Accra Beach, Crane Beach, or somewhere else?

kellyccz

We will be in Barbados on our Destiny Cruise next month and are looking for a beautiful beach that's not packed with people like the Boatyard. We would like a place that is good for just relaxing and swimming. It should have a bar and food available.

Anyone who has been to either one of these beaches (or both), what is your opinion? Or if someone has been to another beach they would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

There are many posts on this board giving pros and cons to both of these beaches, but let me try to give it to you in a nutshell

Accra Beach. (south coast) Flat beach, the sea is nice, sometimes flat like a lake but usually with some waves (not huge unless a storm is coming or going). Many places to get food. Sugar Reef Beach Bistro on left end (as you look at the sea), Food Kiosks (I recommend De Rock) near the life guard station, Cheffette (fast food chicken, pizza, burger) accros the street). A beach facility with changing rooms/toliets and showers. Chairs and umbrellas for rental. and places to buy stuff (beach toys, pareo's(wraps), t-shirts etc. Easy to get to from the port, only about a 15min cab ride.

Crane Beach . (east coast)Stunning views, rated always in the tops in the world for beaches. Pink Sand (crushed shells etc). Rough Surf. Great for Body Surfing, but can have a serious undertow. I think you can buy drinks and rent umbrellas and chairs, but not 100pct sure. Not as easy to get to.. about a 40min ride from the port. You either have to go through The Crane Hotel (which will charge you an entrance fee but you get it back in food and drink, I think) or there is a public access along the north end of the beach (that road is right beside the homes of the 2 wealthiest people in Barbados)

While I go to Accra Beach almost every weekend, I haven't been to the Crane Beach in years (except to go to the hotel for dinner and look out at it from above). Why not Crane in years. I have 3 children who like to swim, so not untill they are older will we venture back that way.

Hope this helps

Also.. Sarah Taylor has some great photo's of Accra Beach posted on the boards.. try to find her posts and take a look. You can check out the crane on the net.. Just google The Crane Hotel Barbados and find the site.

Check Sarah Taylor's "Best Beach by far" post on this board. She has some pics of Accra beach which she recomends. It is a great beach. The rocks in the pics are to the far left of the beach so dont worry about that, There is alot of beach with sand and good swimming. Check out Sugar Reef on the far left. Great Food.

Accra Beach is a beautiful, calm beach, much closer to port, with all the amenities, restaurants, and bars you will need.

IMO Crane is worth the trip. It is one of the most beautiful beaches you will ever see. The waves are fun to crash into, just don't go beyond a depth for which you can comfortably touch bottom. The restaurant has a fantastic view high above the beach with which to cap-off your day. Sure it is over-priced, but it is due the overall experience. You won't be disappointed. I am returning in Jan. A taxi is an option, if you don't want to drive.

Bottom Bay, south of Crane, is even more beautiful, as you may have it all to yourself. You will have to bring a picnic though, as there are not any amenities. You will need to rent a car.

Archived