Need tips from experts-cruising with 2yr old

Cowie

Hi,

I am looking to cruise on the Adventure of the Seas on March and have a TON of questions. Any advice is more than welcome.

Background-I will have a 2 year old who isn't potty trained?

• Am I setting myself up for not much fun?
  • How does the in port transportation work...do you have to lug around a carseat?
  • Do you keep your stroller in your room?
  • Can he swim the pool?
  • Does he need a passport?
  • How does laundry work?
  • Is this itinerary out of PR maybe too much for the little guy?

I looked for some trip reports but haven't seen too much. I'll be traveling from Denver and the flight itself will be a hurdle.

Thanks so much for any advice :)

Cowie:

Let me start by saying, off the bat, I've never sailed with RCCL. We have two kids: 6 and 2 years old. Our only cruises have been on Carnival: first cruise was in 1/05. We loved it so much we sailed again in 5/05, and I took the kids (DH was on a business trip) on a 5 night out of NY (where we live) to Canada in 8/05.

If you had said to me 18 months ago I would have been on 1 cruise - never mind 3 - this past year, I would have said you didn't know me very well. Formerly, we were the epitomy of independent travelers. But cruising is, IMHO, the best way to both see some of the world with small kids, and not become beyond exhausted in the process. It's a terrific way to travel: unpack and re-pack once, familiar room each night, familiar meal experience every day, and yet you're on the move!

In spite of not having traveled RCCL, I think I can answer several of your questions. I'm not sure about your itinerary, but DD sailed on the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan in May and had a great time. We got there two nights early to allow a full day of sight seeing. I don't think that would be necessary if your only child is 2. Getting there the day before, though, would be key IMHO. Pack a small collapsible kite, and take it up to the fort grounds in the afternoon. Awesome! (I found the fort itself to be scary with a 2 year old.) If you decide to go for it, and want some more info on San Juan and/or some of the ports with a 2 year old in tow, let me know.

According to my research, RCCL does not have any self-service laundry. There are price lists for send-out laundry on their web site - in my view, it seems pricey, but you may disagree. I'm presently struggling with this issue myself. I want to book a particular itinerary, and a couple of the best options are on lines without self-service laundry. Carnival has ample laundry facilities, and I found I could have a couple of loads done in the AM before a lot of people were awake. It let me pack (relatively!) light, and I really liked not having to sweat the wardrobe.

The passport issue is one I am not sure of. Right now, I believe a birth certificate is all that is required - although I believe it must be the original. I know I have seen threads here addressing the subject (the US government is changing it's regulations soon.) I haven't paid much attention, because my own personal opinion is that I feel more comfortable leaving the country with my kids with passports in hand. While I don't actually bring them off the ship with us in the ports, I do carry a color copy of them. In the event something totally unexpected should happen, we could find our way to the nearest authorities, and have proof of US citizenship. You should know, though, that passports for kids are only good for 5 years (an adult's is 10), and you must either have a notarized form from an absent parent or both parents must go to the passport agency (for us, our local post office during certain hours) in order for them to process the application.

Your son can only swim in the pool if he is fully potty-trained (no pull-ups or swim diapers). Most cruise lines have only salt water in the pools (no chlorine) and the pools are very small. I'm sure you can understand why they have this policy. There are many quite vivid discussions on the boards about those who do not comply with this rule...

We keep our stroller in the room. I have never seen any strollers left in the halls, although I have occasionally seen a wheelchair. Do yourself a favor and bring one that is relatively narrow. We once brought one that had to be fully collapsed before it fit through the door, did not fit under the bed and did not fit in the closet! That one is now officially banned from setting sail! (Should have been charged a 5th passenger rate for the amount of space it took up in the cabin!) However, that said, if your son is still napping, you may want to bring one that reclines. I also find a hood helpful, if for no other reason than it supports a rain cover or bug cover.

Tha car seat issue is a very hot topic. I'm just going to say that many would say it is an absolute must, as no amount of effort should be spared in protecting your child. It is also suggested that you bring it on the airplane with you, as small children can not be kept safe by the adult seatbelt in the plane seats (just make sure your's will fit in an airplane seat, if you decide to go this route.) Others would say that, unless you are planning on long sight-seeing trips, it is on the whole unnecessary, as many island vehicles do not even have seatbelts. I suggest you run a search. There are several threads on the subject. Read both sides of the arguement, and decide for yourself.

