Nassau - Walk from port to Ardastra zoo alone?

bizeemom4

Hi there. I'll be going solo to Nassau next weekend. I wasn't planning to get off the ship but decided to check out the flamingo show at the Ardastra Zoo. I'm concerned about safety of walking to the zoo and back alone.

The ship excursion is $50. Admission to the zoo is around $18. Do I need to pay $32 more to ensure my safety or is this a safe walk for a single lady?

Edited by bizeemom4

Ask people when you get off ship if anyone is interested in the zoo

We usually rustle up a shared trip at taxi ranks in port if we haven't pre booked

But don't venture out by yourself in the Caribbean

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I walked it a few years ago. We decided to take a cab back and the driver was surprised when we said we walked there.

He firmly suggested not walking it again, telling us it passes through a drug infested part of town. We did walk past some really shady areas and people, but didn't have any issues. We won't walk it again!

Rob

The ship excursion isn't your only option. You could also take a cab there and back for something like $7 each way. If you get your own transportation, you can avoid the crowd and leave at your leisure. I highly recommend timing your visit around the lorry parrot feeding. That's a lot of fun to do. :)

I have walked from there with my husband but I would not be comfortable walking it alone.

My hubby and I walked it in 2014. I never felt in danger but it was really hot.

We are headed back in January and excited to see the flamingos again. We 100% plan to take a taxi as I heard it is less than $10 each way...saves our energy.

We loved Ardastra and the flamingos were really neat.

I second not using the ship's excursion. My mom and I walked there a few years ago with no issue but the heat. More recently, we took a cab and had no problem. Paying more than $50 for the ship's tour may leave you feeling ripped off. It is a lovely, little zoo that we have enjoyed several times but you will want to explore at your own pace, not that of a ship's tour.

• 2 weeks later...
The ship excursion isn't your only option. You could also take a cab there and back for something like $7 each way. If you get your own transportation, you can avoid the crowd and leave at your leisure. I highly recommend timing your visit around the lorry parrot feeding. That's a lot of fun to do. :)

I have walked from there with my husband but I would not be comfortable walking it alone.

I'll second this suggestion.

Take a cab there on your time.

Also definitely do not miss the Lorry Parrot feeding.

I had much more fun doing that over the marching flamingoes.

• 2 weeks later...

About how long should one plan on spending there? (I know that's somewhat subjective but a rough idea would be nice) I wanna go next Wednesday but having never been to Nassau, my travel partner wants to see a lot of the tack shops for the tourists and see the area around the port itself. We'll be in port 8am-5pm and just want an idea of how long it would take. We plan on taking a cab on our on to save some money and it looks on a map to be just over 2KM from the port.

I've walked to Fish Fry (only one time), Junkanoo Beach, Graycliff several times by myself and never felt afraid. I guess I'm naive/stupid :eek: but I'm planning on walking to Graycliff again in a week to get some cigars for my husband.

Edited by babs125

I've walked to Fish Fry (only one time), Junkanoo Beach, Graycliff several times by myself and never felt afraid. I guess I'm naive/stupid :eek: but I'm planning on walking to Graycliff again in a week to get some cigars for my husband.

Walking to Fish Fry and Junkanoo is all down the main tourist drag. You'll get hucksters and panhandlers but it is safe.

The Zoo is further inland and getting there does involve travel through some rough, non-touristy areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have walked alone, with expensive Cameras, there and back and around. But I've walked everywhere in the World in way more shady places ... This said I wouldn't recommend any lady to walk alone that far. NOT so much because of the shady characters (most just look shady to those that do not know/understand where these "characters" come from) BUT because the walk from the seafront (Fish Fry) up to the Adastra is very desolate and, yes, if any really bad characters are in the vicinity it can (and probably will) be unpleasant.

Solution: either go on a group or get a taxi.

• 3 weeks later...

Just take the #10 Jitney ($1.25) and tell the driver to let you off at Ardastra Zoo. It's just a short walk less than .25 mile to the Zoo. BTW this statement is not true.

Walking to Fish Fry and Junkanoo is all down the main tourist drag. You'll get hucksters and panhandlers but it is safe.

The Zoo is further inland and getting there does involve travel through some rough, non-touristy areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by FLACRUISER99