New policy: fire retardant decorations for staterooms

Lattelady253

Carnival has taken the wind out of my sails! We are going on our first cruise on November 5th on the Carnival Glory and celebrating our 30th anniversary.

Carnival is now saying that as of Oct. 31, 2016 that any door or stateroom decorations must be fire retardant and that decorations from their Fun Shops.

I planned on decorating our stateroom door with a door banner with our wedding photos and photos of the last 30 years. I don't even know how to do this now!

Has anyone been on any cruises where they have decorated with fire retardant materials? I have looked on Amazon and I have Googled, but have come up with nothing.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

Carnival's new link:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3256/~/decorating-your-stateroom-door-and-stateroom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Carnival has taken the wind out of my sails! We are going on our first cruise on November 5th on the Carnival Glory and celebrating our 30th anniversary.

Carnival is now saying that as of Oct. 31, 2016 that any door or stateroom decorations must be fire retardant and that decorations from their Fun Shops.

I planned on decorating our stateroom door with a door banner with our wedding photos and photos of the last 30 years. I don't even know how to do this now!

Has anyone been on any cruises where they have decorated with fire retardant materials? I have looked on Amazon and I have Googled, but have come up with nothing.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

Carnival's new link:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3256/~/decorating-your-stateroom-door-and-stateroom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

How about getting customized t shirts to wear?

I always liked putting up door decorations to make my cabin easy to find after a long day.I wonder if this rule includes this type of decoration.

"Carnival is now saying that as of Oct. 31, 2016 that any door or stateroom decorations must be fire retardant"

I'm pretty sure "any door" covers your question ;)

I get the reasoning, but it is kind of crappy. For door decorations, I've printed pics on magnetized sheets which you can get at office supply stores and are made for home printers. That way as long as the door is metal, you're not using paper and they "stick" without harming the door. And now I guess they would be fire retardant too.

Understand the fire hazard on ships. But how do they (Carnival) know what is, or is not fire retardant. Is it a safety thing or is it the crew having to clean up the mess or both. Most cabin door decorations nice and neat and some are over the top. A lot of the stuff that goes on the doors don't always stay on the doors. As long as I can place photos of my family in my cabin that's the decorations I need. Have a great cruise.

I've never understood the appeal of decorating the cabin. You don't decorate hotel rooms, do you? I understand one or two little things on the door to make it easy to identify, or if you are traveling with small children.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Back in college in a dorm room we may have decorated doors, but now, I can't figure out either.

I've never understood the appeal of decorating the cabin. You don't decorate hotel rooms, do you? I understand one or two little things on the door to make it easy to identify, or if you are traveling with small children.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If someone cannot identify room by number they should stop drinking ;)

This isn't a new policy. Well over a year ago the policy was announce. The enforcement has been lax. The most recent announcement now includes a comment about not hanging things from the light fixtures and sprinkler system. AND that the decoration from the fun shop are now compliant with the fire retardant rule.

My personal opinion is that enforcement was lax because you could argue that Carnival own decorations did not follow the rules. Now that their deco meets the requirements they will likely start to enforce. Time will tell......

There are place online you can order a custom made banner. Design your door and send them a photo. Shazam (sp) is the name that comes to mind Affix with command hooks and you are good to go.

Edited by springs741

I think Carnival let door decorations slide because most kept them under control. But like everything else people take it as a challenge and over the years they've gotten more and more extreme. You see all the contests that go on now and I know many here participate. I'm not trying to insult anyone but at some point Carnival has to say enough is enough. Yes they are a fire safety hazard, those doors are heavy and fireproof for a reason, covering them with layers of flammable items defeats the purpose and makes it hard for people that are cleaning to do the job. You know how it is to get a cart into a room while not damaging something on the door? Think they want to make you mad by ripping your decorations when you hold their tips in your hands all week? Then add in the over the top decorations people put inside their cabins, again highly flammable items.

Come on people you are on a ship where fire is one of the biggest safety issues. This is not about profit or trying to ruin your fun, it's about keeping people safe. They have tried to dial people back for years but being nice about it isn't working so they are going to have to finally put their foot down. I don't blame them one bit for this one.

My guess is that Carnival wants to make every penny they can and by banning decorations from home they will sell more from their shop.

FYI, schools are the same here in FL so I would imagine that any board backgrounds or decor to hang in the classroom would also be appropriate for the door!

I get the reasoning, but it is kind of crappy. For door decorations, I've printed pics on magnetized sheets which you can get at office supply stores and are made for home printers. That way as long as the door is metal, you're not using paper and they "stick" without harming the door. And now I guess they would be fire retardant too.

No as crappy as it would be if the ship caught on fire.

If you do find something fire retardant, I would save the packaging to show them in case they question whether or not it is acceptable.