As to your first question, I don't know. I think RCCL has a toddler program - like a playgroup - which you can attend with your child. For us, Carnival was the only line we considered, because they were the only line who would take a 2 year old in the camp program. I knew if DD saw DS head off to someplace cool and she was not allowed to follow there would be BIG problems. (Carnival even changes diapers - you just bring a supply at the beginning and they let you know if they need more.) She was 25 months on our first cruise and absolutely loved every minute of the camp experience. I'm talking running off without a backward glance! (Carnival does not permit parents into the camp.) I actually found I was able to sit in the sun, by the pool, and read a book!! I hadn't done that in years...Happy, happy days!

I'm not sure if any of this helped, or only served to muddy the waters. If you want clarification or elaboration, let me know. Overall, if you haven't been able to tell, I think cruising with little ones is just the best - for both grown-ups and kids. I hope whatever you decide finds you feeling the same! Happy cruising!

Hi,

I am looking to cruise on the Adventure of the Seas on March and have a TON of questions. Any advice is more than welcome.

Background-I will have a 2 year old who isn't potty trained?

[*]Am I setting myself up for not much fun?

In my opinion, it's NOT fun travelling anywhere with a 2YO. The amount of stuff you have to take with you (including diapers) is enough to immobilize any parent! But that shouldn't stop parents with young children from going on fun vacations. I think cruising is the easiest vacation that any parent can have when young children are involved. It's just not a family vacation without taking your children along. Before long, our children won't want to travel with us, so we have to make the best of it now.

[*]How does the in port transportation work...do you have to lug around a carseat?

I'm not sure which ports you will visit on your cruise, but most foreign ports of call do not require carseats for public transportation. Don't plan any shore excursions with a 2YO. My advice is to take his stroller and do your own walkabouts in the ports where you will visit. Sometimes, you may have to take a taxi or shuttle to get to places, but carseats are usually not required by law in those ports. Of course, it's safer to put your child in car seats, but not all cars are equiped for carseats, so what can you do?!

You'll likely need a carseat for his plane ride out of Denver. I think since he's 2, you'll need to buy a airplane seat for him, right? It's easier to strap him into his carseat during the plane ride than to hold him in your lap, even if you bought a seat for him. Make him think he's still in a car, so he has to sit in his carseat. If you take a carseat onto the plane, just put it on the stroller and have your child walk next to you. Get a gate tag for your stroller. Before stepping on the plane, fold up the stroller and leave it by the door. When you get off the plane, that stroller will be there waiting.

I wouldn't recommend over-the-shoulder bags. Bring a backpack. The rule of thumb is to pack his favorite juice and snacks with you. Diapers are 1 for every hour of plane ride plus 2 extra diapers. 2 extra changes of clothing. Wipes. Hand sanitizers. 1 special toy or surprise for every hour of plane ride.

[*]Do you keep your stroller in your room?

Yes. Bring a narrow stroller. An umbrella stroller is ideal, but it's more uncomfortable. A Peg Perego will be too wide for the cabin corridors. My sister had a Graco and that was a touch to wide. I had a Combi Convenience stroller and it wasn't too wide for manuvering down the cabin corridors. To save space, just fold your stroller up when you bring it into your room.

[*]Can he swim the pool?

NO, because he's not potty trained. And since he's not allowed to swim in the ship's pools, you may want to make it a priority to find a hotel pool which allows cruise guests at each port of call.

[*]Does he need a passport?

It's best that you get him a passport. He'll need a photo ID and a passport is the easiest photo ID. The new passport law for entering foreign countries will come into effect Jan. 2006, so you might as well get him a passport now. It'll take 6-8 weeks to get a new passport. You can pay $60 extra to get it within 2 weeks though.

[*]How does laundry work?

Find out whether Adventure of the Seas have self-service laundry. If not, you'll have to either pack enough clothes for the duration of your cruise or handwash his clothes or pay for laundry service.

[*]Is this itinerary out of PR maybe too much for the little guy?

It depends on your little guy.

Check this board for more information about cruising with toddlers, including packing lists.

My sister has been on the RCL and she said RCL's kids' program is not very accommodating for kids under 3. Kids under 3 were not allowed in the Kids' Club even when accompanied by parents (Princess allows this). So you'll have to provide the necessary entertainment for your 2YO. A good tool to have is to buy a portable DVD player (Costco has a nice portable DVD bundle for $169+ tax) and bring his favorite shows to surprise him. Although I don't think a lot of TV is a good idea, but since it's a vacation and it'll make your life so much easier, why not?!

