Solo Fascination Cruiser and Resort for a Day review

happychippy

I found reading the forum reviews very helpful before my cruise, so I wanted to share my experience for others. I have about 2 free hours this morning so we'll see how much I can get done today. Just a little background, I'm a 36 year old farmers wife and mother to 3 teenagers from Ohio. I've cruised a few times but normally I take one of the kids, or the family. This time I really just wanted to get away for a week by myself. I enjoy traveling by myself as when I travel with the family I'm usually so worried about everyone else that I do not have time to relax. So this is my Mom's Week Off trip. I booked this cruise about a year in advance and had cabin M16 which is an inside, which I prefer because I like it cold and dark so I can nap during the day if I want. The great thing about Mom's Week Off trip is that it's all about what I wanted to do, and that was just go and relax. Just let everyone else wait on me for a week. I picked this cruise specifically for the itinerary as I've never been to any of those islands. When I cruised before my favorite excursion was just a relaxing day at the private resort, so this trip I booked a Resort Day Pass on each island so I could just go relax on the island away from the crowds.

I flew down the morning of the cruise which is a first for me, I do normally fly in a couple days before, but luckily no problems. Flew Southwest for about $350 roundtrip, leaving Columbus at 6A with a connection through Baltimore, arrived San Juan at around 12:30P. I only traveled with carry on luggage, a small rolling suitcase and a smaller handheld case. I was off the flight and taxi's were waiting right outside, it was $22 flat rate to the cruise pier. One thing I did find by traveling solo was how much these taxi drivers were going to make off of me, and I realized quickly that I did not bring enough cash. I also made the mistake of thinking that as long as I just used my Debit card on the ship then I didn't need to let the bank know I was traveling, Nope, had to call the bank from the ship to let them know my card wasn't stolen not a fun morning, but lesson learned. So I get to the San Juan Pier about 15 minutes later, and the pier was the strangest set up I ever saw. There was 3 check in points with the first one being outside, with a tent cover. It started down pouring as soon as I got out of the taxi and there was about a 15 minute wait outside under this tent that wasn't much of a shelter, but I'm on vacation so it's okay I'll dry. You can leave your bags here if you want the porters to take your bags, but after seeing those bags getting soaked and dropped, knocked over I was perfectly fine walking my own bag to my room. I get up to check point 1 and present my Photo ID and Confirmation, then proceeded to check poing 2 about 25 feet ahead, another 5 minute wait, this check point was for your health question forms, that was a fast check, then proceed inside, go inside and escalator is broken, but that's okay I can easily carry my bags up those 15 steps. Get up the steps expecting to go through a security to scan by bags, but nope they had you go straight to the check in counter to check in, once checked in, then they sent me through the security. Still all pretty quickly, and it always seems like such a long walk to get on the ship, but we're finally onboard. It was about 2:00P.M so I went and dropped my bags off at my room and freshen up from that wonderful rain shower. The ship is not leaving San Juan until 10P so I grabbed some lunch from the Mongolion Wok as I've never tried it on Carnival and there was no line today. You grab a bowl and put in the veggies you want, then take it to the chef and select the meat and sauce you want added and they fry it up for you. It was pretty good. After lunch I just explored the ship before it got too crowded.

One thing I failed to think about when booking this trip was that I was cruising out of San Juan, Puerto Rico and that they mainly speak spanish in San Juan. Not only that, but many of the guest getting on the ship would be from San Juan and they too would speak spanish. That made small talk to other cruisers a little difficult for me, so when it came time for dinner, I was happy to ask for a table for just myself. I still do not understand why it seems like a shock to cruise staff and other cruisers that people enjoy cruising alone, "You're all alone?" was asked by everyone. I didn't think it was that unusual. Anyway, the first night dining room is Open Seating, so you can just go in and they seat you at a table. I like the main dining room, as I find it nice to have someone waiting on me. Sunday nights dinner was quickly served and delicious. After dinner I was feeling exhausted from being up since 2:30A and I thought I would go back to my room and relax. I did purchase the Social Internet Plan so I could use messenger to keep in touch at home with my husband and kids. This worked well from my room, and faster when used in other areas of the ship. I couldn't get too comfortable as the Muster Drill was at about 9:30 since sail away was at 10:00P. This Muster drill was one of the longer drills I've ever sat, walked, then stand through. Headed back to bead after it was over because I wanted to be up bright and earlier when we arrive in St. Thomas. I was hoping to add photos for each specific date, but that's not working too well today, so hopefully I'll find out how to get photos added. Tomorrow we'll stop in St. Thomas and spend the day at the Marriott Morning Star Resort.

Edited by happychippy

My Cabin was front on deck 5 (Main Deck) I liked my room, it was perfectly quiet and dark. In the mornings when we docked I did hear the Anchor dropping but I was already up and heading out the door so no bother there. Thankfully I learned from the cruise critic forums about the Vent in the ceiling to adjust the room temperature, so I was able to keep it on cold. I thought this cabin had a lot more closet space than what I've seen on other cruise ships. There were 2 separate closets, one behind the door, and one larger one across from the door. The Bathroom was average size and suited just fine, other than I will mention to other ladies that it can be very difficult to shave in the shower. Also realized when I unpacked that I brought two Shampoo's and no conditioner. Very heartbreaking for a woman with very long hair. The showers in the cabin has shampoo/conditioner combo which just isn't the same.

My room steward was a younger gentleman that was very funny. I liked that he was always available in the mornings to wish me a good day, and always right there when I came back after dinner to talk about my day. Had towel animals every night. I wish I could remember his name, but he was a great room steward. He wanted to know why my cabin always smelled so nice. I showed him my Bath and Body Works Scentables that I always take with me and put in my room. Brings a little bit of scent from home with me.

https://happychippy.smugmug.com/Carnival-Fascination-M16/Carnival-Fascination-Cabin-M16/

Edited by happychippy

• 1 month later...