Disappointing Reviews

Jane2357

I just finished my review on the Oct 2 Summit cruise. It will probably be published tomorrow. Anyway, other than a couple bad weather days and a muster from hell, it was a great cruise. My one piece of advice is to book the last cruise of the season as that will be your best bet at seeing fall colors. Ours was the last of the season and even we didn't see colors much until Quebec. Even on the way back, the leaves had not changed in Boston.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The timing of the fall colors is different every year depending upon the weather conditions for that particular year. The amount of rain and sunshine can make a big difference. This year has not been a good year in terms of the fall colors in our area. Lots of trees are still green with little color change and we are close to the end of October!

We haven't been on Summit, but have done multiple cruises on the other M class ships, Infinity, Millennium and Constellation. There are always a few reviews from people complaining about the ship. Sure, these ships are over ten years old, but the things that we see are very minor and the ships are refurbished every few years.

I worked on a tug boat in the summer between college years ago and salt water and rust on steel is going to happen. Some people freak out if they see a little rust on the steel somewhere on the ship.

We have sailed the Summit 6 times, both Southern Caribbean itineraries twice and 2 repo cruises. The Summit is our favorite X ship. If you like the M class ships you will love the Summit. As an added bonus both Captain Alex and Captain Kate are the two most personable, warm and welcoming captains we have ever sailed with. They truly make you feel very special because you chose their ship. I would not hesitate to sail the Summit again especially since the refurb put new loungers in the Solarium!

We have sailed the Summit 6 times, both Southern Caribbean itineraries twice and 2 repo cruises. The Summit is our favorite X ship. If you like the M class ships you will love the Summit. As an added bonus both Captain Alex and Captain Kate are the two most personable, warm and welcoming captains we have ever sailed with. They truly make you feel very special because you chose their ship. I would not hesitate to sail the Summit again especially since the refurb put new loungers in the Solarium!

I agree with everything you said!! Hi, Jean!! How have you been???

We are on the Summit again Nov.12 to Nov.26,2016 and we can't wait!!!

Thanks all for the reassurances. :) We love the M class ships and have a pretty realistic idea of what to expect - but I had never seen so many complaints about 1) very worn cabins and 2)poor bar service -- which have noticed slipping in the past few years.

We had the best cruise we've ever had this past May/June on Millie in Alaska - truly going to be hard to beat that one. April 2 we will head out on Infinity for 15 nights and our first time back in a suite with Luminae -- so that adds to our excitement.

Because we usually only take one cruise a year - I have to choose carefully and as we live in Florida -- the Caribbean, been there and done that -- holds no interest. Cool weather cruises are attractive to me. :D I will watch for the remainder of Oct. reviews to come in before deciding.

We were on the 10/2/2016 Canada/New England cruise and had a wonderful time - even with the uneven weather. It seemed to be a happy ship with happy crew (this was our experience, others may differ). The service we received was very good as was the food and the ship was in fine condition. Our cabin was in good repair (not a suite) and very comfortable and nicely furnished. This is a cruise on the Summit we would definitely like to repeat.

This....Some of the complaints are questionable, such as not being picked for a cooking contest, or having to wait with a beeper for Select Dining.

Most people who complain are the ones with unreal expectations that can never be fulfilled.

I was on the Summit in April and we wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. Since you say you have sailed on other M class ships and enjoyed them, you really have no reason not to expect an enjoyable voyage on the Summit.

It's really hard to understand where some of the super negative reviews come from. I can understand being disappointed in one specific thing or another, but you'd think after reading some reviews that Summit is a barnacle encrusted rust bucket, lacking any comforts, and without an edible bite of food to be found on board. I try to account for the fact that tastes and preferences vary from person to person, but some people are just incredibly hard to please. If you've ever worked in a customer service position, I'm sure you are familiar with the type of customer or client who is never satisfied and is always quick to complain. I did witness a few grumpy and disagreeable passengers when I was on board Summit, so perhaps these are the same people that write those sorts of misleading and unrealistic reviews.

When I reviewed my trip on Summit (which is on the boards here), I believe I described her as "aging gracefully" in places, but that she is still a very lovely ship. I had a few gripes, mostly about Tuscan Grille, but overall we loved being on the Summit and wish we were back on her now.

