Question For Alaska Frequent Flyers

MAPCruises

We will only be able to swing one flying sightseeing tour on our Alaska trip.

Trying to decide between Ketchikan (Island Wings) to tour Misty Fjords and Glaciers. Icy Point Straight to tour the Glacier Bay (company TBD) or wait and tour Denali. We are cruising first (Vancouver to Seward) then doing land tour, so Denali would be our last stop. I know weather plays a big role in flight tours so Denali could always be our fall back. But for those of you who have done one or all of these flight seeing tours which area gave the most interesting flight? If you could only do one which would it be. Also any tour company recommendations much appreciated. Thanks!!

We will only be able to swing one flying sightseeing tour on our Alaska trip.

Trying to decide between Ketchikan (Island Wings) to tour Misty Fjords and Glaciers. Icy Point Straight to tour the Glacier Bay (company TBD) or wait and tour Denali. We are cruising first (Vancouver to Seward) then doing land tour' date=' so Denali would be our last stop. I know weather plays a big role in flight tours so Denali could always be our fall back. But for those of you who have done one or all of these flight seeing tours which area gave the most interesting flight? If you could only do one which would it be. Also any tour company recommendations much appreciated. Thanks!![/quote']

Don't know the details of your land tour (independent or group?) but I'd recommend waiting until the end and using an operator like Rust's in Anchorage - http://www.flyrusts.com/ - because they have a variety of options. You could fly to Denali, or if the weather's poor for Denali, you could go on one of their other trips, like Prince William Sound, bear viewing, etc. More options.

I'm not sure if you stop in Skagway but a flight over Glacier Bay is possible from here with Mountain Flying Service. Paul is based down in Haines but does flights from both Haines and Skagway. I thought it was great to see Glacier Bay from above after many trips in by cruise ship.

I've also flown with Island Wings in Ketchikan and would prefer the scenery over Glacier Bay by far.

I wasn't aware of Icy Straight Point flight seeing, can you provide more information?

Sorry put wrong city it is Skagway we are looking to do Glacier Bay flight from.

(on another note on Icy Point Straight, can not really find much to do there except Zip Line, Fishing, and Nature Walk and the excursions in this port seem to be even more expensive than other ports which is crazy because alaska excursions seem higher in general) This port may be a walk / hike port with no paid excursion.

And thanks for comments on the Glacier Bay flight I really want to see Glacier Bay and this may be our only chance. Hopefully weather cooperates.

We did a boat out and fly back from Misty Fjords and the boat part was by far the best because we got close up to waterfalls and the petroglyphs on the rocks. Would not have seen those from the plane although the flight back was spectacular.

One caution about flying up there - have a backup plan in case the weather conditions scrub the flight. Low ceilings and IFR conditions really ruin flightseeing.

Edited by Sequim88
tpyo

Are you doing your land tour on your own or through the cruise line? Are you stopping in Talkeetna? That is probably the best place to do flightseeing for Denali from - multiple options of operators and types of tours, best price vs. from Anchorage or Denali and best value for your money.

If you can find discounted coupons perhaps you could actually do two flightseeing trips.

Are you doing your land tour on your own or through the cruise line? Are you stopping in Talkeetna? That is probably the best place to do flightseeing for Denali from - multiple options of operators and types of tours, best price vs. from Anchorage or Denali and best value for your money.

If you can find discounted coupons perhaps you could actually do two flightseeing trips.

thanks for the comments. We are doing on our own. I priced out both ways and a little cheaper and more flexibility if we do on our own. We have rented (2) cars from the Avis at the Anchorage Airport. And yes we plan to stop at Talkeetna. I did note that tours out of there look a little cheaper than those from the northern area where we are staying. If you have a particular operator you would recommend please advise. Also, I have been looking fro coupons and have found a few for some excursions we were interested in but none for flying trips. Is this something that would be in the Coupon book? I have to Pay $80 for something we wont use anything out or.

(FWIW We are flying in to see bears at Anan Creek in Ketchikan - using Family Air & Are going to fly in to try for more bears in Kodiak.)

Flying to Anan Creek actually was one of my favorite flights. It felt more real since we were using the plane for actual transport, not just flightseeing.

We've done both Denali and Misty Fjords (Denali as a matter of luck because we were mainly using the plane as transport out of the middle of the park). The mountain was truly awe-inspiring, but in your position I'd probably do Misty Fjords. Given the variable weather, if you wait until the end of the trip, you may end up with no flightseeing. And I really love the water, so I thought the Misty Fjords area particularly beautiful.

Well after extensive excursion research and really wanting to do Emerald Lake and Yukon trail in Skagway I found a Glacier Bay flying trip out of Icy Strait. Since we are in port from 10:00 - 8:00 and there really isn't anything there I wanted to do except walk around town. This was an awesome find. If anyone is interested I am booking through Wings of Alaska: http://www.wingsofalaska.com/?page_id=45

Their rate is $500 per hour for entire plane and the lady I spoke with recommended 2 HR tour of glacier bay with 15 minute flight to and from bay entrance from Hoonah for a total of 2.5 hrs. The cost to rent plan is $500 / hr so $1,250 for 5 people or $250 each person. Less than what I was finding in Skagway (+/- $400pp for a 2 hr flight). So happy!! Now I get to see Glacier Bay and Emerald Lake!!!

That does sound like a good rate for flight seeing. (Both of my flights are transportation to a land based excursion, so not really comparable.)

I'm glad you found it & shared the website.

(Icy Straight point is supposed to be one of our "wander about" aka cheap days, but I'm tempted by this flight...)