Haven't cruised since 2009, what changes can I expect?

ngl116

I haven't cruised since 2009 and I'm booked on the Pride and sail away in 39 days. I can't begin to explain how excited I am to cruise again after such a long break.

I've read so much lately and see there have been some changes to options on Carnival. I'm seeing more dining options (free restaurants) and some anytime dining which stand out to me because those weren't options when I last cruised. I've also completed my online check in and know to print my own cruise docs....kinda takes away from the joy of the doc dance at the mailbox huh? (And the funny looks from your neighbors as you bust a move :)

What are other new things I can expect and how have they enhanced or altered your Carnival cruise experiences? This will be my 6th Carnival cruise.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've also completed my online check in and know to print my own cruise docs....kinda takes away from the joy of the doc dance at the mailbox huh? (And the funny looks from your neighbors as you bust a move :)

I know right? I wish Carnival would come up with a way where guests could choose to have docs mailed to them for a nominal fee. I'd gladly pay $5-10 per passenger to get a nice envelope with everything inside and organized.

Then again, someone would probably complain about how Carnival was trying to nickel and dime them, even if Carnival kept the option to print at home for free...

[emoji41]

While we still love Carnival, there are several things we miss. Specialty coffees with dinner are no longer free. No fancy folded napkins & white tablecloths except on Elegant night. Also miss the charger plates with the ladies on them. Menu is now American Table. Waiters do not bring a basket of rolls to you, they are on the table. Lipton is the only free tea. No more Chocolates on your pillow. No more basket of free sample toiletries in the bathroom. All the FUN is still there!

I'd gladly pay $5-10 per passenger to get a nice envelope with everything inside and organized.

Im sure if they did, it would be much more than $5-10 as Royal has already set a precedent. They charge 35.00 for mailed travel docs :eek:

Edited by ryano

Im sure if they did, it would be much more than $5-10 as Royal has already set a precedent. They charge 35.00 for mailed travel docs :eek:

$35 per person or per room? Per person that seems a little crazy to me... $35 pet room isn't that bad, especially for a family of 4 or 5, but we're only 2 and that does seem a bit much...

Oh and does RC send you whatever their equivalent of a sign & sail card is? I read in Miami they're starting to put your card in the mailbox once you board. I'd pay more for my docs beforehand to get my key in advance if I was on a sailing that did this. When I get on board, my room is not the first stop I want to make...

Ooohhh, Alchemy looks great! I believe I will be getting to know the 'pharmacists' there. [emoji6]

If you have Cheers! Can you get a specialty coffee in the dining room or do you have to go to the coffee bar? I like my after dinner boost of caffeine.

Man, I'm gonna miss the candies on the pillow, that's a real bummer. I may have to bring a pack with me.

Explain 'American Table' please. I loved getting the escargot, and whatever seafood they had each night.

Thanks!

Ooohhh, Alchemy looks great! I believe I will be getting to know the 'pharmacists' there. [emoji6]

If you have Cheers! Can you get a specialty coffee in the dining room or do you have to go to the coffee bar? I like my after dinner boost of caffeine.

Man, I'm gonna miss the candies on the pillow, that's a real bummer. I may have to bring a pack with me.

Explain 'American Table' please. I loved getting the escargot, and whatever seafood they had each night.

Thanks!

I don't drink coffee from the specialty coffee bar but I have had the Cheers program on my last 4 cruises since finding out about it. I always have a Baileys and coffee after dinner as 1 of my 15 drinks without a problem. I believe you can also get it with a latte or something but I'm not quite sure of that.

The Alchemy bar is one of my favorites! I wish they opened earlier for those of us looking for a better hangover cure than a mimosa or bloody Mary [emoji23].

The American Table is a different experience than the cruise dining you'll remember (if you're on a ship that has it, not all of them do). I would go to Carnivals FAQ section and look it up to see if your ship has it, and sample menus. The decoration and food is different. On some ships I love it, others I'm indifferent. You won't have table cloths or fancy folded napkins when you arrive, but personally I hardly notice and don't care with the exception of one time someone spilled their water on the table and it went right into my lap since there was no table cloth to soak it up. The biggest difference to me is that they incorporate selections from wherever you are traveling. I really enjoy this in the Caribbean where I have been able to enjoy conch, frog legs, and other interesting local foods. I live in California so I don't care for it as much on Mexico cruises--I can get great Mexican food any time. I enjoy escargot and seafood as well and have never been disappointed in the selections.

I just saw that you are on the Pride, which does have American Table so I would definitely look up sample menus.

It will also have Blue Iguana and Guy's Burger (the ship's I've been on have this by the pool) which are new upgrades. Guy's you'll love or hate depending on how greasy you like your burger, but Blues Iguana is my favorite place for breakfast on board. They're breakfast burritos are awesome!