Navigator App

knittinggirl

Disney sent us an email telling us not to bring our smart phone. No worries, our cell phone is one step away from those old bag phones.

Did they say not to bring any smart phone or did they say that the Samsung phone that has been catching on fire is prohibited? We haven't cruised since the issue came up.

Honestly I'd be upset if they started banning all smart phones. How are you supposed to handle late flights, flight cancelations, and other transportation issues? And what if you are doing more than just cruising on the vacation?

Does it work on the Kindle Fire?

I have used the app both on Android and iOS on past cruises. It seemed to work more reliably on a recent cruise on the Dream compared to last year on the Wonder.

As long as it is updated (it usually is), it is great to use in lieu of the paper navigator, particularly now that they seem to have moved to a one-page paper version after embarkation day.

We also use the app primarily to chat with other members of our traveling party, including older kids, as we don't care much for the Wave phones and only keep on on us if we have dropped off any younger kids at the Oceaneer's Club or Lab. Be forewarned though, there are way too many Disney/Pixar/Star Wars/Marvel emoji that can be utilized in a message, and we had to get used to it when sent a text from any of the kids. :)

One thing I will note is that the current version only has vibration alerts when you receive a text, so on iOS, you should put the phone in silent mode using the switch on the side. On android, well you will have to figure it out, based on your device.

To your question about the Kindle Fire, if you can get the Google Play store on your Kindle Fire (you can but will have to search the internet for directions), then you can download the app and it should work. How to get the Google Play store onto a Kindle Fire is beyond the scope of a forum post. Just google it. :)

Edited by cruiseabuser

Did they say not to bring any smart phone or did they say that the Samsung phone that has been catching on fire is prohibited? We haven't cruised since the issue came up.

Honestly I'd be upset if they started banning all smart phones. How are you supposed to handle late flights' date=' flight cancelations, and other transportation issues? And what if you are doing more than just cruising on the vacation?[/quote']

I think they meant the flammable smart phone.

Personally, I hope they give us everything on paper that we can get on the app.

I'm a bit concerned for you after your posts.

The email obviously said not to bring a Samsung Note 7 smartphone on the cruise, but you interpreted that as not to bring your smartphone period.

And now you only think it meant the Samsung Note 7, not definite.

You will receive a book from DCL before your cruise with some VERY important details about what to do, what not to bring, and what you can bring, along with advice on many things such as when to attach your luggage tags.

You really need to read this and understand all of the documentation as it could have repercussions that could affect your cruise.

Just recently another cruiser posted that a member of their party attached the luggage tags too early and that resulted in their luggage going straight to the ship, when they did not want that to happen.

Please take the time to read the book and understand everything it says, and if you are unsure, ask here, call a family member, your travel agent or DCL so you do understand everything.

Wishing you a fantastic cruise!

ex techie

THe only thing I can add to Techie's note above is "Don't Guess." You need to know what this booklet says, not what the skycap at your home airport says or what the taxi driver says.

The booklet seems very straightforward to me, but then I've been on the ships more than a few times. If you don't clearly understand it, call DCL.

Honestly I'd be upset if they started banning all smart phones. How are you supposed to handle late flights' date=' flight cancelations, and other transportation issues? And what if you are doing more than just cruising on the vacation?[/quote']

This is the email

From DCL and my TA

Hi Craig,

Just in case you have a Samsung Galaxy Note 7…

“The Federal Aviation Authority recently issued an emergency order prohibiting any Samsung Galaxy Note7 device from airline transportation, and the U.S. Coast Guard also released a marine safety alert for the same device. As a result, we have added this device to our prohibited items list for your client's sailing. Your assistance in communicating this information to your client is appreciated.

Guests that own a Samsung Galaxy Note7 should not board the ship with the device. If your client has one of these devices, we recommend they contact their service provider or visit the Samsung website at http://www.samsung.com/us/note7recall/ for detailed information on the recall."

I hope this helps.

What's so bad about the Galaxy Note 7(?). Is it the batteries or does the whole thing explode? Are other Samsung products safe?

Why didn't they test it before putting it out on the market?

We got our paperwork today, but I'm confused because I couldn't find when boarding starts.

We got our paperwork today, but I'm confused because I couldn't find when boarding starts.

When you do your online check in on DCL's website you will pick your port arrival time. When you check in at the port you will be given a boarding card number. The stated boarding time starts at 1pm, typically boarding will begin around 11:30 and start with concierge and then the boarding card numbers are called.

THe only thing I can add to Techie's note above is "Don't Guess." You need to know what this booklet says' date=' not what the skycap at your home airport says or what the taxi driver says.

The booklet seems very straightforward to me, but then I've been on the ships more than a few times. If you don't clearly understand it, call DCL.[/quote']

But WDW bus drivers are solid. You can take that to the bank.

What's so bad about the Galaxy Note 7(?). Is it the batteries or does the whole thing explode? Are other Samsung products safe?

Why didn't they test it before putting it out on the market?

There is always a rare chance that any phone with a lithium battery can burn or explode under certain conditions; when you are making hundreds of millions of devices, a few bad ones can get through testing and make it into the marketplace.

With the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, as far as we know, no definitive cause has been found by anyone (Samsung included) that explains why so many Note 7s have exploded. There are many theories, but they do not 100% know why yet. All they know is far more have been exploding or catching fire than you can maybe statistically expect in a batch of millions of phones manufactured.

Though much has been blamed on the battery, I am guessing there is something else that is involved as well. In any case, Samsung has discontinued the model and issued a full recall and it has been banned on airlines and cruise ships.

Edited by cruiseabuser