I can't really comment on Adventures of the Seas because I've never been on it before. I've only cruised with Princess.

I&M and Merela,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm totally plexed on the whole diaper thing..thats a LOT of diapers.

Maybe we change to Princess? Carnival really doesn' thave the itinerary we want. HMMMM>...

RCI added a program called Aquatots earlier this year, which allows parents of kids under age 3 to come into Adventure Ocean and play with their kids for about an hour each day.

RCI also offers in cabin babysitting (for a fee) at night so that you can go off by yourself for a couple of hours for some adults only time.

Passports won't be required until the end of 2006, but it is best to travel with a passport. Because kids passports are only good for 5 years, you have to make the decision yourself whether it is worth the cost.

As to diapers and similar supplies, I buy them at our port of embarkation (we have always arrived at least the day before.) Pack an extra tote bag to stow them in before you board. On the way home, you have it for souveniers.

I once went in search of Pampers or the like on St. Martin, thinking it would be a fairly simple matter - there are kids there, right? Ended up taking a bit of a trek, which took way more time than I had wanted/expected it too. Did find them, however!

If you use special overnight diapers, I would suggest bringing one for each night and a couple of extra for plane travel. I've had a hard time finding them in the right size sometimes, even in Publix in Orlando. So, I never leave it to chance.

IMHO you don't need to pack much beverage/snack wise other than sippy cups or bottles (assuming your child is no longer drinking formula). There is ample juice (apple, orange and others) and milk (whole, 2%, chocolate). Bottled water is readily available (although on Carnival for a fee.) There are the small boxes of cereal and tons of fruit. You can't normally take the fruit off the ship, but the boxes of cereal are great for on the go snacking.

On ships with no in-cabin refrigerator, we brought a collapsible cooler and kept of few cartons of milk and some yogurt on hand for easy snacks. We usually always tried to keep a few bananas, apples or the like around also. We had no issues with the kids eating at meals or snacking. Must be all that ocean air!

We are taking our two year old on the Serenade out of SJ in January. He's a little world traveler and this is his second RCI cruise. We'll see how it goes with the the terrible twos! Anyway, we loved the RCI in room babysitting and used it four nights of our cruise. He usually crashed right after dinner anyway. It was the same girl each time and she was great.

We bought one of those sit n stroll car seat stroller combos and did not really end up using it as a car seat much. We never were in a cab for an extended period and some of the island cabs didn't even have seat belts to secure a car seat. You have to do what you feel most confortable with.

We brought along a little blow up pool and set it up on deck. The bar gave us a "bucket of beer" bucket and a few scoops of water later, Alex had his won private pool to splash in.

We also did cruise with other family members as well and it was really nice to have the extra help.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

We also used the blow up pool worked like a charm....also on my list:

lollipops

nightlight and favorite blankie

freezable ice pack

blow up water wings for swimming excursions

children's tylenol and or advil

look for snacks in the morning buffet. i always took some cheerios and fruit for the late morning or for excusions .

have fun !

If you're not already booked on the Radience of the Seas I'd look into Carnival simply because they do take 2-year-olds in Camp Carnival and they do change diapers. After taking 4 young grandchildren (3, 4, 5 & 5) on a cruise last year, we needed the break the kid's programs gave us plus the kids loved it! It should be easier with just one child, though, but in my opinion it would be hard to have no breaks from child care.

We are taking our first cruise with our 2, 5, and 8 year old. I have been a little nervous about taking them, not knowing what to expect. We are sailing on Carnival and going the Eastern Carribean Route.

I&M's MOm, I would love some ideas on what to do with them at the ports. You mentioned you were in San Juan, so i am assuming you also traveled the eastern Carribean??? We will be stopping in San Juan, St Marteen, and St Thomas. Thanks for all your help.

I did not realize that swim diapers were not allowed in the pools - I am glad that was mentioned. Although, this may cause some problems for my 2yr old. The small inflatible pool sounds like a good idea, but will it be allowed on a crowded pool deck - we are going Feb 19th which is winter break for many schools, so I imagine the boat will be close to full capapcity.

Thanks for all the advice. It is really helpful. I feel so clueless about everything!:confused:

Sandy

Archived