Another hurricane season question

KSGal

We are scheduled for our first cruise in June 2006 out of Galveston. I believe this is during hurricane season. However, it seems there are more in August and September. Am I correct??? This will be our first vacation in years and am looking forward to having a wonderful time!

I'm not trying to put a damper on your cruise, but some of the largest hurricanes have hit in June, i.e. Allison. Well, they happen all thru hurricane season. And, the "Season" is just an idea of when the majority of hurricane's have hit in the past. They can hit ANYTIME. Yes, I think the majority hit in Sept., but I don't think anyone will tell you your cruise will be safe. It's just hit or miss; June 1st to Dec. 1st. I live on the gulf coast and you just never know. However, I have (and they have been cancelled) and will continue to book cruises during hurricane season.

Like RedFrog said, Hurricane Season is a full six months long, June through November. And, yes, Alison did hit in June; she was actually already a named storm in late May. She never did become a Hurricane, if memory serves. Don't let that fool you, though...even as a Tropical Storm she did historic damage to the Houston area (my home flooded along with thousands and thousands of others :( )

My point is, you just never know...just be proactive & buy some peace of mind (aka travel insurance). Then, have fun planning your cruise!

Patty in Texas

We sailed this past July 3 and ended up playing "keep away" with Hurricane Dennis - already the fourth named storm of the season! We can't cruise other times of the year due to work/school schedules, so we take the chance. We figured we were relatively safe in early July, but not this year.

KSgal - The official hurricane season is June 1 - November 30. Yes, historically, most of the hurricanes do occur in August and September - the warmest months in the Gulf. June 4 should pose no major threat to your vacation. Although - no one can predict what Mother Nature will do.

Archived