Cash for on-board account?

NoName

We purchased an upcoming cruise as a Christmas gift for our 2 sons, daughter-in-law, grandson and son's girlfriend. Our youngest son and his girlfriend do not have credit cards. I was hoping to pay for their gratuities for them, but then hoping they could just make a cash deposit for their on-board spending. They both have debit cards, but wouldn't want them to use them due to the "holds".

Can they make a cash deposit, or will I have to use my credit card for their on board purchases as well?

Kim

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Already-Booked/During-Your-Cruise.aspx#on-board-payment

We have recently implemented a new Onboard Payment System on our fleet.

After embarking and collecting the Cruise Card from your cabin, You should activate it for onboard purchases by self-registering your credit/debit/prepaid card at one of the Cruise Card Activation Points

You can do this independently, at any time from embarkation until 11:00pm the following day, at any of the Cruise Card Activation Points located around the ship. These new devices let you register your card simply, rapidly and securely. Please note that you will be asked to enter the PIN number.

Alternatively, you can leave cash deposit at the Reception – Guest Service.

You can settle your final bill in any of the following three ways:

- by credit card

The following credit cards are accepted: Visa, , MasterCard, Diners, JCB, Discover and American Express.

If you choose to pay by credit card, your account will be closed automatically at the end of the cruise, so there is no need to go to the Reception – Guest Service.

- by debit or prepaid card

you should make sure that your debit/prepaid card is enabled for use abroad.

The following debit cards are accepted: Maestro, Visa Debit, Visa Electron, MasterCard debit

Any amount debited to your card and not spent during your cruise will be reimbursed in cash at the Reception - Guest Service on the final morning before disembarkation.

- in cash

Any amount deposited in cash and not spent during the cruise will be reimbursed in cash at the Reception - Guest Service on the final morning before disembarkation.

Please note that personal cheques are not accepted.

We just got off Divina today, and we put cash on our account. Even though they indicate that you can come to Customer Service the morning of disembarkation and be refunded any money remaining on your account, my husband took care of ours the night before, and we had no problem getting our cash back.

We were afraid that if we waited until the morning of disembarkation, we'd be waiting in a long line, so we just took care of it before we went to bed the night before.

• 6 months later...
We just got off Divina today, and we put cash on our account. Even though they indicate that you can come to Customer Service the morning of disembarkation and be refunded any money remaining on your account, my husband took care of ours the night before, and we had no problem getting our cash back.

We were afraid that if we waited until the morning of disembarkation, we'd be waiting in a long line, so we just took care of it before we went to bed the night before.

Hi sorry to resurrect an old thread but can I ask was there a minimum amount you had to put on deposit in cash for your room account ? Heading off on the 7th of may and just trying to plan ahead

An option that we have exercised on other cruise lines is to purchase onboard credit (OBC) for use during our cruises. For our cruise in June, I've purchased $1000 in OBC for our family. When they close out your account on the final night of the cruise, they take any OBC first, then charge your card for any remaining balance (or they put any OBC back on the card used to make the purchase). For example: You have $500 OBC remaining at the end of your cruise, and you've got $750 of charges to be settled. They apply the $500 OBC first, then charge your credit card for the remaining $250 to settle your final bill.

• 9 months later...

:)thanks for this info. Hope it's still like this now in 2018.

We cruise in March.

An option that we have exercised on other cruise lines is to purchase onboard credit (OBC) for use during our cruises. For our cruise in June, I've purchased $1000 in OBC for our family. When they close out your account on the final night of the cruise, they take any OBC first, then charge your card for any remaining balance (or they put any OBC back on the card used to make the purchase). For example: You have $500 OBC remaining at the end of your cruise, and you've got $750 of charges to be settled. They apply the $500 OBC first, then charge your credit card for the remaining $250 to settle your final bill.