posted here because not finding answers on ports thread/panama cruise-things to see ?

motherchic

I have spent days checking back on the Ports of call thread without much info.

We are going on the Summit-14 day Panama canal cruise. I am traveling with my aunt so we are looking for good tours, good shopping. but we cant snorkel or do a day at the beach etc..

I havnt found much info at all. On our last cruise i had tons of info from this board and planned great outings, restaurants and places to shop, would like to be as prepared for this cruise.

In acalpulco is it best to see the divers in the day or evening. With the cruise tour or at a restaurant, La perla. ?

Any thoughts on the butterfly farm in Costa rica?

Any suggestions in Puntaneras and Cristobel, Cabo,Huatulco ???

any info or places to find it would be greatly appreciated.

Hopfully some good reviews will be coming up

many thanks

nadine

We did a full transit on the Oosterdam last year and it was the best trip we have ever taken!!! I posted a review in the review section and also a longer review on the HAL board.

For Puntaneras we hired Mo, I found him on the Costa Rica board. We saw tons of wildlife, got lots of upclose pictures of Macaws and were really close to monkeys. At one point I saw one of the big buses slow down and fely sorry for the people because I know that they didn't see the monkeys!!!

We were interested in seeing how people really live and we then went around to alot of the little villages and ate at a little local place where we were shown how everything was prepared. As I said we found this on the Costa Rica board, you just have to search around all the tons of posts about Limon and Oscar Brown (who we used on our first Canal cruise and was fabulous!!)

For Acalpulco we followed cc advice and picked a guide when we got off the ship. We didn't pick the first person, but waited until we found one we liked. We were not in port for the evening dive, but our driver got us to the dive sight at the right time to beat all the busses and yhen took us to the best place to stand to see the divers. The advantage of the daytime dive is that you can watch them climb the cliffs.

There is good shopping in Huatulco, we saw local crafts there that we did not find in the other ports. Prices were better here than closes to the U.S.

We were in Cabo just as the whales were getting there. We did a private whale watching--a hightlight of my life because we were in a little boat and got really close. If you are there during whale season it would be a good idea to do some type of whale watching--you get closer than in Alaska. There is lots of shopping inCabo!!! I liked the selection of tiles, glass, pottery and rugs.

Hope this helps!!!

I did get most of my info from cc.

A suggestion for additional information...

Someone else mentioned on another thread (I wouldn't have thought of it) that you might try checking out the roll calls for Panama Canal Cruises. Often people will discuss ships excursions and alternatives on them.

Don't know if it will help, but its worth a try... and I learned a lot about our Baltic cruise from selective eavesdropping on other roll calls;)

Susan

What a brilliant idea, Susan. Mom & I are doing the Panama Canal on Summit in 2007 (do we plan ahead or what -- in fact, today she started talking about ideas for our *2008* trip!!!!). I've been at a loss as to what to do on our transcanal ports of call, but will definitely follow your suggestion of reading through some of the roll calls. Thanks for the tip!

Wish I could claim the idea of checking other roll calls as my own, Leela, but I stole it from another CC member. I also wish I could remember who so I could give credit. Sorry, whoever you are.

If that route is unproductive, which it was for me on our Coastal Cruise, the next step would be to check the Celebrity website for excursions offered at the port calls. Then start using Google. Most of the ports where you will be stopping will likely have a web presence for tourists, probably in English. Then just start surfing.

Our coastal cruise had mostly American ports, but I did find a lot of information on Victoria, Nanaimo and Ensenada on line, using Google and then just exploring, kind of like I do for our land vacations.

In addition to the information that Mountainmare gave in her post, you might also check the reviews here at CC, and not just the reviews for Celebrity. Also look at other lines, like HAL and RCL, that transit the Panama Canal, they may very well use the same ports.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Susan

We did the Panama cruise on Infinity last December, from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale.

Acapulco cliff divers - unmissable, we saw them in the evening, when they carry burning torches down the steps. We organised this in the evening just by getting a cab, we did however pay him extra to wait for us and take us back to the ship. It still only cost us a few dollars though as opposed to the 'ships excursion'

Cristobel Pier - we were only there for about 4 hours and quite honestly it wasn't worth getting off the ship - just a large shed with market stalls etc.

I am assuming that you also go to Aruba? This is our favourite caribbean port of call - it is a really pretty town with some lovely shops.

Obviously you MUST spend the day outside as you pass through the Panama - it really is a miracle of engineering (and I don't normally find this sort of thing interesting at all). If they show the film onboard the day before, it is well worth watching as it gives you an insight into the construction of the canal.

Have fun

There are many interesting places to see in Acapulco, We hired a driver & took a four hour tour of the city including the divers. Go to the Mexican Riviera ports board, there is a TON of info there! Roberto, the port mgr @ Acapulco posts & can sometimes set you up with reliable people, he did for me!

Cabo has GREAT malls for shopping, bunches of restaurants & bars for fun!

There are also great places to see, shop & eat in Mazatlan.

We went to Puerto Limon & Colon, so can't help you with Puntarenas.

The above poster is correct, there is a lot to see & eat & shop in Aruba! I would recommend you grab a cab in each of the ports & take a guided tour of each city, the drivers will know the best things to show you!

We are taking the Panama Canal cruise. I was interested to hear more about MO in Puntarenas. We like to go off on our own too, rather than take the ship's tours. How can I locate him. We would like to do and see the same things you did. Thanks.

Go to the Costa Rica threads and do a search for Mauricio. We used him

in April and he was excellent. IF you still can't find him, come back here and

I will try to give you more info. HOwever, there is a ton of it if you do

the search.

Also, see if you can find the roll call for Summit April 22 Panama Canal.

BTW, we rented a car in Aruba and did the whole island and were back to the

ship for afternoon tea.

Cliff

We are taking the Panama Canal cruise. I was interested to hear more about MO in Puntarenas. We like to go off on our own too, rather than take the ship's tours. How can I locate him. We would like to do and see the same things you did. Thanks.

Will you be on the Infinaty 12-10-06 ?

I thought about the two of you so much these past two weeks. I hope the trip was wonderful and that you got to meet and make some great new friends. Will look forward to hearing your review. If you have any suggestions on what bev and i might enjoy, please add it. I know the two of you probanly enjoyed the beach time and snorkeling but when i am with Bev-its a different type of trip. BUT !! very fun none the less

welcome back to reality !!!!

Nadine

Archived