than we payed for the cruise) I vowed to go on a "major airline" this time to hopefully avoid last minute scrambles.

cmu - I was choosing Spirit because of the price, decent plane size, and it was non-stop. (Last cruise went Delta and they lost all of our luggage for the entire cruise, received when we got off the ship, then lost it again coming home). I figured non-stop we would be less likely to loose the luggage. American is running around $260.00 non-stop, maybe I should go with them, I have never flown on Spirit before - now I'm a little nervous.

Sue - Hi neighbor, my husband is from Grand Haven, and my step-daughter still lives there - small world. GR has great non-stops to Tampa (last year could get it for $120.00 RT) and also to Orlando. We need to do FLL though and nothing goes direct unless you go to Detroit or Chicago.

I am booking for several people and I want to book now, but they are all sure the price is going down because gas is going down, now I think....who knows it may go up and it may not, but we could end up getting a seat on a flight with a decent time.

Good luck to all, I'm checking everyday so I'll let you know if I see anything better.

cruisinkelly--who's scaring who now? I had convinced my friend that even if our luggage was lost by flying in a day early, they should be able to get it to us prior to boarding (ok, I was crossing my fingers and praying that if our luggage was lost it would work out ok). My friend is a bit scared of flying and has only flown one other time -- our last cruise. I told her to pack 1/2 her stuff and 1/2 her boyfriends stuff in same suitcase and hopefully both suitcases would not be lost. Lost luggage and arrival time in Dtw were my two concerns. I can deal with the arrival time, but the lost luggage--Yikes. Not to mention my husband and I are thinking of flying standby on an earlier flight that our friends were able to get on. If that works out, who knows what will happen to our luggage.

Be sure to pack "some" summer clothes in your carry on..that way ifffff it get lost you have some Caribbean wear!

NWA changed our flight home- I got on the phone with them and ended up getting the flight I had orginally wanted (but it was about 150 more RT) to go home on! Im very glad about that!

cruisinkelly-

If you don't mind me asking-what's you hubby's name & your step daughter? GH is such a small town-I probably know them! I work in Real Estate so I have plenty of community contact! :)

Also, someone told me once to check flight times around 12:30am- and on because that's when some flights are released off hold & they also lower the prices....haven't tried it before but just thought I'd pass this tip along!

Good Luck!

Sue

Cruisegirl29 - Husband's name is Clark Schuiteman, his daughter's name is Rachel (she works at the Roundezvous (spelling?) restaurant, has for several years). I'm so particular about times. Thanks for the tip on the am flights but I think I'll stick to regular times, for $239 to $245 I can get either morning or afternoon flights.

lcd - Boy you are close, we are on the east side of Rockford, so only a few miles away! We live on Big Brower Lake off of 10 mile. I've been hearing gas prices in Greenville are under $2.00 a gallon!

Interesting comment was made about luggage not being lost often except on USAirways out of Philly - guess who lost our luggage both times - USAirways and both times at our connection in Philly!! I had never lost any luggage before on any flight with any other carrier, we flew out a day early and the airlines had well over 24 hours to get us our luggage, and because I had never lost any luggage I didn't have a thing on me. My carry on bag consisted of my extra contacts, a book and some munchies - we had to buy everything. This time a will have basics in my carry on, especially some clothing for my dh, who is a big & tall man - which translated to big bucks in Miami for a couple pair of shorts and two shirts. I do have to say, it did not ruin our vacation - we made due, and didn't go to the dining room - but it was still a ton of fun and much better than snow and work!

Cruisin Kelly

Be sure to pack "some" summer clothes in your carry on..that way ifffff it get lost you have some Caribbean wear!

NWA changed our flight home- I got on the phone with them and ended up getting the flight I had orginally wanted (but it was about 150 more RT) to go home on! Im very glad about that!

We are flying NWA from Des Moines to Detroit to FLL in January - our return flight was changed too. But I didn't have the option to pay more as they removed the flight all together. We are still flying the same day, but a later flight. I am hoping the weather will be okay in Detroit when we fly down - we are going 2 days before the cruise so that should help.

I booked our flight with a coupon and basically got 2 for 1 airfare - around $430 RT for 2 instead of $859 for 2.

Archived