New to Celebrity; conflicting answers from call centre

BabyJane8

Unfortunately, Celebrity requires you to be packed up and out of your cabin by 8 a.m. on debarkation day (which may still be 7 a.m to you on some itineraries if you have just changed time zones).

As much as we love Celebrity cruises, we must admit that their debarkation morning procedures are dreadful, very hectic and disorganized with people madly rushing about to and fro.

If you want to have a regular breakfast, you need to go to one of the dining venues to get it because Celebrity does not offer any room service breakfast at all that day (except for passengers in top suites).

So you need to wake up early, get dressed, finish packing and take all your carry-off luggage to breakfast with you, even though you may not be leaving the ship for several more hours.

Or, the other breakfast option is to get up very early and leave your belongings in your cabin while you go to get breakfast.

The advantages of doing it that way are that you can return to your cabin to wash up in your own bathroom, brush your teeth and finish packing after breakfast.

But if you do it that way, then you need to work your way back to your cabin against the traffic flow to retrieve your belongings, and then start out all over again later when you may not be able to get an elevator.

We have tried doing it both ways (take luggage with us to breakfast, or leave luggage in cabin and go back for it). Neither was satisfactory.

The other options are to skip breakfast and instead settle for pastries with coffee in the departure lounge, or wait and have breakfast somewhere else after you are off the ship.

For any previous Holland America passengers who are accustomed to the civilized, orderly way that HAL handles breakfast on debarkation day, the deficiencies of Celebrity's chaotic departure day proceedings are glaringly apparent by contrast.

Thank you! Actually, on the Disney ships that we've been on the debarkation day is similar, in that you have to vacate your room by a certain time with your carry on to go to breakfast. We've done both having breakfast first and then vacating the room and vice versa. But we have to have our larger luggage packed and in the hall by 10pm the night before. So I'm familiar with that procedure, I was just surprised when the call centre told me there was no breakfast supplied. I'd be interested to hear what Holland America's procedure is.

• 3 weeks later...
Y

There are two types of totes, basic and premium. Concierge class and above get both types of totes, lower staterooms just get just the basic tote. Both types are strong and durable and we use them for a variety purposes when we return home.

So, in a Sky Suite we should get both types of tote bags? My DH could care less but I LOVE tote bags. :)

Yes, you should get both, the one given to everyone is roomy but flimsy, think the totes you buy for $0.99 in your grocery store. The other one is a heavier canvas that comes in a pouch that zippers and can be hooked inside the tote to keep small items corralled. They either have leather or web handles. We've gotten so many that we give them to neighbors and friends.

Yes, you should get both, the one given to everyone is roomy but flimsy, think the totes you buy for $0.99 in your grocery store. The other one is a heavier canvas that comes in a pouch that zippers and can be hooked inside the tote to keep small items corralled. They either have leather or web handles. We've gotten so many that we give them to neighbors and friends.

Thanks for the speedy reply!