I have yet to sail on an S class ship, but from what I can tell they do appear to be spectacular. However nice the S class may be, I still can't imagine that ever taking anything away from how charming, classy, and comfortable the M class ships are. I hope they are around for many years to come.

Edited by conquesodor

We were on Summit in July to Bermuda, first time sailing with Celebrity but our 7th cruise overall, and it was our favorite one yet. We LOVED the Summit, it is in great shape, and the crew is top notch. As long as your not expecting a brand new ship, and you wont be if your familiar with the M class, you will have a fabulous time!! I read all the bad reviews too, and was worried myself, trust me there is nothing to worry about! :)

The timing of the fall colors is different every year depending upon the weather conditions for that particular year. The amount of rain and sunshine can make a big difference. This year has not been a good year in terms of the fall colors in our area. Lots of trees are still green with little color change and we are close to the end of October!

I just finished my review on the Oct 2 Summit cruise. It will probably be published tomorrow. Anyway, other than a couple bad weather days and a muster from hell, it was a great cruise. My one piece of advice is to book the last cruise of the season as that will be your best bet at seeing fall colors. Ours was the last of the season and even we didn't see colors much until Quebec. Even on the way back, the leaves had not changed in Boston.

Mark - Outside of Quebec, the leaves were not spectacular on our cruise, but it didn't bother me because I new that once I got back home, we would see our beautiful TN mountains turning later this month. :)

This....Some of the complaints are questionable, such as not being picked for a cooking contest, or having to wait with a beeper for Select Dining.

Not sure that complaints about the beepers are questionable. We met friends on our cruise that were frustrated to have Select + nightly reservations, and still had a wait of up to 45 minutes each evening. They had beepers. (We have been given beepers on another cruise.) There were two lines. One with, and one without reservations. According to our friends, the without line almost always was faster. They said that many passengers would arrive without reservations and were seated almost immediately.

Also on our cruise the Traditional, Early Seating time was 5:30. :eek: This may have played a roll in the back-up. Perhaps passengers that were assigned early seating decided to switch to Select once onboard.

I have never been on the Summit, but my travel agent just returned from the Summit New England/Canada itinerary. She cruises on several different lines each year and has the opportunity to compare ships and lines (her favorite lines are Celebrity and RCCL). She said the Summit was in fabulous condition and she is 100% satisfied. She said Capt. Kate was very approachable and could be seen everywhere. She tried Qsine for the first time and it was one of the most pleasurable meals she has had anywhere, land or sea.

We love the M class ships (been on Constellation and Infinity). You will have a great time on the Summit. Don't listen to the naysayers!

What time did they arrive at the MDR?

[quote name='Iamthesea;51398609

Not sure that complaints about the beepers are questionable. We met friends on our cruise that were frustrated to have Select + nightly reservations' date=' and still had a wait of up to 45 minutes each evening. They had beepers. (We have been given beepers on another cruise.) There were two lines. One with, and one without reservations. According to our friends, the without line almost always was faster. They said that many passengers would arrive without reservations and were seated almost immediately. [/b']

Also on our cruise the Traditional, Early Seating time was 5:30. :eek: This may have played a roll in the back-up. Perhaps passengers that were assigned early seating decided to switch to Select once onboard.

We were on the Oct 2 sailing. One of the best cruises we've ever done. Captain Kate was amazing and so was the crew. Our concierge cabin was in great condition. It looked like the hallway carpets were new. Our balcony was a little rusty when we boarded but it was painted while we were in port on day 2. I would not hesitate to sail Summit again.

Not sure that complaints about the beepers are questionable. We met friends on our cruise that were frustrated to have Select + nightly reservations, and still had a wait of up to 45 minutes each evening. They had beepers. (We have been given beepers on another cruise.) There were two lines. One with, and one without reservations. According to our friends, the without line almost always was faster. They said that many passengers would arrive without reservations and were seated almost immediately.

Yes, that makes sense. If you want a table for two next to a window, you could have a long wait with a beeper. If you show up without a reservation or beeper, and will take a table for 6 or 8, anywhere, you are likely to be seated quickly.

We have been on the Summit 3 times and enjoyed each voyage. We have done the New England cruises on other ships and found it very enjoyable. With that being said, I do have to say that I prefer the newer ships...so much more to do, and so much more of a WOW factor.

