Best for Diving/Snorkeling? Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Lucia

me-shel

These are all new destinations for us, and I'm the only diver. I'd love to ditch my family and dive in at least one port... possibly two.

Any idea how these rank for diving when you're solo?

How about for snorkeling with the family? Our girls saw some videos of snorkeling with sea turtles and they would LOVE to do that if we can. I think we saw it in Barbados, but not sure if that's the only/best place.

One daughter may want to try Snuba or the Sea Trek(?) helmets. She'll be 15.

Barbados is definitely the place to swim with the sea turtles. Usually I would recommend booking the day with Calabaza but it would be expensive with kids in tow. I know there are options so you might try the Barbados board for more information.

We've dove in St Thomas, St Lucia and St Kitts. By yourself I would highly recommend Dive St Kitts - fantastic dive operator with port pickup and return.

St Thomas has a lot of snorkeling excursions and even the ones through the ship are good - or head over to St John's and Trunk Bay.

You are doing one of my favorite itineraries. Have fun!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Barbados is a great place to swim with the turtles. If you want the kids to have this experience and you dive, they family could head over to The Boatyard (very close to the port) and there is a $20 entrance fee, which includes the chairs and umbrella, a drink, AND a free boat ride out to swim with the turtles. Most places will charge you $20 pp to go out but this places includes it with their admission. Well worth it IMO.

If you are looking for a place that the family can somewhat be together in St Lucia, maybe consider a trip between the Pitons. The snorkeling there is absolutely amazing right off the beach and when we were there, divers were going out too.

I have reviews of both of these places in my signature line with tons of pictures. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Blue Island Divers in St. Thomas. Without a doubt the dive on the Tea Table was the best I've ever done. It's around an underwater peak with all kinds of swim throughs and you're only at about 45'. Only dive team I've ever gone with where the DM's have different colored air bottles so there is no doubt about who you're following.