How do you take along extra batteries for your scooter?

mamasylvia

That is not what I found in my research. Your research may well have been different than mine, but that doesn't make either of us correct. Just with different research results. So my statement did not need what you consider improvements.

Actually for the benefits of others reading this thread your statement did need imporvements as you made a blanket statement about travel scooters which it not 100% true. For what ever reason you have choosen to disregard my posts and that's your choice. However it's important that others are not mislead by misinformation.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The lithium battery is the problem. Most airlines are now prohibiting cargo shipments of any form of lithium battery so that's not a solution. Additionally the lithium battery in question is exclusive to the Travelscoot and needs to be purchased from an approve Travelscoot Distributor. There are no such distributors in Dubai or India. The only option mexico8 has is to purchase the standard Travelscoot12 Ah sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery which sells for $185.00 through the USA manufacturer of the Travelscoot. The sealed lead-acid battery wright more and does not have the same distance range but it appears to be mexico8's best option at the present time.

XXOO Cruiser:

For months I was trying to find an airline to fly from Singapore to Ottawa, Ontario. Many of the flights had a stopover in China and I found out that the lithium battery on my scooter was a problem. (It is a 264 Wh) I finally found out that Hong Kong would allow a smaller battery so I ordered the 160 Wh from Travelscoot (it is being shipped to me now). It cost me $850 and I didn't really need it except for airline travel. I am perfectly happy with the larger battery but was trying to eliminate possible problems. Then I found out that Jet Airways would not even allow the 160 Wh battery. I have had e-mails and phone calls with all kinds of people about this (FAA and IATA etc.)

If I had know about the $185.00 lead acid battery I would have ordered that but it's too late now. Thanks for posting that info. Might help for future reference for some others.

Wendy

> it's important that others are not mislead by misinformation.

I agree, but you keep posting anyway.

I specifically stated what *I* had found. That you chose to ignore my caveat and "correct" what was correct to start with, does not make my statements incorrect, nor make yours correct.

And btw, the correct phasing of that sentence is "misled" rather than "mislead."

Edited by mamasylvia

> it's important that others are not mislead by misinformation.

I agree, but you keep posting anyway.

I specifically stated what *I* had found. That you chose to ignore my caveat and "correct" what was correct to start with, does not make my statements incorrect, nor make yours correct.

And btw, the correct phasing of that sentence is "misled" rather than "mislead."

Never posted that your statement was "incorrect" rather what was stated was that it was not a 100% correct. Therefore meaning your information was correct to a point. My post took it farther to let others reading this thread know that there are Travel Scooters that use an AGM battery which as ChengKp75 noted in his post is the safer option for air travel.

Apparently you don't find that to be value added information.

BTW correcting typing doesn't bother me.

Have a good day !

Edited by xxoocruiser

Isn't all this going to cost you more in the long run than buying the larger capacity battery to begin with? The original cost for the larger battery doesn't seem to be that expensive but WHOA the price on an additional battery is alarming, compared to the cost of replacing both the batteries on my current scooter.

The larger battery exceeds FAA limits. WAY exceeds them. That's why I went with the travel battery when I ordered the scooter, which still has an official 18-mile range.

Taking along the charger would require finding a place to plug it in to charge. ;) Also, I don't know how long it would take to recharge.

The scooter was delivered today, so I'll have time to figure out whether I need to take along an additional battery before I cruise next May. But I'd rather spend the bucks for an additional battery than risk getting stranded somewhere in a port.