Thanks all for the reassurances. :) We love the M class ships and have a pretty realistic idea of what to expect - but I had never seen so many complaints about 1) very worn cabins and 2)poor bar service -- which have noticed slipping in the past few years.

We had the best cruise we've ever had this past May/June on Millie in Alaska - truly going to be hard to beat that one. April 2 we will head out on Infinity for 15 nights and our first time back in a suite with Luminae -- so that adds to our excitement.

Because we usually only take one cruise a year - I have to choose carefully and as we live in Florida -- the Caribbean, been there and done that -- holds no interest. Cool weather cruises are attractive to me. :D I will watch for the remainder of Oct. reviews to come in before deciding.

We just were on the Summit last week and I have to say that this decision has to be up to you. I have another cruise for May booked on the summit but am thinking of changing it but that is me. Every person has a different opinion. I thought she needed done sprucing up for sure. Staff was good drinks were terrible entertainment lacking food great. But those are all my opinions and it depends on what you are looking for! I think if you are going because of itinerary then don't change. What is you focus on the cruise and what is important to you. We all have different priorities and for me those priorities vary from trip to trip.

The number of people who post reviews here (or any other site),is a small percentage of the total. I always read the reviews and sift through the comments and see if there is a definite trend on a particular topic (good or bad) and then make a decision.

Amazing how people on the same sailing can have entirely different experiences.

We were on the 9/4 Summit which was impacted by Hermine. For the first couple of days there was rain and wind which kept the outer decks off-limits. This might have made a few folks a little cranky. We however had a great time. Food, service and itinerary were all top notch. Loved the overnight in Quebec. Certainly plan to do it again.

And yeah, Summit isn't a new ship. We however appreciate the elegance of M class. The rich hardwood decor certainly outshines the chrome and glitz you find on newer ships.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

I think the composition of the passengers can result in more lower reviews with complaints.

The first cruise that we did in 2010 was on the NCL Gem that operated mainly out of NYC, but also moved to the MED.

I read a lot of bad reviews about the Gem and got worried, then I looked closer and find that the reviews out of NYC were not as good as the generally good reviews while the ship was in the Med. The cruise turned out pretty good.

On an RCCL ship once I was in the elevator thinking to myself how wonderful dinner was! When next to me is a man that noticed the Officers on the elevator and asked their positions. I stood there stunned to here him say "it was his worse cruise ever" and proceed to complain about the food.

It actually made me very sad for the Officers and all the staff. I think some folks just like to complain as it is their once chance in life to feel powerful. Some have legitimate reasons to complain but you will find their complaints detailed and not general. As for me? And day on a cruise ship that is not sinking is a great day! I roll with the negative and LOVE every other second. Life is much too short to be bitter!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the October 2nd cruise. Fantastic itinerary and we had a great time.

The ship is fine and we didn't notice any issues.

We were however very unhappy with Select dining arrangements as despite booking times from the Uk before we left we ended up having to queue most nights. Once inside the dining room service was excellent and the food fine.

The problem was entirely with the booking into the dining room people who seemed unaware of vacant tables in the dining room.

We were on the Summit in July and found it completely satisfactory. New, no, but just fine. I prefer the M class ships, at least over the one S class ship we've been on. The size is just right for me: big enough to have plenty of amenties and small enough to get around easily.

I did a review on that one...have not been on the NE itinerary on X.

I agree with everything you said!! Hi, Jean!! How have you been???

We are on the Summit again Nov.12 to Nov.26,2016 and we can't wait!!!

Hi Jim,

We are on the Reflection on Nov 5. It's been years since we have sailed S class. We are doing the Western Caribben. Only Cozumel will be a repeat port. We are in Florida right now so it's just a trip across Alligator Alley for us. Love the Summit and Captain Alex. Enjoy!

Hi Jim,

We are on the Reflection on Nov 5. It's been years since we have sailed S class. We are doing the Western Caribben. Only Cozumel will be a repeat port. We are in Florida right now so it's just a trip across Alligator Alley for us. Love the Summit and Captain Alex. Enjoy!

I see you are on the Equinox next year with us..October 27, 2017!! Should be fun!

We were on the Reflection last year...loved it! It was decorated for Christmas!

Check out our video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4nodA-Y6pQ

When you get back to Ct, Toni and I would love to meet for drinks!